Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-10-2010, 01:58 PM   #41
Icelander

Default Re: My thoughts on Staves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I don't think that accomplishes all that much...They only get to switch once per turn, and defensive grip is rather more (inconvenient, for the most part) than just a +1 to parry.
True. It's more like +1 every other turn, if the staffman insists on swinging all the time. But if he thrusts, it's a flat +1 and he always has the option of swinging.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:14 PM   #42
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
True. It's more like +1 every other turn, if the staffman insists on swinging all the time. But if he thrusts, it's a flat +1 and he always has the option of swinging.
I'm more concerned by how it hurts your defenses if you ever need to deal with an attack that doesn't come from the front.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #43
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I'm more concerned by how it hurts your defenses if you ever need to deal with an attack that doesn't come from the front.
Oh, that.

Well, apart from the fact that one man fighting many will realistically probably get creamed, if you know that you'll need to Parry from the side hexes, you obviously avoid Defensive Grip. After all, you can switch as a free action once per turn.

But happily, fencing weapons are also penalised against attacks from the sides, so it's all good.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:32 PM   #44
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
But yes, I suppose whiplash and concussion rules could be more severe than just regular Blunt Trauma. Any ideas for how to implement that?
Make them have to roll on the Critical Head Blow Table if they fail the HT roll to avoid knockdown and stunning by 5 or more after taking Blunt Trauma to the head.

To make it even nastier just penalize the HT roll to avoid knockdown and stunning at -1 per point of Blunt Trauma.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #45
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Make them have to roll on the Critical Head Blow Table if they fail the HT roll to avoid knockdown and stunning by 5 or more after taking Blunt Trauma to the head.

To make it even nastier just penalize the HT roll to avoid knockdown and stunning at -1 per point of Blunt Trauma.
I like the latter idea.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #46
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Makes me wonder if all those Arena reports are an exaggeration.
My interpretation of many of these reports is that they're often a case of "one trick pony" versus "player who doesn't know how to exploit the holes in the one trick pony."
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:41 PM   #47
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
My interpretation of many of these reports is that they're often a case of "one trick pony" versus "player who doesn't know how to exploit the holes in the one trick pony."
In fairness, a staff fighter in the RAW has very few weaknesses.

The weapon breaking against heavier weapons is about the only one I can think of, but in a game which removes that as unrealistic*, it's a very strong over-all build.

As it should be, of course. But I'd prefer if staves did not strike with more power than bokken unless used in a special grip.

*Which it is.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:45 PM   #48
DouglasCole

Quote:
A staff ought to be brilliant defensively. I just have problems visualising how one manages to get the same damage from it while holding it near the middle and ready for another +2 Parry as one gets while holding it near the end and swinging full force.
For our staff fighting, we grip with the back hand maybe six inches from the end, and the front hand comfortably on the grip, two to three feet from the rear hand. On a six foot pole, that means about three feet (half) the pole is in front of you.

and six feet is SHORT for a historical quarterstaff, called such because it was gripped with the back hand, I think, a quarter of the way from the end.

Still, the end-to-middle grip we use is darn good for defense; allows you to slide hands all over the darn thing, and probably gives Reach 2.

I'd assume that was Staff skill; used with Defensive Grip would be the 'hold it in the middle' thing that, I seem to recall, was created for stage performances?
Old 08-10-2010, 06:47 PM   #49
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
For our staff fighting, we grip with the back hand maybe six inches from the end, and the front hand comfortably on the grip, two to three feet from the rear hand. On a six foot pole, that means about three feet (half) the pole is in front of you.
That's my point. The leverage of a swing is similar to what you get from a bokken. Hence, sw+1 cr.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #50
DouglasCole

Quote:
As it should be, of course. But I'd prefer if staves did not strike with more power than bokken unless used in a special grip.
Not sure about this. No question one can hit very hard with a bokken. I'm not convinced, though, that you shouldn't be able to hit harder with a staff. You get more leverage from your hands being farther apart, and you STILL get a three foot lever arm beyond that. I used to HATE our staff fighting classes until I got an extra inside-the-helmet pad for my gear. After that, it was much more friendly

A variation on this one: http://www.e-bogu.com/Men_Pad_p/tak-pro-menpad-.htm

Tags
martial art, polearm, rules interpretation, rules question, staff