Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
BetaTesterZERO

Default Tenacity Power (provisional name): a D&D like HP

Hello everyone!

I'm helping to create an environment Hack'n Slash and I have heard complaints from people who think the defense played GURPS a bit tedious (not that I agree but you need to ensure the enjoyment of the players).

To work around this issue I intend to grant the players a DR that emulates a defensive instinct, this instinct that goes fading with increasing stress.

Each player would take this DR with points acquired sacrificing their passive defenses (which would be useless in the scenario).

To emulate this DR have the following characteristics:

Force Field, +20%: With this attack we objectify the character around it will not affect you.

Affects Others, +?%: The idea here is to apply this extension only for horses, when appropriate.

Ablative, -80%: Logically it is expected that the TP is not infinite, with this feature it will decrease in proportion to the damage they take. Also in this category is expected that the power lost is restored exactly as with HP and FP.

Aspected: Combat, -20%: Within this parameter TP could only be used in the result of a battle, never out of it.

Acessibility: Only When the Defense Maneuver is Alowed -?%: This is only feasible where the character can defend themselves. This total excludes attacks, disability, stun, surprise, critical hits the opponent, etc..

Nuisance Effet: Defense forbids Rollings, -?%: When the adventurous as you want to enjoy it must forgo the usual maneuvers of defense (dodge, parry and block), after all, it is a synthesis of all this in a more instinctive.

Nuisance Effect: Looses the Force Field Enhancement if the Opponent's Attack Rolls 6 or Less -?%: If the offender was well enough on the test (3d6 less than or equal to 6) even though it does not reach the opponent he gets a brief contact with your body - as long as the damage is also greater than the DR of armor - or simply touches the armor. This may open the door for effects that require contact (but not necessarily damage) to propagate.

Added to this is the fact that I want to add a Regeneration (Very Fast) exclusively to cure TP - this cure only count the time elapsed out of combat - and I do not know how much it would cost (with appropriate adjustments).
BetaTesterZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Tenacity Power (provisional name): a D&D like HP

Interesting. Kromm suggested a Vitality Reserve a while back.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
BetaTesterZERO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Interesting. Kromm suggested a Vitality Reserve a while back.
How many it costs?
Old 11-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaTesterZERO View Post
How many it costs?
2 points per level. I used it a while back in a cyberpunk game and it worked out quite well.

Become a Patron!
Old 11-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
BetaTesterZERO

It is a good idea, but I wonder how it would look if it were applied the above limitations and extensions.

Force Field is appropriate?

And regeneration only focused on VR, how many it would cost?
Old 11-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
It is a good idea, but I wonder how it would look if it were applied the above limitations and extensions.

Force Field is appropriate?

And regeneration only focused on VR, how many it would cost?
You wouldn't need Force Field at all, though if you wanted a mount or something like that to be able to use your reserve you'd need Affect Others (+50%). Regeneration would cost the same, but would have a special modifier: Vitality Reserve only, +0%

Become a Patron!
Old 11-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #7
The Benj

Quote:
Affects Others, +?%: The idea here is to apply this extension only for horses, when appropriate.
Interesting. Is that meant to be a universal, "I can defend my mount" thing, or more specific, like a Paladin's ability to protect their mount?

Quote:
Aspected: Combat, -20%: Within this parameter TP could only be used in the result of a battle, never out of it.
Is the idea behind this that you can't use it to defend against surprise attacks? (covered by the next Accessibility) That you can't use it to resist hazards like running through a burning building or being poisoned? What's the point of this Limitation?

Quote:
Acessibility: Only When the Defense Maneuver is Alowed -?%: This is only feasible where the character can defend themselves. This total excludes attacks, disability, stun, surprise, critical hits the opponent, etc..

Nuisance Effet: Defense forbids Rollings, -?%: When the adventurous as you want to enjoy it must forgo the usual maneuvers of defense (dodge, parry and block), after all, it is a synthesis of all this in a more instinctive.
So you have to decide to give up rolling an Active Defence in order to use Tenacity? That seems ... like it's probably a bad deal.

Quote:
Nuisance Effect: Looses the Force Field Enhancement if the Opponent's Attack Rolls 6 or Less -?%: If the offender was well enough on the test (3d6 less than or equal to 6) even though it does not reach the opponent he gets a brief contact with your body - as long as the damage is also greater than the DR of armor - or simply touches the armor. This may open the door for effects that require contact (but not necessarily damage) to propagate.
Sounds like Unreliable on the Force Field Enhancement.

Quote:
Added to this is the fact that I want to add a Regeneration (Very Fast) exclusively to cure TP - this cure only count the time elapsed out of combat - and I do not know how much it would cost (with appropriate adjustments).
Regeneration: Very Fast (DR only -40%, Useless Under Stress -60%) [20]
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:13 AM   #8
Dwarf99

Well, I came across the complaint of active defenses being too much rolls. I said "Fine, take 10 on all defenses, for better or worse. Everyone attacks you against the difference between your highest relevant defense and 10. Got a defense of 8. They can fail by 2 and hit you. Got a defense of 13? They need MoS 3."
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:38 AM   #9
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99 View Post
Well, I came across the complaint of active defenses being too much rolls. I said "Fine, take 10 on all defenses, for better or worse. Everyone attacks you against the difference between your highest relevant defense and 10. Got a defense of 8. They can fail by 2 and hit you. Got a defense of 13? They need MoS 3."
How does this work when you don't get an Active Defence?
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:55 AM   #10
BetaTesterZERO

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
Is the idea behind this that you can't use it to defend against surprise attacks? (covered by the next Accessibility) That you can't use it to resist hazards like running through a burning building or being poisoned? What's the point of this Limitation?
The idea here is to give an advantage to those who use this subterfuge against the character also means that this "instinct" represented by the Tenacity Power momentarily ends when you're off guard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
So you have to decide to give up rolling an Active Defence in order to use Tenacity? That seems ... like it's probably a bad deal.
Whereas these defenses are useless someone could simply reduce the points of active defenses of the sheet to acquire, with the bonus points in this attribute. It would simply be an exchange.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf99 View Post
Sounds good, then it could also be the Extra Effort to boost defense.

Then comes another question: would be allowed to use more than one load of Extra Effort in a turn?

Tags
advantage, advantages, building things, mechanics