Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-24-2017, 06:19 PM   #1
Culture20

Default [Supers] Warp affliction: exoteleport and naked

A player in my Marvel game made something weird and from what I can tell, the only rules preventing it are common sense and rule zero:
A Warp Affliction power using Exoteleport (okay, everything's stock Supers exoteleport so far), but the warp power also has Naked. My initial reaction was to disallow it outright, mostly because Naked talks only about teleporting oneself, but there's no incompatibility warning in the Exoteleport description in Supers, and exoteleport can teleport yourself...
If it were valid to apply, would it:
  1. Do nothing unless the affliction was directed at oneself, then act as written?
  2. Make any target arrive naked post teleport?
  3. Be reinterpreted to only allow teleporting if the user or targets are already naked?
I considered also disallowing it because (2) makes it an incredibly powerful disarming attack for less points. (teleport one yard) But it also reduces its utility as other PC transport.
(3) seems the most fair, as it is a limitation. (1) seems the most RAW.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:31 PM   #2
chandley

Default Re: [Supers] Warp affliction: exoteleport and naked

I'd pick 2. And Im not sure why that would be a problem, they are paying a bunch of points for a resisted by QC of Will way of stripping people naked. Weird, but not overwhelming. Lot of bricks won't even notice. Or blasters for that matter. But the annoying ninja could be inconvenienced.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:44 PM   #3
David Johnston2

I wouldn't give a price break on "Naked". It's not disadvantageous for the Afflictor the way it is for the teleporter.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:00 PM   #4
whswhs

It clearly has to be 3. It can't be 2, because the ability to get Iron Man out of his armor is far too useful to be treated as giving a price break, or even allow for free. Besides, if you teleport yourself, and have the Naked requirement, it doesn't mean you teleport out of your clothes; it means you have to take them off first. So it should be the same for teleporting others.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:20 PM   #5
Culture20

Well, the standard Naked limitation does mean that you teleport out of your clothes. "You always arrive naked", versus "you must be naked before teleporting", which is why (1) and (2) seem slightly plausible, albeit point crocks.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:35 PM   #6
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

I would agree that it’s #2. Sure, it could be used to teleport an enemy out of their armor, but it couldn’t be used to teleport an armored friend somewhere more useful.

Iron Man got to buy his suit at a discount for being a gadget. This is just one of those times that a limitation for one ability exacerbates the limitations of another.

To me, it’s still a limitation, as it limits the use of the ability. The fact that it can be used as an effective Nerf bat against gadgeteers/battesuits is not as useful as the inability to teleport someone with anything else useful. Additionally, if your own team includes people who wear their powers as gadgets . . . they’re not going to be able to make use of this transportation method. I would include it as a limitation at the standard price.

If it’s an affliction, it’s not likely to penetrate the DR of the suit to affect the target. If it’s a malediction, then there’s no reason it couldn’t pull someone out of their suit.

Last edited by Mark Skarr; 07-24-2017 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Added another thought.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:05 AM   #7
Jariel

The easiest thing to do is use Cosmic +50% (targets are nude upon arrival) since it's is an advantage for the character to strip enemies of their gear. Personally this seems like an excellent alternative ability for the Exoteleport power and you might want to discuss this with the player. Another thing to discuss is how others will react to the super using this ability. You could use it to strip an enemy of gear, but since it also takes their clothes this becomes an issue especially when used in public against female villains. Using this ability too often can easily lead to new enemies and a bad reputation amongst allies. That's why I suggested using Cosmic since you can alter the power to only strip away enemies gear and leave their normal clothes, i.e. Cosmic +50% (removes targets gear, but leaves clothing intact)
Jariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:30 AM   #8
Anthony

Based on the various disabling conditions, an affliction that simply removed gear (without any other teleport effects) would likely be in the +100% range (on affliction); given that teleport other (naked) is still +700%, it's not a big abuse here.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:20 AM   #9
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jariel View Post
You could use it to strip an enemy of gear, but since it also takes their clothes this becomes an issue especially when used in public against female villains.
Setting aside questions of sexual assault by people who are clearly horrible anyways, naked women mostly face a lot of social repercussions in Western countries. Naked men, in the wrong context, are regarded as pretty dang threatening. In a conflict with the police, not having pants on tends to make things worse for you, and you really really don't want to end up near e.g. childrens playgrounds, schoolyards.

Being naked in an inappropriate context for either gender makes you look crazy, and being a crazy-looking supervillain is going to escalate the situation.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:04 AM   #10
Not another shrubbery

Naked is a limitation on vanilla Warp because it is removing part of the functionality of the advantage (the intrinsic ability to carry stuff). Obviously, this is not a limitation when Warp is used as an attack by making it an Affliction, since separating enemies from their equipment will almost never be a bad thing. If someone wanted Exoteleport to use solely as an attack, then Naked becomes effectively an Enhancement, as teleporting an enemy away and leaving all their stuff behind is worse for them than getting to keep their stuff with them. If they just wanted it to move their allies around, I'd say to buy it as a beneficial Affliction, which would be just as limited by Naked as regular Warp. If they want the flexibility implied by a standard Affliction build, it is probably safe to treat Naked as a feature level (+0%) modifier.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supers, warp