Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 06-19-2020, 08:12 AM   #31
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: DreadStormers (OOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinzarious View Post
Thanks for the input! Obviously wasn't giving much consideration to the fact that we would have to be acting the part not just taking up the roles on the ship. Adjusted levels and added basic beam weapon skill. Changed Berserker for Light Sleeper and Curious. Also altered point costs (assuming ericthered agrees) for the Cultural Familiarity and Languages. And yes the TK Ads are Alt Abilities as was suggested by ericthered. I Did bad math for sure on the TK Grab, but I think it was because I had read somewhere that TK was two points a level or something? Anyways, still open to suggestions. Again, thanks for the help.

TK Grab is 1.6/level for a 20 yard reach, or 2.8/level for a line of sight reach. The dreadstormers favor short TK grab unless its backed up by extended senses: ships have very tight quarters. Most compartments are 10 yards by 20 yards and filled with stuff.

speaking of which, I need to get you folks the deck-plans for the ship. They've existed for a while now.

Make sure you can fight unarmed.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:18 AM   #32
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
I'm wondering about a physiotherapist/masseuse. With a crew of 2,000 active duty soldiers, there will be on-the-job and training injuries that don't necessarily require the ship's doctor's attention (strains, sprains, etc.), and officers in stressful positions might welcome a massage to relieve tension. It would again be in the Morale block, but perhaps viewed as a less critical position than some others, which also suggest a bit less scrutiny than other positions.

Relevant skills would be Diagnosis and Physician (both bought with Optional specialty: Physiotherapy), Physiology, and Professional Skill (Masseuse). Thoughts on this plan?

For psi-powers, I'm looking at the advantages in your Traitor Maker package, although with a stronger emphasis on Mental Surgery (level 4 or 5).

A physical therapist or a physical fitness trainer could work. The Masseuse is a little odd, and I'm not sure if you'd get one aboard a navy ship, but it could probably be worked in.

You'll want not only the skills needed to work this job, but some area knowledge to be able to talk about where you were trained, what it was like, and so forth. We may also increase the frequency of appearance on your duty to reflect in increased exposure.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 06-19-2020, 11:31 AM   #33
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
A physical therapist or a physical fitness trainer could work. The Masseuse is a little odd, and I'm not sure if you'd get one aboard a navy ship, but it could probably be worked in.

You'll want not only the skills needed to work this job, but some area knowledge to be able to talk about where you were trained, what it was like, and so forth. We may also increase the frequency of appearance on your duty to reflect in increased exposure.
Okay, not married to the masseuse concept. The physical fitness trainer may work, with an emphasis on unarmed combat. This may also shift the "Action" role from Face guy.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:31 AM   #34
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Okay, not married to the masseuse concept. The physical fitness trainer may work, with an emphasis on unarmed combat. This may also shift the "Action" role from Face guy.
OK.

How are the characters coming?

Old 06-21-2020, 01:00 PM   #35
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
OK.

How are the characters coming?
For the amount of time I've put into this, I have distressingly little to show for it. I'm having a hard time pinning down my role on ship, and everything else kind of flows from that. It seems like such a big job for two to take on a crew of 2,000 that I'm trying to find the right role to achieve that.

Does the crew include battlesuit troopers of some kind? What kind of roles would be included in the Life Support and Motive sections; oh, and what does the Transportation section entail? I'm guessing that Sinzarious' character would be in the Power section. Would a character focused on Extravehicular activity (spaceship repairs on the outside of the hull) work?

For psi powers, I'm still primarily focused on telepathy of the Mental Surgery/Suggestion flavour, although it occurred to me Dampen 3 with the Blanket Dampening technique (which I think is an application of the Natural Phenomena enhancement) from Pyramid #3/97 could shut down electricity over the entire ship for a short duration, which could be interesting...

Last edited by GnomesofZurich; 06-21-2020 at 01:59 PM.
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:41 PM   #36
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
For the amount of time I've put into this, I have distressingly little to show for it. I'm having a hard time pinning down my role on ship, and everything else kind of flows from that. It seems like such a big job for two to take on a crew of 2,000 that I'm trying to find the right role to achieve that.
You need to make heroic Action characters with broad skills. I'm not throwing especially high-point foes at you. There are only about 60 men properly trained in personal combat, and most of the 2,000 will have limited access to weapons. It should be doable, though probably not through an all-out frontal assault, though a particularly well-timed and well-placed one may work.

Quote:
Does the crew include battlesuit troopers of some kind? What kind of roles would be included in the Life Support and Motive sections; oh, and what does the Transportation section entail? I'm guessing that Sinzarious' character would be in the Power section. Would a character focused on Extravehicular activity (spaceship repairs on the outside of the hull) work?
No Battlesuits.

Life support includes plumbing, fixing malfunctions in the temperature and atmosphere systems, handling food distribution and reclamation, fixing broken beds and anything else in the living areas. In addition to jobs fixing things the crew also monitors statistics on temperature and atmosphere throughout the ship.

The motive section works on the FTL drive, The STL drive, and the manuver drives. Its full of engineers and technicians who monitor all of the various moving parts, liquid coolants, chemical concoctions, magnetic fields, and so forth. Along with nav, sensors, and comms, they're kind of the more technical end.

The transportation section moves things around the ship, such as food, laser chemical replacement packs, torpedo fuel, the occasional heavy tool, and lots and lots of metallic hydrogen bricks to feed whichever drive is currently on. They mostly do this with elevators and small vehicles similar to forklifts.

Does that help?

Old 06-22-2020, 09:26 AM   #37
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
You need to make heroic Action characters with broad skills. I'm not throwing especially high-point foes at you. There are only about 60 men properly trained in personal combat, and most of the 2,000 will have limited access to weapons. It should be doable, though probably not through an all-out frontal assault, though a particularly well-timed and well-placed one may work.

No Battlesuits.

Life support includes plumbing, fixing malfunctions in the temperature and atmosphere systems, handling food distribution and reclamation, fixing broken beds and anything else in the living areas. In addition to jobs fixing things the crew also monitors statistics on temperature and atmosphere throughout the ship.

The motive section works on the FTL drive, The STL drive, and the manuver drives. Its full of engineers and technicians who monitor all of the various moving parts, liquid coolants, chemical concoctions, magnetic fields, and so forth. Along with nav, sensors, and comms, they're kind of the more technical end.

The transportation section moves things around the ship, such as food, laser chemical replacement packs, torpedo fuel, the occasional heavy tool, and lots and lots of metallic hydrogen bricks to feed whichever drive is currently on. They mostly do this with elevators and small vehicles similar to forklifts.

Does that help?
Yes, that helps, I'll work on a character this evening. Thank!
Old 06-23-2020, 04:28 AM   #38
GnomesofZurich

Okay, here's a first draft, minus psi powers. Is artificial gravity common in this setting, or does the ship use spin gravity, or just have micro-gravity (from thrust)? I was considering having Daymar come from an asteroid colony (a Belter) and be an experienced spacer. He is in the Motive section of the ship, focused on the drives, but also can be involved in any EVA repairs from the outside of the ship. Would something like the Zero-G Worksuit (GURPS Ultratech, p. 183) be in use?

Spoiler:  

Last edited by GnomesofZurich; 06-24-2020 at 05:05 AM.
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 05:21 PM   #39
Sinzarious

So I still have points left, but I redid the Psionics to add up to strictly 100 points. I wanted to put this up to make sure everything is alright before I spend my last few points (most likely just in skills). Again, feel free to say what will work and what wont.

Spoiler:  

Last edited by Sinzarious; 06-23-2020 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Character Changes
Sinzarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:31 PM   #40
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinzarious View Post
So I still have points left, but I redid the Psionics to add up to strictly 100 points. I wanted to put this up to make sure everything is alright before I spend my last few points (most likely just in skills). Again, feel free to say what will work and what wont.

Spoiler:  
Three things I note: you still have 4 quirks showing and the points for 5; aren't Careful and Overconfidence contradictory?; and Engineering has Mathematics (Applied) as a prerequisite.

I'll try to finish up my character soon.