Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 06-18-2020, 12:47 PM   #21
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: DreadStormers (OOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Of those, I think "Traitor Maker" is the sort of concept I'm going for, likely paired with a talker/face sort of "Action" roll. I'm wondering about a role on ship that would see contact with a lot of the crew - not sure which of these fits, but I could see medic, a priest (if there's some sort of widely held religion among the crew), a counselor, or (if there are such facilities on board) a bar tender!

Edit: Would you be willing to share the build for Traitor Maker you put together? I'm looking at multiple sources for inspiration.
Here are the packages I built myself. These are just starting points of course, you can use them as inspiration and tweak them as you like. Remember to leave room for skills to use them and possibly Energy Reserves or Talents

Code:
Mechanic [71]
    clairvoyance (psi -10%, vison only -10%) [40]
    TK Grab 15 (psi-10%, cannot effect self -20%, Cannot Punch - 10%, Requires IQ roll -10%, Increase Range 20 yards +20%) [21]
    TK Bullet 3d-3 pi (alternate) [15/5 =3]
    TK Crush 3 (alternate) [15/5 = 3]
    Levitation 4 (alternate) [20/5=4]

Sheild [91]
    PK Force Sheild 30 DR [39]
    TK Grab 20 (psi-10%, cannot effect self -20%, Cannot Punch - 10%, Requires IQ roll -10%, Increase Range 20 yards +20%) [28]
    PK sheild + 20 DR [26/5 = 5]
    TK Bullet 5d-5 pi [25/5 = 5]
    TK Crush 5 (alternate) [25/5 = 5]
    Levitation 4 (alternate) [20/5=4]
    Obscure 10 (Pysical Projectiles, Defensive +50%, targeting only -20%, psi -10%) [22/5 = 5]

Hammer [83]
    TK Grab 20 (psi-10%, cannot effect self -20%, Cannot Punch - 10%, Requires IQ roll -10%, Increase Range 20 yards +20%) [28]
    PK force shild 20 DR [26/5=6]
    TK Bullet 5d-5 pi [25/5=5]
    TK Crush 5 [25/5=5]
    Levitation 4 [20/5 =4]
    Obscure 10 (Pysical Projectiles, Defensive +50%, targeting only -20%, psi -10%) [22/5 = 5]
    Clairvoyance (psi -10%, vision only -10%, normal sight -20%) [30]

Shadow [71]
    Mindwipe [31]
    Precognition (Passive only -20%, psi - 10%) [18]
    Para-Invisibility 2 [10]
    Mind Clouding 5 [30/5 =6]
    Para-Invisibility 6 [30/5=6]

Radio [79]
    Telesend( link +10%, psi-10%) [30]
    Mind Reading ( projected thoughts only - 20%, link +10%, telecommunication -20%, psi -10%, Long Range 1 +50%) [33]
    Detect (Known Minds; Lock-On+50%, Selective effect +20%, psi -10%, vauge-50%, long range + 50%) [16]

Traitor Maker [57]
    Mind Control (suggestion 5) (Rationalization +20%, cannot influence emmotions -10%, psi -10%) [50]
    Mental Surgery (one minute) [33/5 = 7]
    Mindwipe [31/5 = 7]

Reader [70]
    Telerecieve 4 (standard range penalties) [45]
    Telescan 4 (long range penalties, exact location)[25] 

Hunter-Killer [76]
    Detect (Psi) (Psionic Activity; psi -10%, reflexive +40%, Lock-On +50%, Analyzing +100%, Long Range (space)+50%, Time spanning +50%) [38]
    Stop in Tracks (Will; Based on Will +20%, Malediction 2 +150%, No Signature +20%, psi -10%, extended duration x10 +40%) [32]
    Mind Blast (Will; Based on Will +20%, No Signature +20%, psi -10%, Area effect 8 yards +150%, emenation -20%, selective area +20%, extended duration x10 +40%) [32/5 = 6]

True Precog [73]
    Quick Scan of Future: Precognition (psi-10%, Active Only -60%, reduced time 1/60 +120% (10 seconds), reduced FP cost 2 +40%, reliable +8 +40%) [58]
    Quick Visions: Precognition(psi -10%, Passive only - 20%) [18/5=4]
    Targeted Investigation: Precognition (psi-10%, Active Only -60%, Active +100%, reduced FP cost 2 +40%, reliable +8 +40%)[53/5=11]

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:00 PM   #22
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Here are the packages I built myself. These are just starting points of course, you can use them as inspiration and tweak them as you like. Remember to leave room for skills to use them and possibly Energy Reserves or Talents
Thanks. Do we receive disadvantage points for a Duty and Secret, or is that just assumed to offset some of the other points?

Also, the character creation guidelines notes they are to be built on a total of 390, but the sum of the other categories ("Action" 250, "Psi" 100, "Zorbani Ship Role" 20, "Flavour" 10) total to 380; is this an addition error, or do we have another 10 discretionary points?
Old 06-18-2020, 02:07 PM   #23
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I'm wondering about a role on ship that would see contact with a lot of the crew - not sure which of these fits, but I could see medic, a priest (if there's some sort of widely held religion among the crew), a counselor, or (if there are such facilities on board) a bar tender!
That's the morale block. It, along with the officer block, has extra security and screening checks, because many of the positions have low redundancy, and because they room with shipboard security. Also, those sorts of positions tend to require specialization that makes tracking their identity easier. I think all of those positions exist on the ship, though I haven't planned out a religion.

If you want to go for one of them, its possible, but we'll need to go the extra mile on building and challenging your cover story.

I'm trying to think of someone who sees a lot of crew who isn't part of morale or an officer. Transportation sees a lot of the SHIP, but that's different. Life support might actually end up talking to the rest of the crew a lot, at least if life support is acting up, and that can be arranged...

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 06-18-2020, 02:13 PM   #24
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Thanks. Do we receive disadvantage points for a Duty and Secret, or is that just assumed to offset some of the other points?
You receive points for the duty, but not for secret, unless you've got something beyond just being a dreadstormer on an enemy ship. The frequency of appearance for duty acts a great deal like secret though, and should reflect how good the character is at blending in. If your duty gets rolled, your cover will be threatened.

Quote:
Also, the character creation guidelines notes they are to be built on a total of 390, but the sum of the other categories ("Action" 250, "Psi" 100, "Zorbani Ship Role" 20, "Flavour" 10) total to 380; is this an addition error, or do we have another 10 discretionary points?
That's a math error. You have 380 total, or 370 if you disregard the flavor. Sorry, my bad.

Old 06-18-2020, 03:34 PM   #25
Sinzarious

Oookay. Re-did the math, changed a few things around. I need a double-check to make sure everything is on par now. Any input is appreciated. Mechanic character with Sensors operation as back up. Still working up pieces of the back story, but that doesn't have to hold up progress.

Spoiler:  

Last edited by Sinzarious; 06-18-2020 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Easier Viewing
Sinzarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 04:16 PM   #26
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinzarious View Post
Oookay. Re-did the math, changed a few things around. I need a double-check to make sure everything is on par now. Any input is appreciated. Mechanic character with Sensors operation as back up. Still working up pieces of the back story, but that doesn't have to hold up progress.

Code:
Name: Randall Valford
Race: Human (Torralian)
Height: 6'
Weight: 182 lbs.
Hair: Dirty Blonde - Short carefree
Eyes: Blue-Gray - Inquisitive
Skin: Light - Fair

Attributes [245]

ST 12 [20]
DX 14 [80]
IQ 14 [80]
HT 12 [20]

HP 15 [6]
Will 17 [15]
Per 15 [5]
FP 15 [9]

Basic Lift 29
Damage 1d-1/1d+2

Basic Speed 7 [10]
Basic Move 7

Ground Move 7
Water Move 1

Social Background [20] 

TL: 10 [0]

Cultural Familiarities: Torralian (Native) [0]; Jakorbi (Alien Culture) [2]; Zorbani (Alien Culture) [2].

Languages: Torralian (Native) [0]; Jakorbi (Native) [8];  Zorbani (Native) [8].

Advantages [88]

Psychokinesis Talent (3) [15]
TK Grab (Psi) (20) [40]
TK Bullet (Psi) (5) [5]
TK Crush (Psi) (5) [5]
PK Shield (Psi) (10) [8]
Extra ST without HP (Psi) (2) [15]

Disadvantages [-30]

Berserk (12 or less) [-10]
Code of Honor (Soldier's) [-10]
Overconfidence (12 or less) [-5]
Sense of Duty (Friends and Companions) (Small Group) [-5]

Quirks [-5]

Careful [-1]
Dislikes Authority [-1]
Dreamer [-1]
Humble [-1]
Likes Wearing Black [-1]

Skills [62]

Normal Skills

Acrobatics DX/H - DX-2 12 [1]
Brawling DX/E - DX+1 15 [2]
Computer Operation/TL10 IQ/E - IQ+0 14 [1]
Electronics Operation/TL10 (Sensors) IQ/A - IQ+0 14 [2]
Electronics Repair/TL10 (Sensors) IQ/A - IQ+0 14 [2]
Engineer/TL10 (Fusion Reactor) IQ/H - IQ+0 14 [4]
First Aid/TL10 (Human) IQ/E - IQ+1 15 [2]
Free Fall DX/A - DX+0 14 [2]
Jumping DX/E - DX+0 14 [1]
Knife DX/E - DX+0 14 [1]
Mathematics/TL10 (Applied) IQ/H - IQ-1 13 [2]
Mechanic/TL10 (Fusion Reactor) IQ/A - IQ+0 14 [2]
Navigation/TL10 (Space) IQ/A - IQ-1 13 [1]
Piloting/TL10 (High-Performance Spacecraft) DX/A - DX+0 14 [2]
Scrounging Per/E - Per+0 15 [1]
Smuggling IQ/A - IQ-1 13 [1]
Soldier/TL10 (Torralian Defense Force) IQ/A - IQ+0 14 [2]
Soldier/TL10 (Zorbani Navy) IQ/A - IQ-1 13 [1]
Spacer/TL10 IQ/E - IQ+2 16 [4]
Vacc Suit/TL10 DX/A - DX+0 14 [2]

Psychokinetic Skills and Techniques

TK Grab IQ/H - IQ-1 16 [2]
	includes: +3 from 'Psychokinesis Talent'
-Mass Grab (TK Grab) Tech/H -  12 [4]

TK Crush IQ/H - IQ-1 16 [2]
-Brain Squeeze (TK Crush) Tech/H -  12 [7]

TK Bullet IQ/H - IQ-1 16 [2]
-Silencer (TK Bullet) Tech/H -  16 [3]

PK Shield IQ/H - IQ-1 16 [2]
-Expansion (PK Shield) Tech/H -  12 [2]
-Suppression (PK Shield) Tech/H -  12 [2]

Stats [245]  Ads  (includes social)[108] Disads [-30] Quirks [-5] Skills [62]

Total  [380]
A couple of things I note: I'm not sure that Cultural Familiarity should cost [2], in this case; the Zorbani, Jakorbi, Republic, and Manu are all humans, and presumably have some shared ancestry, so these aren't truly alien as compared to an entirely different species that underwent physical and cultural evolution in a separate environment. Also, having Native proficiency in those languages should only cost [6], not [8].

TK Grab has a net +40% in modifiers, so with the modified pricing for TK should work out to 2.8 per level; 20 levels would therefore work out to [56]. The TK Grab (Short Ranged) variant has a net -20% in modifiers, so costs 1.6 per level; 20 levels would cost [32]. Are TK Bullet and TK Crush intended as alternative abilities to TK Grab? I'm guessing so based on the pricing.

Are you sure you want Berserk? I would think it a disqualifying disadvantage for an undercover agent. Regarding quirks, "Likes to wear black" is very similar to the "wears black" that B163 notes as not a valid quirk, because it is completely passive without negative side effects.

If ericthered agrees that the Language costs should be [6] and not [8], I'd suggest maybe raising Brawling a level to qualify for the damage bonus.

I also note an absence of some other skills I think important for an undercover role: Acting, possibly Disguise, and influence skills (notably Fast-Talk and Savoir-Faire (Military)). It would also seem appropriate for someone with Soldier to have training in some sort of soldier-like weaponry; perhaps a point in Beam Weapons (Rifle and/or Pistol), or other appropriate weapon for the TL.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:17 PM   #27
Sinzarious

Quote:
A couple of things I note: I'm not sure that Cultural Familiarity should cost [2], in this case; the Zorbani, Jakorbi, Republic, and Manu are all humans, and presumably have some shared ancestry, so these aren't truly alien as compared to an entirely different species that underwent physical and cultural evolution in a separate environment. Also, having Native proficiency in those languages should only cost [6], not [8].

TK Grab has a net +40% in modifiers, so with the modified pricing for TK should work out to 2.8 per level; 20 levels would therefore work out to [56]. The TK Grab (Short Ranged) variant has a net -20% in modifiers, so costs 1.6 per level; 20 levels would cost [32]. Are TK Bullet and TK Crush intended as alternative abilities to TK Grab? I'm guessing so based on the pricing.

Are you sure you want Berserk? I would think it a disqualifying disadvantage for an undercover agent. Regarding quirks, "Likes to wear black" is very similar to the "wears black" that B163 notes as not a valid quirk, because it is completely passive without negative side effects.

If ericthered agrees that the Language costs should be [6] and not [8], I'd suggest maybe raising Brawling a level to qualify for the damage bonus.

I also note an absence of some other skills I think important for an undercover role: Acting, possibly Disguise, and influence skills (notably Fast-Talk and Savoir-Faire (Military)). It would also seem appropriate for someone with Soldier to have training in some sort of soldier-like weaponry; perhaps a point in Beam Weapons (Rifle and/or Pistol), or other appropriate weapon for the TL.

Thanks for the input! Obviously wasn't giving much consideration to the fact that we would have to be acting the part not just taking up the roles on the ship. Adjusted levels and added basic beam weapon skill. Changed Berserker for Light Sleeper and Curious. Also altered point costs (assuming ericthered agrees) for the Cultural Familiarity and Languages. And yes the TK Ads are Alt Abilities as was suggested by ericthered. I Did bad math for sure on the TK Grab, but I think it was because I had read somewhere that TK was two points a level or something? Anyways, still open to suggestions. Again, thanks for the help.

Spoiler:  

Last edited by Sinzarious; 06-18-2020 at 08:49 PM. Reason: A WORK IN PROGRESS (NOT COMPLETED YET)
Sinzarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:49 PM   #28
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinzarious View Post
Thanks for the input! Obviously wasn't giving much consideration to the fact that we would have to be acting the part not just taking up the roles on the ship. Adjusted levels and added basic beam weapon skill. Changed Berserker for Light Sleeper and Curious. Also altered point costs (assuming ericthered agrees) for the Cultural Familiarity and Languages. And yes the TK Ads are Alt Abilities as was suggested by ericthered. I Did bad math for sure on the TK Grab, but I think it was because I had read somewhere that TK was two points a level or something? Anyways, still open to suggestions. Again, thanks for the help.

Spoiler:  
The Telekinetic advantage was modified to being 2 points per level (at the bottom of character creation), but perhaps you read that as TK Grab being 2 points per level. My only other comments is that you removed the "likes to wear black" quirk but didn't replace it with a new one, and I'm not sure that it's really necessary to take two different Soldier skills; it's not normally specialized by group, although I could see there being familiarity penalties moving from one military to another.

I'm working on my character now, will post it for feedback when I'm done.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:05 PM   #29
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Jakorbi and the nations of the Zorbani Pact actually all speak the same language, more or less, and use the same cultural familiarity. So you need a single set of advantages for both of them.

Please pay attention to the point categories, especially the psionic pool and the flavor points.

Old 06-19-2020, 05:04 AM   #30
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
That's the morale block. It, along with the officer block, has extra security and screening checks, because many of the positions have low redundancy, and because they room with shipboard security. Also, those sorts of positions tend to require specialization that makes tracking their identity easier. I think all of those positions exist on the ship, though I haven't planned out a religion.

If you want to go for one of them, its possible, but we'll need to go the extra mile on building and challenging your cover story.

I'm trying to think of someone who sees a lot of crew who isn't part of morale or an officer. Transportation sees a lot of the SHIP, but that's different. Life support might actually end up talking to the rest of the crew a lot, at least if life support is acting up, and that can be arranged...
I'm wondering about a physiotherapist/masseuse. With a crew of 2,000 active duty soldiers, there will be on-the-job and training injuries that don't necessarily require the ship's doctor's attention (strains, sprains, etc.), and officers in stressful positions might welcome a massage to relieve tension. It would again be in the Morale block, but perhaps viewed as a less critical position than some others, which also suggest a bit less scrutiny than other positions.

Relevant skills would be Diagnosis and Physician (both bought with Optional specialty: Physiotherapy), Physiology, and Professional Skill (Masseuse). Thoughts on this plan?

For psi-powers, I'm looking at the advantages in your Traitor Maker package, although with a stronger emphasis on Mental Surgery (level 4 or 5).