Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 12-18-2021, 02:29 PM   #1
SID

Default SID's Star Wars Campaign (OOC)

Hello there! This will be the Star Wars campaign out-of-character (OOC) thread:
  • You can discuss your roles here; I can also answer to your character creation questions here.
  • Send your stuff via PM, GCS (GURPS character sheet) format preferred.
  • Guidelines here.
  • Still recruiting!
The campaign's overview:
  • Player characters start out as mercenaries working for some organization in Nar Shaddaa, all of you may have different reasons for being there (you can be friends before getting there, but the force will bring you together anyway...).
  • The group will start with small jobs in Nar Shaddaa and depending on the achievements, the party could acquire bigger missions or even get to stuff that could shake the galaxy.
  • Regarding character creation, you can use almost anything from the lore and the expanded universe, all I need is the source.
  • Stuff that may exist 50 years after the "new trilogy" will be available to the player characters (planets, people, ships, etc.)... IF you have the time and resources to find it.
Big thanks to Beth for her support.

Q&A
  • Characters will know at least two languanges: Common or english, and their race's language. You can buy other languages, it'll be useful (cultural familiarity skills help). Occult languages such a "Sith" or the like might require an unusual background.
Advantages that work per session or session time will work under a post/player basis:
  • Destiny (impulse buys) regenerates every 10 posts * Destiny points * players. Example, 10 posts * DP * 3 players = 30 posts.
  • Gizmo regenerates every 20 posts * players. Example, 20 * 3 players = 60 posts.
  • Luck regenerates every 10 posts * players. Example, 10 * 3 players = 30 posts.
  • Serendipity regenerates every 20 posts * players. So, 20 posts * 3 players = 60 posts.
  • Wild-Card Points, you can have bang skills or style skills (wildcards, only 1 wildcard BTW), and we'll be using wildcard-points. Wildcard-points will regens every [(Wildcard POINTS/3) * 10 posts * players]. Example, for someone with 72 CP invested in a style (6 wild-points or WP), it takes 60 posts to reset the WP, calculated as [ (6 w-points/3) *10 posts*3 players = 60].
Uses are non-cumulative, if you don't call the advantage then it's wasted.

Game philosophy:
  • The aim is running a fun, compelling game, with dedicated players.
  • Good game-play takes precedence over dice rolling.
  • The setting will be challenging, dangerous, gritty and nebulous.
  • Player characters might feel off-balance most of the time; you'll have to think for yourself and take nothing for granted.
  • The adventure is a loosely guided sandbox; you start with a premise or goal, and then it’s mostly up to you.
  • Your actions are taken "seriously" and will build your reputation; for example, if you kill a group of thugs and run away without any witnesses or testimony to support it was self-defense, it might be considered a murder until proven otherwise. If you aid a weapon smuggler you might cut a good deal at the black market… But don’t be sad if those weapons are used to subdue a peaceful town and if later, somebody comes after you because of that offering a new job or claiming the prize on your head. This works the other way too, if you help people and make good deeds, your reputation will also build up in a more positive direction.

Last edited by SID; 03-21-2023 at 03:17 PM.
SID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 03:34 PM   #2
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: SID's Star Wars Campaign (OOC)

Hello Sid! Thanks for running!

I am interested in a force user, and I see in your looking for players post that you want to use the Sorcerer template.

Is there room for some variation? There isn't a lot of foom for Force swordsmanship, and I'd like to be able to add something like weapon master: Force sword or depart from the template a bit in other ways.

Will Luck and 'Per-game-session' abilities be Game Time, or will they have a per x-many-post regeneration?

I'm thinking of an exiled Chiss, whose parents fled the empire when they found their child to be force sensitive...

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 12-18-2021 at 04:05 PM.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 06:12 PM   #3
PumpkinLorica

I want to play an Ewok Pilot, Seeker, and Tech Fixer. (๑>◡<๑)
Old 12-18-2021, 07:01 PM   #4
SID

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Hello Sid! Thanks for running!

I am interested in a force user, and I see in your looking for players post that you want to use the Sorcerer template.

Is there room for some variation? There isn't a lot of foom for Force swordsmanship, and I'd like to be able to add something like weapon master: Force sword or depart from the template a bit in other ways.

Will Luck and 'Per-game-session' abilities be Game Time, or will they have a per x-many-post regeneration?

I'm thinking of an exiled Chiss, whose parents fled the empire when they found their child to be force sensitive...
Yes, you can tailor the template to your tastes. I'll check it and come to an agreement with you.

Luck and other real-time advantages will work per number of posts. This will vary with the number of players; right now it's 30 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinLorica View Post
I want to play an Ewok Pilot, Seeker, and Tech Fixer. (๑>◡<๑)
OK, hopefully you'll reach the pedals.
Old 12-18-2021, 07:04 PM   #5
SID

@Colossus

Chiss is a great choice, I'm surprised you picked this race, good!

@Pumpkin

Looking forward to see that Ewok.
Old 12-18-2021, 07:12 PM   #6
SID

Thank you for joining!
Old 12-18-2021, 09:01 PM   #7
vicious Violence

I promise 100% violence, 0% reading. Also my character will be a dark side inclined psychopath/ mercenary
vicious Violence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 10:56 AM   #8
the_matrix_walker

Hey SID, Have you written up a force user under your parameters? I'm working on a "grey" force user but I'm finding it really hard to come up with results that will fit the point total. If you have a sample character, it may give me a better idea of what's acceptable.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 11:49 AM   #9
SID

Quote:
Hey SID, Have you written up a force user under your parameters? I'm working on a "grey" force user but I'm finding it really hard to come up with results that will fit the point total. If you have a sample character, it may give me a better idea of what's acceptable.
No problem, It's easier for me if you send me a sample of what you expect to play with. I propose you build your character as tight as you can, it doesn't matter if you exceed the budget a bit (say, a 25 CP). Send it to me and I will check it.
Old 12-25-2021, 03:03 AM   #10
SID

Quote:
What armor and weapons are available?

Can I get a beskar shield (without being a Mandalorian)?

I'm finding it very difficult to make a respectable Jedi on 250 points... I'm still trying to make it work, but I might have to go Mando instead...
You can pick equipment up to TL 11, but I'll have to check it. Beskar is an epic material, so you'll need to find it in-game.

Also, I sent you some comments via PM, your character concept is looking good, don't worry!

Tags
dungeon fantasy, magic, star wars, ultra tech