Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 06-18-2021, 01:06 PM   #31
TGLS

Default Re: Corco's Villa (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
"if they have a magical means of detecting trespassers"
"I guess this calls for more research!"
Quote:
"I think we should stick together and attempt the diplomatic path, and we can find out where we stand, and both infiltrate the temple if that proves unfruitful."
I guess I just don't really think that there's much point in sending two envoys when we can send one. Having an infiltrator and an envoy might trip them up, and could get them to let slip any information that they're trying to conceal. If the diplomatic strategy fails, then they might tighten up on security, making infiltration all the harder.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 02:10 PM   #32
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
"I guess this calls for more research!"
I assume if there was anything relevant, we'd have been informed by now. My character certainly knows to check on all sorts of things I don't, so I presume if there were more details on the defenses, we'd have been presented with that information... Or am I assuming too much?
Quote:
I guess I just don't really think that there's much point in sending two envoys when we can send one. Having an infiltrator and an envoy might trip them up, and could get them to let slip any information that they're trying to conceal. If the diplomatic strategy fails, then they might tighten up on security, making infiltration all the harder.
"I disagree...

Two envoys double the chance of picking up on anything suspicious.

A diplomatic approach has very little chance of affecting security measures regardless of the outcome, but a failed infiltration would make all avenues more difficult."
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 03:26 PM   #33
TGLS

Quote:
I assume if there was anything relevant, we'd have been informed by now. My character certainly knows to check on all sorts of things I don't, so I presume if there were more details on the defenses, we'd have been presented with that information... Or am I assuming too much?
Well all I've got is a vague:
Quote:
Quote:
5) Would the security at the temple complex be able to see through Vassarious's shapeshifting?
Probably not. Your elastic skin might be an issue, but might not.
Quote:
"I disagree...

Two envoys double the chance of picking up on anything suspicious.

A diplomatic approach has very little chance of affecting security measures regardless of the outcome, but a failed infiltration would make all avenues more difficult."
"Well, the way I see it, they're probably not even thinking about someone from outside popping up and interfering in their affairs. I'm not entirely convinced they think this whole deal between Corco and Maximus is real. We pop in, even for just for a 'hello', and now they're going to be worried this outside context force coming in and ruining their plans. I think it might be better to either conceal everything, or exert pressure from both sides."
Old 06-18-2021, 06:33 PM   #34
the_matrix_walker

Vassarious gives a shrug with her wings and smiles.

She says in a soft and innocent voice...

"Well, I've never been one to shy away from a good sneak."
Old 06-21-2021, 09:50 PM   #35
TGLS

OK, so I assume you'd prefer we both infiltrate. Regardless, we ought to prepare to blend in. Even if one of us goes over as an envoy, it may be necessary to make an escape and blend in with the masses.

I'll try Research (to mine information from the books) and Memetics (to identify the key points that must be followed to not appear to be an outsider)

Quote:
[13] 21-06-22 04:48:57 BST
Research
3d6 <= 15 : 6 + 5 + 2 = 13 ... success
[14] 21-06-22 04:49:03 BST
Memetics
3d6 <= 15 : 3 + 5 + 6 = 14 ... success
Old 06-22-2021, 08:21 AM   #36
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

They don't have much experience working with magic outside of their skerry: few skerries do. The do have some unknown scrying magic, and its connected to the temple -- but even then they won't have experience with deep shapeshifters like V. They won't have technological abilities able to catch it either.

Halcyone researches points of appearing like a local. It depends on where you are and what you're pretending to be, but she picks up some points especially appropriate in the capital. You are expected to nod, bow, and make way for people of higher rank, and to ignore those of lower rank. Rank has a number of clothing cues associated with it. If you're pretending to be from outside the capital, being sloppy with this etiquette is usually appropriate, though being too sloppy can get you suspected of being a rebel.

Do we have an answer on how you will be going into the skerry?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 03:34 PM   #37
the_matrix_walker

Vassarious will look into the etiquette to be prepared for posing as a priest or supplicant as may be needed.

I think it's best if we spit up, as Halcyone seems intent on infiltration. I think there is much to be learned from the reaction of the priests when going through official channels and that if there is a process in place and an ancient (if loose) alliance, bypassing the protocol would be dishonorable and potentially offputting to our hosts.

Spoiler:  
Old 06-24-2021, 08:15 AM   #38
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Where do each of you wish to be placed?

V seems to want to be placed in the temple room.

Halcyon, do you want to start in the imperial city or closer to the rebels?

V researches how to pass as a priest. Face Man! should allow the dragon to blend in socially there.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 06-24-2021, 10:25 AM   #39
TGLS

I'll go for closer to the rebels; we can try to meet in the middle later.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:14 AM   #40
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I'll go for closer to the rebels; we can try to meet in the middle later.

Quote:
Arthus, the old captial, is controlled by the senate
Lithus, the world of deserts, coasts, and cities, is controlled by the rebels
Verdaze, the world of Forests, has areas controlled by each side, and sees heavy fighting
Aquas, the world of water, has areas controlled by both sides. The fighting is lighter and "cleaner".
Monstri, the world of snow, beasts, and low tech inhabitants, is mostly under the control of the senate, but they fear it will join the rebellion if they draw resources from it too heavily.
So I take it you want to be placed on either Lithus or Verdaze. Do you want to be urban or rural, and how close to you want to be to the front lines or the rebel headquarters?

Alfio, the librarian, is keeping tabs on your research, and catches that you intend to split up. "Do you have a plan for keeping in contact? We can get you radios that will help with that... or at least, communicators that look like radios... You both know how to use a radio?"