Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-20-2022, 08:12 AM   #1
JulianLW

Default Would you classify Area Effect, Cones, and Explosives as Common or Occasional?

Would you classify the kinds of damage not covered by Diffuse (Area Effect, Cones, or Explosives) as "Common" or "Occasional" damage types according to the "Limited Defenses" categories on B46?
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:15 AM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Would you classify Area Effect, Cones, and Explosives as Common or Occasional?

I'd call it Very Common myself.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:21 AM   #3
JulianLW

Default Re: Would you classify Area Effect, Cones, and Explosives as Common or Occasional?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I'd call it Very Common myself.
And yet these kinds of attacks, it seems to me, are almost only ever produced by exotic abilities or technology. Or am I wrong about that? And the definition for Occasional says "one specific class of damage that is usually produced only by exotic abilities or technology ...."

"Area Effect, Cones, and Explosives" seems less common to me than all ranged attacks or all melee attacks.
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:14 AM   #4
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianLW View Post
And yet these kinds of attacks, it seems to me, are almost only ever produced by exotic abilities or technology. Or am I wrong about that? And the definition for Occasional says "one specific class of damage that is usually produced only by exotic abilities or technology ...."

"Area Effect, Cones, and Explosives" seems less common to me than all ranged attacks or all melee attacks.
One consideration here is that, as a Diffuse target, foes are going to be trying as much as they can to use various flavors of "area of effect" against you, which inflates how common such attacks are for you to face. So, the GM would be justified in charging you for a more common level of... whatever trait you're buying with Limited: Area Effects (and I do feel that those three should just be treated as one category).

If it's "crushing areas of effect," Occasional is probably about right (it's a subset of a Common category) - but "all areas of effect" (crushing, burning, toxic, or fatigue normally, but in some settings cutting, piercing, and impaling AoE's might exist), that's a category higher, for Common. And being Diffuse means it's appropriate to charge you for one category higher, so Very Common.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:50 AM   #5
Fred Brackin

Quote:
And yet these kinds of attacks, it seems to me, are almost only ever produced by exotic abilities or technology. Or am I wrong about that? .
Nope. Your class will probably be one category less common than "magic" or possibly "heavy weapons" at TL4+.

If a Diffuse character somehow ended up in an otherwise mundane/historical TL3 or less setting the attacks he was vulnerable to would be so scarce as to provide no discount at all.
Old 01-20-2022, 03:19 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:

Maybe, but it's a combination of multiple types of Very Common factors - most listed can cause these sorts of effects.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 03:24 PM   #7
Anthony

The most common source of area effect damage at low tech is large scale fire. Which is historically a pretty popular type of attack, but still probably not more than Common.
Old 01-20-2022, 03:30 PM   #8
David Johnston2

Quote:
Would you classify the kinds of damage not covered by Diffuse (Area Effect, Cones, or Explosives) as "Common" or "Occasional" damage types according to the "Limited Defenses" categories on B46?
Fire is a common threat in most campaigns.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage types, diffuse, limited defenses