Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-31-2012, 05:42 AM   #41
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Doesn't Bleed- Rules Exemption (Bleeding)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
The placebo effect is not the only explanation for some people getting better in studies.
The placebo effect is specifically when the patient doesn't know they don't have an effective treatment, so I don't see how meditation has anything to do with it.
No the Placebo effect is they think they are receiving an effective treatment.

If they think Meditation is an effective treatment for say various stress related aliments Then it it will have a placebo effect. And in testing the treatment you need to statistically analyze of the results are better than the placebo effect to say if it has a real effect on the aliment.

Even if a treatment is effective, the placibe effect can change how effect the treatment in, between secret treatment, and open treatment

Last edited by roguebfl; 07-31-2012 at 05:45 AM.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:38 AM   #42
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
As was mentioned before, in reality the main purpose of Meditation is for "lifestyle" benefits. It can calm a person when upset and provide incidental health improvements. These are mostly below the resolution of what GURPS handles, but I think some game use can still be gotten from it.
Meditation can also grant you insight on, morally, what one should do, which I think is fine as a realistic use of the skill. It is a form of deep contemplation. That's how I use it in Cherry Blossom Rain, and I've been surprised by how often people use it (I think they feel they should meditate anyway, and getting a chance to ask for some clarifications on the situation and their character's responsibilities is just a bonus)
Old 07-31-2012, 08:47 AM   #43
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Actually, it can still have an effect if real medicine is given, resulting in overrated effectiveness of medicine (e.g. when the biochemistry accounts for +2 and the placebo effect for +3).
Yep. Folks (generally) get better results from pills from a known brand name bottle vs pills from a generic bottle. Drug trials are heavily complicated by this problem - just getting the extra attention and pomp and ceremony of being part of an exclusive drug trial can produce more dramatic results than you end up getting once the drug goes into production and is used in a normal environment.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:55 AM   #44
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Sure he would, but in a rather longer time frame.
It was a retorical question. The rules are pretty clear here.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bleeding, immunity, injury tolerance, no blood, rules exemption