Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-07-2022, 12:25 PM   #1
cmdicely

Default Building cone attacks with displaced origin

So, I was looking at building powers for cone attacks that start somewhat distant from the character, and haven’t found anything existing for it. So here’s what I came up with, thoughts?
  • A simple version (where the cone always originates on the line from attacker to target) I figured is +0%.
  • A more advanced version (where the origin is placed with an attack, and the cone can be directed in any direction) I figured allows an effect like the Suprise Attack variant of Overhead, with more flexibility, so like +200%.

In both cases, build it as a ranged attack, but split the 1/2D and Max between the two attacks (when the attack is created.)
cmdicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 03:29 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Building cone attacks with displaced origin

Yeah Surprise Attack is where I would start too. Likely stop there as well, its simple.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:24 AM   #3
Varyon

Default Re: Building cone attacks with displaced origin

IIRC, RPM handles situations like this by having the ritual pay for Range twice - pay for how far away it can originate from the character, then pay for how far the attack travels. I'd probably handle this similarly - if the ability is already ranged, you still add on Ranged +40% (if it normally isn't ranged, you need to buy that twice, for +80%), then you modify each range using Increased Range / Reduced Range separately. If it always travels in the direction away from the character, that's enough; if the character can dictate which direction it travels in, +200% is probably appropriate. So, let's say you've got a 1d burn Innate Attack that generates a 1-yard-wide cone (a line) that is 100 yards long; the attack can originate anywhere within 1000 yards, but it deals half damage if it originates from further away than 100 yards (the line itself deals full damage along its entire length):

Innate Attack 1d burn (Cone, 1 yard, +60%; Direction Control +200%; Increased Range x10 (Starting Point) +30%; Increased Range, 1/2D Only, x10 (Cone) +15%; Ranged +40%) [22.25], which rounds up to [23].

If you end up with two overlapping instances of 1/2D, this results in an overall 1/4 damage. Say the above lacks the x10 to 1/2D on the cone, such that the Starting Point has Range 100/1000 while the Cone has Range 10/100, and you have a cone that starts 200 yards away - the attack would deal half damage out to 10 yards from where it originates, and a 1/4 damage out to 100 yards. Note the first 1/2D only cares about where the attack originates - for our above attack where the Starting Point has Range 100/1000 and the Cone simply has Range 100, you can deal full damage up to 200 yards away by having the cone originate 100 yards away (within 1/2D, so full damage) and the travel directly away from you.