Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 07-17-2020, 10:17 AM   #21
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Day has several easy ways he knows of to nudge the drive or disable it temporarily. They just lead quickly back to him or are easy to correct once caught. He notices that a few historically successful tricks have been reacted to, and the flaws are regularly checked. Though if he can subvert those procedures the old tricks will work. He has a technique for "nudging" the ship that will go unnoticed, at least until they arrive. He also has a way to disable the drive for one or two days quickly, or for over a week if he's given time to fiddle with it unimpeded. He can also disable the ship for a few days without anyone suspecting anything one time with about ten minutes of work.

Day is assigned to the port-most bunkroom on the 16th floor between the lower stardrive capacitors and the engine, smack next to the grav plates. Its a bit smaller than standard bunkroom because the elevator passes through it. his assigned washroom the only one on in the area, and his assigned mess hall is above him on floor 15.

It is quickly pointed out to Day that they are bunking almost directly above one of the food stores of the ship. (the small boxes arranged in rows on deck 17). He spots someone else sneaking food up and in.

The psi-drugs are added in two places: some of the dry goods have been infused and stored with them, specifically the flour. There is also a powder that can be added to food by the cooks if their isn't enough flour in the soldier's diet.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 07-17-2020 at 10:30 AM.
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:28 AM   #22
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Valford bunks on deck 17, in the forward starboard room between the reactor and the engine. His Mess is on the same deck, and his assigned washroom is one deck up.

The bunkrooms cram 26 men into about 750 square feet of space. There is essentially no place for privacy. Getting a bottom bunk is a matter of seniority, and as Vorno is Valford's bunkmate, there is little chance of that happening. Valford can certainly make a social roll to try and swap with someone for a coveted lower bunk though.

Private stashes WILL pop up all over the ship, but they are more likely to occur in empty storage areas (which is most of the ship) or work stations. They are an excepted part of shipboard life.

His attempt to find a way to smuggle food onto the ship needs an acting roll at -2 as cover, and you need a social roll to get the information. Streetwise is preferred, though over skills may be used at a penalty.

Day is assured that he can get good food, and even contraband, but he needs to eat the served slop "As your paranoid and patriotic duty. Don't want anyone to think you're an enemy agent!"

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 07-17-2020, 05:56 PM   #23
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Day is assured that he can get good food, and even contraband, but he needs to eat the served slop "As your paranoid and patriotic duty. Don't want anyone to think you're an enemy agent!"
Was this bit intended to read 'Day' or 'Valford'? The rest of the post seemed targeted at the latter.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:03 PM   #24
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Was this bit intended to read 'Day' or 'Valford'? The rest of the post seemed targeted at the latter.
Valford, sorry

Old 07-18-2020, 10:43 AM   #25
GnomesofZurich

Day is going to start scoping out the food stores to see whether he can secure some food not tainted with the psi-suppressants, and starts trying to avoid as much of the flour-based meals as he can without arousing suspicion. Since his bunkroom is near the grav plates, he also looks for an opportunity to get in and take a look at them; with his zero G experience, disabling the artificial gravity could provide an advantage over many of the crew when the time comes to take over the Nightfall.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:47 AM   #26
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Day can easily get his hands on uncontaminated food, just ducking one floor down carefully (stealth) and grabbing it. Or even getting someone to grab it for him in exchange for a little money. The hardest part will be either ditching or convincing to come along Pothi.

Quote:
Day ... starts trying to avoid as much of the flour-based meals as he can without arousing suspicion.
"It is your patriotic duty to eat that slop." This is something that is watched closely.

To analyze disabling the grav plates, roll mechanic (starship) at -2. Also, when will he get a good look at the plates without Pothi? the hyper-drive he can sabotage while seeming to work on it, because its his job... the grav plates less so.

Old 07-22-2020, 03:49 AM   #27
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Day can easily get his hands on uncontaminated food, just ducking one floor down carefully (stealth) and grabbing it. Or even getting someone to grab it for him in exchange for a little money. The hardest part will be either ditching or convincing to come along Pothi.

"It is your patriotic duty to eat that slop." This is something that is watched closely.

To analyze disabling the grav plates, roll mechanic (starship) at -2. Also, when will he get a good look at the plates without Pothi? the hyper-drive he can sabotage while seeming to work on it, because its his job... the grav plates less so.
After a meal of "the slop", he complains to Pothi that he's not feeling well, and needs to hit the head. While there he's going to stick his finger down his throat to throw up. Pothi presumably won't want to join him, but even if he does Day will take long enough in the toilet that Pothi will head back to their bunkroom. On his way back, since they are right next to the bunkroom, he'll slip in to take a look at the grav plates. I've rolled Stealth to do that unnoticed.

[8] 20-07-22 11:39:14 CEST

Stealth to take a look at grav plates unnoticed

3d6 <= 14
4 + 2 + 3 = 9 ... success

[9] 20-07-22 11:40:33 CEST

Mechanic (High-Performance Starship)-2 to figure out how to disable grav plates

3d6 <= 12
4 + 5 + 2 = 11 ... success
Old 07-22-2020, 03:39 PM   #28
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

When will Day try this stunt? (launch is Saturday at 08:35, rendezvous with your partner is sometime on the next Tuesday?)

Old 07-23-2020, 05:11 AM   #29
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
When will Day try this stunt? (launch is Saturday at 08:35, rendezvous with your partner is sometime on the next Tuesday?)
If there is time to do it before launch, he'll do so, but I'm unclear what day it is now. Otherwise, after his shift on Sunday.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:29 PM   #30
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
If there is time to do it before launch, he'll do so, but I'm unclear what day it is now. Otherwise, after his shift on Sunday.

I find that in Play by Post time works best if it proceeds at its own rate for each character between important moments. Right now we're covering from right before the launch (saturday) to the rendezvous time (on tuesday). You can take actions in that range as you see fit. Don't wait for each other other than the tuesday moment.

I'll report on the launch soon, and then we'll be limiting to acting after the launch.