Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-24-2017, 06:19 PM   #1
Culture20

Default [Supers] Warp affliction: exoteleport and naked

A player in my Marvel game made something weird and from what I can tell, the only rules preventing it are common sense and rule zero:
A Warp Affliction power using Exoteleport (okay, everything's stock Supers exoteleport so far), but the warp power also has Naked. My initial reaction was to disallow it outright, mostly because Naked talks only about teleporting oneself, but there's no incompatibility warning in the Exoteleport description in Supers, and exoteleport can teleport yourself...
If it were valid to apply, would it:
  1. Do nothing unless the affliction was directed at oneself, then act as written?
  2. Make any target arrive naked post teleport?
  3. Be reinterpreted to only allow teleporting if the user or targets are already naked?
I considered also disallowing it because (2) makes it an incredibly powerful disarming attack for less points. (teleport one yard) But it also reduces its utility as other PC transport.
(3) seems the most fair, as it is a limitation. (1) seems the most RAW.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:31 PM   #2
chandley

Default Re: [Supers] Warp affliction: exoteleport and naked

I'd pick 2. And Im not sure why that would be a problem, they are paying a bunch of points for a resisted by QC of Will way of stripping people naked. Weird, but not overwhelming. Lot of bricks won't even notice. Or blasters for that matter. But the annoying ninja could be inconvenienced.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:44 PM   #3
David Johnston2

I wouldn't give a price break on "Naked". It's not disadvantageous for the Afflictor the way it is for the teleporter.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:00 PM   #4
whswhs

It clearly has to be 3. It can't be 2, because the ability to get Iron Man out of his armor is far too useful to be treated as giving a price break, or even allow for free. Besides, if you teleport yourself, and have the Naked requirement, it doesn't mean you teleport out of your clothes; it means you have to take them off first. So it should be the same for teleporting others.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:20 PM   #5
Culture20

Well, the standard Naked limitation does mean that you teleport out of your clothes. "You always arrive naked", versus "you must be naked before teleporting", which is why (1) and (2) seem slightly plausible, albeit point crocks.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:35 PM   #6
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

I would agree that it’s #2. Sure, it could be used to teleport an enemy out of their armor, but it couldn’t be used to teleport an armored friend somewhere more useful.

Iron Man got to buy his suit at a discount for being a gadget. This is just one of those times that a limitation for one ability exacerbates the limitations of another.

To me, it’s still a limitation, as it limits the use of the ability. The fact that it can be used as an effective Nerf bat against gadgeteers/battesuits is not as useful as the inability to teleport someone with anything else useful. Additionally, if your own team includes people who wear their powers as gadgets . . . they’re not going to be able to make use of this transportation method. I would include it as a limitation at the standard price.

If it’s an affliction, it’s not likely to penetrate the DR of the suit to affect the target. If it’s a malediction, then there’s no reason it couldn’t pull someone out of their suit.

Last edited by Mark Skarr; 07-24-2017 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Added another thought.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:07 AM   #7
Nereidalbel

Since poofing your friends around is at least as useful as poofing your enemies away, I would treat it as option 2. Also, unless he bought Malediction on it, DR adds to the resistance roll!
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:19 PM   #8
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
I would agree that it’s #2. Sure, it could be used to teleport an enemy out of their armor, but it couldn’t be used to teleport an armored friend somewhere more useful.
Absolutely. Affliction: Warp is far more often going to be used on your friends instead of your enemies. Effectively taking that away and you might as well compare Heart Attack or Banishment (from Powers).
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:35 PM   #9
Anthony

A general problem with affliction (advantage) is that, when used to attack, its point value is poorly correlated with the effect granted. For an obvious case, apply something like Temperature Tolerance 1 (nuisance effect: bunches and lots) [1]. Hey look, infinite penalties for a +10% enhancement.

I generally solve this by only counting limitations based on how limiting they are to controller of the power.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:00 PM   #10
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
A general problem with affliction (advantage) is that, when used to attack, its point value is poorly correlated with the effect granted. For an obvious case, apply something like Temperature Tolerance 1 (nuisance effect: bunches and lots) [1]. Hey look, infinite penalties for a +10% enhancement.

I generally solve this by only counting limitations based on how limiting they are to controller of the power.
I'd only allow that Affliction if the Temperature Tolerance was granted, not forced. Especially since Nuisance Effects are on how the power is used. Or, say it was Costs 10HP; You give someone the ability to spend 10HP to have Temperature Tolerance 1.

To have a better example, take the Warp in the discussion. I can either give someone Warp for minutes equal to failure OR move someone once with Warp. Either option is available as an affliction. Exoteleport is intended for Warp: Affliction, not normal Warp. Naked is a downside, and does limit how useful the power is for the user (since hurting enemies is almost always less useful than helping allies).
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supers, warp