Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 01-14-2017, 11:17 AM   #21
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: Lost in Dreams II (OCC)

Apologies for my long absence. We had to put our oldest dog down on Saturday, and the following week was a series of late-night dress rehearsals for the show I'm in. (So yeah, my mind has been everywhere but here.) I'll jump back in this weekend.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:28 PM   #22
Friendpmcii

So, I found this site threw the Gurps recruitment thread and saw your game, which got me really excited. I knew I was likely to late to make recruitment but was going to ask to join any way, then I got to the end of the OOC to ask and it said, game over. It may be smart to update the recruting link to the new OOC instead of keeping it on the old one.

I will likely put an application in, but I can only really commit to one game at a time and the space game is my current focus. If you're OK with no real guarantee to posting rate I can start working on a character.

EDIT: seems the continuing he issue has already been addressed, I was looking before then.

Last edited by Friendpmcii; 01-21-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Friendpmcii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:50 PM   #23
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendpmcii View Post
I will likely put an application in, but I can only really commit to one game at a time and the space game is my current focus. If you're OK with no real guarantee to posting rate I can start working on a character.
Lost in Dreams in designed specifically to address such timing issues. Its fine.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:54 AM   #24
Friendpmcii

Moved from post 28 for easy reference and reduce confusion.

Michael Freeman was born and raised in a wide open space with little social interaction, however due to the issues of his parents relationship spent his teenage years in normal society. He learned quite a few things, though people seems to continue to elude him.

Michael carried a few things past his teenage years, other than graduation with no truly understandable reason. He learned to not follow society ideas but to stick to his beliefs that good can happen when we do what is right.

With this belief he tried to joined the military to defend freedom, but was denied due to a psychologist interview he had taken previously saying that he was a slow learner. It wasn't till later that he found out the psychologist wasn't practicing lawfully/ethically.

Michael went to school to double major in psychology and history as being rich was not an issue to him. He was close to graduation when he had the oddist dream, and woke up with no clothing. Age 26

Total 129-29=100

Attributes (50)
ST 10 [0]
DX 10 [0]
IQ 12 [40]
Musical Ability 1 [5]
HT 10 [0]

HP 10 [0]
Will 12 [0]
Per 12 [0]
FP 10 [0]
Speed 5.25 [0]
Move 6 [5]

Negative's (-29)
Extreme Fanaticism [-15]
Honesty [-5]

Skinny [-5]
Low status (-60% social) [-2]
Nosy [-1].
Habits: Makes a lot of noise when board... or happy... or frustrated... or whenever not needing to really concentrate. (singing) [-1] (Penetrating Voice really adds to this sometimes)
Broad-Minded (Does not care for/about rank/status, -1%; Thinks everyone is a fool or lier, even himself, though they may not know when they are doing/being so. -1%) [0]

Total (79)

Odd things (10)
Perk: Clerical Investment (-60% social) [1]
Networked: information organizations [1]
Honest Face [1]
Pitiable [5]
Penetrating Voice [1]
Soft spoken [1]

Total (69)
Psychology major and related self study (26)
12 Observation Per/A [2]
14 Psychology Iq/H [12]
13 Body Language [4] Iq/H Psychology-4(-1)
12 Detect Lies [2] Iq/A Psychology-4(-2)
10 Criminology 0pt Psychology-4
10 Propaganda 0pt Psychology-4
12 Sociology Iq/H [2] Psychology-4(-2)
11 Anthropology IQ/H Sociology-3(-1) [2]
10 Meditation Will/H [1]
10 Autohypnosis Will/H [1]

Religion (13)
11 Fortune-Telling Iq/A (Dream Interpretation) [1]
11 Theology IQ/H (Natural rights) Theology (any Christianity)-4(-2) [2]
13 Theology Iq/H (Mormonism) [8]
10 Religious Ritual Iq/H (Mormonism) [1] Theology-4(-3)
10 Dreaming Will/H [1]

Education (10)
14 Writing (Research papers) Iq/E [4]
13 Research Iq/A TL8 [2] Writing-3(-1)
11 Literature IQ/H [2]
12 Teaching IQ/A [1]
12 Computer Operation TL 8 Iq/E [1]

Political (8)
13 History IQ/H (Beginning of Democratic republic/American History) [8]

Families/singing (8)
9 Breath Control HT/H [2]
11 Singing Ht/E [1]*
11 Musical Composition IQ/H [1]*
11 Performance I/A [1]
12 Games IQ/E Chess [1]
12 Hobby Skill IQ/E (Children's play) [1]
12 Housekeeping IQ/E [1]

Other (4)
11 Search Per/A [1]
12 Scrounging Per/E [1]
10 Hiking HT/A [2]

Last edited by Friendpmcii; 08-22-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:26 PM   #25
Friendpmcii

History

Michael Freeman was born and raised in a wide open space with little social interaction, however due to the issues of his parents relationship spent his teenage years in normal society. He learned quite a few things, though people seems to continue to elude him.

Michael carried a few things past his teenage years, other than graduation with no truly understandable reason. He learned to not follow society ideas but to stick to his beliefs that good can happen when we do what is right.

With this belief he joined the military to defend freedom. It was the hardest thing for him to do as he learned much about social issues facing him. During this time he learned psychology and got married.

His wife didn't want to live a cheap life and as such pressed for him to make more for the family. As such Michael Freeman learned about economy and got better jobs. But even with this his idea of good living included living cheaply.

Michael's military contract ended last July, lucky his life insurance did not. Because with him suddenly in who-knows-where, at least he knows his family is likely taken care of.

Last edited by Friendpmcii; 01-24-2017 at 04:52 AM.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:25 AM   #26
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Please Explain:

• Why is this character low status?
  • Where is he from? Nation, region, and is he rural, urban, or suburban?
  • What age is he?
  • Is networked a custom perk or do you have a page reference?
Notes:
  • LDS ordination is a perk, not full blown clerical investment. If he's got something heftier than that, let me know.
  • I'm a little wary of honesty at that level, rather than the standard -10. I don't know how well you know gurps, so do you want a law abider or a truth teller? its two different disadvantages.
  • Breath Control's FP gain is cinematic. He can't buy it for that. He can buy it to increase the amount of time he can shout, hold his breath, and so forth.
  • Please combine all the LDS quirks and vows into a single code of honor.
  • The instrument is called the "Piano"
  • Weird Science is denied
  • Fortune Telling and Dreaming look a little odd under religious observances. Please review exactly what skill Fortune Telling does. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to have the perk "Remembers dreams". If he has the dreaming skill it should certainly be mentioned in his background. It plays a big role in this game and I always triple check its appropriate.
  • Please put all the perks in one place.
  • With the military, Armory seems a little out of place, while hiking is notably missing. Let me know if that's intentional.
  • Weird Science is denied. unless he's up on a bunch of theories, in which case its current affairs or hobby skill.
  • There are some weird skill spikes. Be sure you want theology, and skating at those levels: most of the time a level or two down will be fine for the purpose.
  • Please stick each theology on its own line.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 01-25-2017, 03:07 PM   #27
Friendpmcii

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Please Explain:

• Why is this character low status?
  • Where is he from? Nation, region, and is he rural, urban, or suburban?
    He grew up in an area where the total population is about 100 people about 20 miles from any direction of Modena UT. USA. (excluding the few miles around Enterprise, which has a mountain dividing them.) Would desert count, or should I say Rural?
    The low status comes from living there as well as with his family of 6 who strugled the intire time of his growing up.
    The dad was a genus who could use low technology to develop things beyond his time. He taught Michael A few things (notice Progaming TL7, yet Math Computer Science TL9), but he was not good with people and ended up getting caught in the wrong company which continued to cheat him out of adequate pay. Although Michael knows how to use the government to adjust his living to Normal, he does not believe in legalized theft and try's to get by on his own (requesting survival on less/recycled/already used resources.)

• What age is he? Let's say 30.
  • Is networked a custom perk or do you have a page reference? I is under Social Engineering pg. 79. It gives +2 to find a specific social group/organization/comunity Organizations of research in this case. details on pg. 45-46] (I will likely use pg 25 a lot, on how to combine Body Language and Psychology.)
    As you may noticed, he has non of the normal social skills. Just social traits. This is due to a lack of having to deal with people on a one on one basis, and more as a hole. As well as lack of experience.
Notes:
  • LDS ordination is a perk, not full blown clerical investment. If he's got something heftier than that, let me know. No, perk works. In new testament times it wasn't common, even early LDS times so I figured it was clerical investment.
  • I'm a little wary of honesty at that level, rather than the standard -10. I don't know how well you know gurps, so do you want a law abider or a truth teller? its two different disadvantages.
    This is the most complicated part. He's a Law abider, but only a specific type of law. Known as natural rights, many skills relate to this such as; (History IQ/H (Beginning of Democratic republic/American History) [1]+, Theology IQ/H (Natural rights), Anthropology Iq/H), and Expert Skill IQ/H (Political Science). This is mostly due to his upbringing from his parents, and research done during Trumps running for office.
    In short the majority of the law (as it relates to history) is that for every right there is a responsibility, because no persons right should be violated. Per GURPS: America then would look like a CR1 government, maybe a stable/kind CR0 (but CR0 weapons didn't exist back then). Things like braking a speed-limit wouldn't be seen as wrong, unless it was reckless (because reckless driving infringes peoples right to safety.) and as people have the right to the truth then Law abider follows telling the truth as well, as long as it does not go against a different right.
    I don't know how to really explain it more, if you are strong religious person then odds are you have the same issue sometimes because things get complicated fast.
  • Breath Control's FP gain is cinematic. He can't buy it for that. He can buy it to increase the amount of time he can shout, hold his breath, and so forth. It was learned to help with singing, and then adapted to help pass running tests.

• Please combine all the LDS quirks and vows into a single code of honor. I like this idea. I think -10 looks right.

• The instrument is called the "Piano".
  • Weird Science is denied OK.
  • Fortune Telling and Dreaming look a little odd under religious observances. Please review exactly what skill Fortune Telling does. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to have the perk "Remembers dreams". If he has the dreaming skill it should certainly be mentioned in his background. It plays a big role in this game and I always triple check its appropriate. Perk "Remembers dreams" would likely work, though sometimes he is able to more affectively control his interaction with the dream (like where he goes, or flying), but not change the dream world itself (if that might be a specialty instead [self interaction]). Dreaming would of actually stayed at 8 if I didn't need to get 'Int' to make up costs (and can be adjusted down there if you would like.), due to how rare it happens. Dreaming skill is literally the controlling and remembering of dreams. According to the Dreaming skill, Fortune Telling (dreams) is to interpret those dreams for information.

However according to the skill of Fortune Telling it "is the art of interviewing someone in order to learn more about his lifestyle and personality." Which is useful for discreetly gathering information on you're subjects as well (for psychology), because people act differently when they know you are analyzing them.

The book of Nephi starts with a dream and the interpretation of it, and the old testament has many accounts that use dream. Even the new testament has an account where (I think it was) Paul dreams about being told to eat unclean meat 3 times and learns that he is supposed to allow non-Jews to be baptized into the church.

An off branch of the LDS church (basically a different church that splintered from the LDS one Vs Catholic) encouraged the practice. He did eventually joined the LDS church though. Well it may seam useful, It rarely is, because most things can be learned well awake and meditating on scripture (aka, paying attention to the spirit.)

• Please put all the perks in one place. I'll also arrange the skills by ABC's eventually, the segregation was just to give an idea of where each skill came from.

• With the military, Armory seems a little out of place, while hiking is notably missing. Let me know if that's intentional. Served as supply for the army, and was really good at the armory part. Hiking falls under Soldier, but only for the specific hiking equipment trained to the military. I will put the extra point from getting rid of Weird Science to add Hiking though since he does hike without the military telling him to. (Its a cheap way to enjoy your time, even more so in UT.)
  • Weird Science is denied. unless he's up on a bunch of theories, in which case its current affairs or hobby skill. No it's more like his ability to 'think out of the box', Current affairs only lightly interests him (see, thinks everyone is an idiot/lier under open minded) to see how the world is going to change. It would have stayed at 7 if it wasn't for needing to increase 'int'.
  • There are some weird skill spikes. Be sure you want theology, and skating at those levels: most of the time a level or two down will be fine for the purpose. If the extra amount for theology would count as Extra points, that would be grate. I can reduce/remove some of the more useless ones. (for insistence skating would go, completely.) I put so many points in skating because 11 is needed to be some what proficient in it, and having a useless skill at complete uselessness it not worth putting it on. Theology is a major part of his life, it affects how he feels about different type of economics systems, politics, attitude, and most of his disadvantages. It needs to stay high.
  • Please stick each theology on its own line. Ok. will do as I make it ABC like.
It will take a few moments to reorganize the skills to ABC's.

EDIT: Done, feel free to ask any questions.

Last edited by Friendpmcii; 01-25-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:43 PM   #28
Friendpmcii

I've been working on alternative characters, using different back ground history. If this is easyer, we could easily do the following. I haven't put any extra skills in yet though.

With this belief he tried to joined the military to defend freedom, but was denied due to a psychologist interview he had taken previously saying that he was a slow learner. It wasn't till later that he found out the psychologist wasn't practicing lawfully/ethically.

Michael went to school to double major in psychology and history as being rich was not an issue to him. He was close to graduation when he had the oddist dream, and woke up with no clothing. Age 26

Total 129-29=100

Attributes (50)
ST 10 [0]
DX 10 [0]
IQ 12 [40]
Musical Ability 1 [5]
HT 10 [0]

HP 10 [0]
Will 12 [0]
Per 12 [0]
FP 10 [0]
Speed 5.25 [0]
Move 6 [5]

Negative's (-29)
Extreme Fanaticism [-15]
Honesty [-5]

Skinny [-5]
Low status (-60% social) [-2]
Nosy [-1].
Habits: Makes a lot of noise when board... or happy... or frustrated... or whenever not needing to really concentrate. (singing) [-1] (Penetrating Voice really adds to this sometimes)
Broad-Minded (Does not care for/about rank/status, -1%; Thinks everyone is a fool or lier, even himself, though they may not know when they are doing/being so. -1%) [0]

Total (79)

Odd things (10)
Perk: Clerical Investment (-60% social) [1]
Networked: information organizations [1]
Honest Face [1]
Pitiable [5]
Penetrating Voice [1]
Soft spoken [1]

Total (69)
Psychology major and related self study (26)
12 Observation Per/A [2]
14 Psychology Iq/H [12]
13 Body Language [4] Iq/H Psychology-4(-1)
12 Detect Lies [2] Iq/A Psychology-4(-2)
10 Criminology 0pt Psychology-4
10 Propaganda 0pt Psychology-4
12 Sociology Iq/H [2] Psychology-4(-2)
11 Anthropology IQ/H Sociology-3(-1) [2]
10 Meditation Will/H [1]
10 Autohypnosis Will/H [1]

Religion (13)
11 Fortune-Telling Iq/A (Dream Interpretation) [1]
11 Theology IQ/H (Natural rights) Theology (any Christianity)-4(-2) [2]
13 Theology Iq/H (Mormonism) [8]
10 Religious Ritual Iq/H (Mormonism) [1] Theology-4(-3)
10 Dreaming Will/H [1]

Education (10)
14 Writing (Research papers) Iq/E [4]
13 Research Iq/A TL8 [2] Writing-3(-1)
11 Literature IQ/H [2]
12 Teaching IQ/A [1]
12 Computer Operation TL 8 Iq/E [1]

Political (8)
13 History IQ/H (Beginning of Democratic republic/American History) [8]

Families/singing (8)
9 Breath Control HT/H [2]
11 Singing Ht/E [1]*
11 Musical Composition IQ/H [1]*
11 Performance I/A [1]
12 Games IQ/E Chess [1]
12 Hobby Skill IQ/E (Children's play) [1]
12 Housekeeping IQ/E [1]

Other (4)
11 Search Per/A [1]
12 Scrounging Per/E [1]
10 Hiking HT/A [2]

Last edited by Friendpmcii; 01-26-2017 at 04:36 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:36 AM   #29
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The parts of either build that need to be worked with are the same. You can send him to the military or not.

Buy the dreaming skill as "Dreaming (Memory)". Please drop fortune telling: I will not be using dreams that way, and theology is probably the most relevant skill for interpretation along those lines. (Memory) means he specializes in remembering the dreams, and gets a +1 over normal uses.

Please remove auto-hypnosis. Its cinematic and thus not appropriate. If you thought it would have been used in a place, use meditation instead.

The two theologies are still on the same line.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:22 PM   #30
Friendpmcii

Dropped skating and added it to house cleaning and history. Dreaming changed, fortune telling dropped. theologies does not relate to each other (which is what I hope you ment?) auto-hypnosis dropped and added point to meditation.

I was just worried the disadvantage's may be a bit to Complex, but if you are good with them I will stick to the old one.

I rechecked the math, and will likely us the extra found points on fluff. Will edit this page when I figure out what.

EDIT:
9 Dancing Default DX/A [1] (lots of fun learning that one)
12 Gesture Default: IQ/E [1] (the military uses this)
Cultural Familiarity (Muslim) [1] (from time in Iraq)
10 History (LDS) IQ/H [1]
11 Hiking HT/A [2] (forgot to add)

Last edited by Friendpmcii; 01-26-2017 at 07:45 PM.

Tags
ericthered, friendpmcii, lost in dreams