Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 11-15-2022, 10:21 AM   #321
TGLS

Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
He quickly wears himself out going up the tunnel. He was sleeping before, and going up is exhausting. He swears he's picking the most difficult routes up, and sometimes he has to back track.
Idiot. You could have let them bring you almost where you wanted to be, and then escaped. Now you're just going to stumble about until you starve.

I shake off the negativity. Nobody lights fires up here. Maybe someone will eventually notice the smoke? If I just lie down, I'm going to starve anyway, so I might as well keep going.

Quote:
After a long and grueling climb, the heat in his hand goes out. He's on his fourth branch lit on fire.
Hm. I should fetch the fifth branch now and light it with the fourth branch when that gets low. I should only stop when I'm exhausted. It'll probably only be worse when I wake up.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 09:03 AM   #322
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Maybe someone will eventually notice the smoke?
If the smoke was going into the sky, maybe. But its not, its rising up the passage.

Quote:
Hm. I should fetch the fifth branch now and light it with the fourth branch when that gets low. I should only stop when I'm exhausted. It'll probably only be worse when I wake up.
Julian gets that branch lit. How long will he march for? He's got three hours of sleep right now.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 10:26 AM   #323
TGLS

Quote:
If the smoke was going into the sky, maybe. But its not, its rising up the passage.
Well I guess I'll check to see if it's thin near the top of the tunnel occasionally. If I find a spot I could try burning through.

Quote:
[98] 22-11-16 18:23:34 CET

Perception for Holes

3d6 <= 13
6 + 2 + 4 = 12 ... success
Quote:
Julian gets that branch lit. How long will he march for? He's got three hours of sleep right now.
Well if my hands gone out and that's as long as Reslins light, I suppose that's about half an hour. I'd like to march (with breaks) as long as I slept, but I'll probably get ready to sleep once I catch myself dozing when I rest.
Old 11-30-2022, 01:12 PM   #324
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Well I guess I'll check to see if it's thin near the top of the tunnel occasionally. If I find a spot I could try burning through.
Thin spots on the bottom of the tunnel are easy to see: light shines through them from the sky below. Thin spots at the top... that's harder. After a couple dozen checks, Julian can't find a spot that is "thin" at the top, all that seems to be there is more roots and vegetation, with small amounts of dirt.

Quote:
Well if my hands gone out and that's as long as Reslins light, I suppose that's about half an hour. I'd like to march (with breaks) as long as I slept, but I'll probably get ready to sleep once I catch myself dozing when I rest.
Its about two hours, not half an hour. So that would be about another hour of marching. Which is pretty doable.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 11-30-2022, 03:44 PM   #325
TGLS

Quote:
Thin spots on the bottom of the tunnel are easy to see: light shines through them from the sky below. Thin spots at the top... that's harder. After a couple dozen checks, Julian can't find a spot that is "thin" at the top, all that seems to be there is more roots and vegetation, with small amounts of dirt.
Well let's burn through one of the thin spots on the bottom of the tunnel then. I don't imagine the dirt and vegetation will burn that well.

Quote:
Its about two hours, not half an hour. So that would be about another hour of marching. Which is pretty doable.
I think about roots and the vegetation as I continue marching. Probably makes sense to have leaves at the bottom when all the sunlight comes from that direction. Don't really need to grow against gravity either. The mass tangle I'm walking on is probably like the canopy of a rainforest. A little surprising that it can handle the weight of a person.
Old 12-02-2022, 07:49 AM   #326
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The fire on his hand has gone out... make a roll to make it again.

Did you write down the pattern in your diary?

Old 12-02-2022, 10:28 AM   #327
TGLS

Quote:
Did you write down the pattern in your diary?
Quote:
-> Practice drawing Vasic patterns
Well Rails, Ump, etc. knew light and heat, so the answer looks like yes. Maybe worth a bonus.
Quote:
The fire on his hand has gone out... make a roll to make it again.
I guess the burning twig just won't do it.
Quote:
[99] 22-12-02 18:22:58 CET
Vasic Drawing Roll
3d6
5 + 2 + 3 = 10
Old 12-05-2022, 09:22 AM   #328
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Well Rails, Ump, etc. knew light and heat, so the answer looks like yes. Maybe worth a bonus.

I guess the burning twig just won't do it.

yeah, a burning twig won't do it.

I suppose its time to standardize the mechanics behind vasic... or at least explain them to you (Vasic is one of the first custom magic systems I ever did in Gurps.) You are using Vasic Operation (Energy Stone), which is an IQ/A skill. You're doing it by default(-5), with extra time (+?) and a reference (doubles bonus from extra time spent). So spending x4 the time gets you a +4, which is enough.

Julian takes his time, and puts another beam of intense heat on his hand. He slowly starts burning a hole in the vegetation... its not a particuarly efficient way to make a hole. Below him he can see the clouds shining up.

Old 12-05-2022, 11:46 AM   #329
TGLS

Quote:
I suppose its time to standardize the mechanics behind vasic... or at least explain them to you (Vasic is one of the first custom magic systems I ever did in Gurps.)
Yeah, I skimmed that when I realized that Riask was mentioned twice in passing before. I'll update the character sheet with the default.

Quote:
Julian takes his time, and puts another beam of intense heat on his hand. He slowly starts burning a hole in the vegetation... its not a particuarly efficient way to make a hole. Below him he can see the clouds shining up.
Well if it's still burning, hopefully that will draw attention. Then I guess I'll rest away from the burning hole while I wait for the heat on my hand fade. Rather not roll over and burn myself.
Old 12-06-2022, 12:52 PM   #330
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

How big around a hole is Julian going to make?

Tags
lost in dreams