Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:20 PM   #1
C.JeffB

Default How to introduce "complications"?

I have managed to get a couple more friends playing Ogre, and I feel that they have a good grasp on the basic game using the quickstart rules. We actually all three have some free time at the same time this weekend, and I am hoping to introduce them to the GEV maps and some of the new rules.

I'll admit, I have absolutely no idea what the best way to handle teaching all the "extras" would be. I've thought about doing a game or two on the basic map, but adding in the overrun, stacking, and spillover rules, as well as most of the additional units. Moving to the GEV maps afterwards would let the terrain be a totally separate learning step, but I'm not convinced it would be more efficient or time-friendly to do that many games as learning exercises.

How have all of you dealt with introducing people to the rules? Does everyone else simply skip the basic quickstart rules, and teach everything at once? Or are the rules something that takes multiple sessions to teach?
C.JeffB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:48 PM   #2
Buzzardo

Default Re: How to introduce "complications"?

I find that playing is the only way to learn, so I'd quickly go over the differences between Ogre and GEV and then get on with playing.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:22 PM   #3
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.JeffB View Post
I have managed to get a couple more friends playing Ogre, and I feel that they have a good grasp on the basic game using the quickstart rules. We actually all three have some free time at the same time this weekend, and I am hoping to introduce them to the GEV maps and some of the new rules.

I'll admit, I have absolutely no idea what the best way to handle teaching all the "extras" would be. I've thought about doing a game or two on the basic map, but adding in the overrun, stacking, and spillover rules, as well as most of the additional units. Moving to the GEV maps afterwards would let the terrain be a totally separate learning step, but I'm not convinced it would be more efficient or time-friendly to do that many games as learning exercises.

How have all of you dealt with introducing people to the rules? Does everyone else simply skip the basic quickstart rules, and teach everything at once? Or are the rules something that takes multiple sessions to teach?
I like the overrun rules in the basic game. Ramming is even more fun if the victim gets a parting shot, and the game works fine.

Next up is five-unit stacks and spill-over. The rules make sense and take a minute to explain, so you can skip this step.

Terrain after that. Breakthrough is a really good beginner scenarios. Raid next for shooting buildings. Add ogres to see ogres move on terrain.

SHVYs, riding on tanks and GEV-PCs, trucks, the train are fine to put off. Play some Ceasefire Collapse without them first.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:54 AM   #4
Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.JeffB View Post
(snip) How have all of you dealt with introducing people to the rules? Does everyone else simply skip the basic quickstart rules, and teach everything at once? Or are the rules something that takes multiple sessions to teach?
IMO you're over thinking this.

The GEV rules are a more refined version of the Ogre rules or if you prefer the Ogre rule are designed to do one thing, whereas the GEV rules allow for greater scenario flexibility.

Just play and don't sweat it if you misread a rule or forget to implement it, you'll have fun, because playing GEV is like a sandpit full of puppies.

And while I'm being opinionated on the web, Ceasefire collapse is a great training scenario.

Blogs:
http://panther6actual.blogspot.co.uk/
http://ashleyrpollard.blogspot.co.uk/

Last edited by Ashley; 10-22-2016 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Add an opinion
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:59 AM   #5
Dave Crowell

If you are worried about overcomplicating the game start simple. Start with the basic units of Infantry, GEVs, Heavy Tanks, Missile Tanks, and Howitzers, the same ones Ogre started with. Then add Light Tanks and Mobile Howitzers.

Breakthrough is a good scenario for learning how terrain works, but becomes much harder for the attacker to win when the defender realizes their are only three good routes off the North end of the map and sets up accordingly.

Ceasefire Collapse is a straight forward slugfest and also good for learning terrain or new units.

The new rules for playing on the green map are basically terrain and its effects on movement and defense, stacking and spillover fire, and overrun combat. None of these are particularly difficult to learn. Spillover fire and overrun combat will give some nasty surprises in how deadly they can be.

IMO cruise missiles and lasers are the most game changing element in the "advanced" rules. I usually play without them. I also usually don't play with the buildings and strongpoints. Not because they are complicated, but just because Ogre/GEV is my popcorn game and I just want to blow stuff up.
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:05 AM   #6
ghostofjfd

It's a good question. I've taught G.E.V. to only one beginner, my son when he was 12. As I recall we started with straight-up Ogre and then moved to some green-map scenarios. We played with terrain effects, overrun, and spillover right off the bat, and I'm sure we played several scenarios without getting into cruise missiles. We probably also skipped the terrain-damage rules, which were cruftier in 5th edition than they are now. We ignored trains initially, too.

I'm with Ashley and Buzzardo on this: jump in to any of the pre-Shockwave scenarios and you'll likely have few or no problems.
ghostofjfd is offline   Reply With Quote