Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-06-2009, 12:47 AM   #11
BaronVonStevie

Default Re: my "GURPS: Star Trek" game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
Here's my Andorian write-up from our Trek game in case you need one (It's cheap enough for affordability at your proposed power level, and IMHO accurate):

Good luck!
thank you. mostly using the trek wiki and what little trek i own that includes andorians. the andorians will be included with my racial templates soon enough.

which, by the way, is not to say that i'm trying to honor all canon. I'm not and neither is JJ.

Last edited by BaronVonStevie; 06-06-2009 at 09:25 AM.
BaronVonStevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:11 AM   #12
BaronVonStevie

"Peace and long life. Live long... and prosper."
Vulcans/Romulans (61 points)
Attributes [40]: Str +2 [20 pts], IQ +1 [20 pts]
Secondary Characteristics: Basic Speed +.5 [5]
Advantages [22 total]: Acute Hearing [2 pts], Extra Lifting ST 4 [12], Longevity [2 pts], Rapid Healing [5], Temperature Tolerance (hot) [1]
Romulan Disadvantages [-10]: Romulan Deviousness (replaces Bad Temper with Paranoia) [-10]
Vulcan Disadvantages [-10]: The Vulcan Way (replaces Bad Temper; contains Unfazeable, Low Empathy, Ritualism) [-10]
Languages [4]: Federation Standard (accented) [4], Vulcan or Romulan (native) [0].

notes...

I want Vulcans to be special. *SPOILER* with so few of them left in the galaxy, it seems to me that it's okay to make them expensive pointwise. My Vulcan template allows a starting 120 point character very little room for extra disadvantages. Vulcans must try to be perfect. Those rules fit the style I want. Some of the more monastic disciplines found in Vulcan culture (example: older spock throughout the films) are not known to every Vulcan. They don't all know how to meditate or shield their minds against telepathy. They don't all know Surak's teachings backwards and forwards. They don't all use logic perfectly even.

Expensive, yes but... Vulcans are adept at many different ship duties. They needn't be stereotyped as science officers.

Last edited by BaronVonStevie; 01-23-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:06 AM   #13
archie

This is great. Please keep 'em coming.
archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:28 AM   #14
Jeffr0

That Vulcan template is fantastic.

Truly a case of GURPS finesse at its best....
Old 06-08-2009, 11:16 AM   #15
BaronVonStevie

"No great victory comes without sacrifice."
Andorians (21 pts)
Attributes: ST +1 [10 pts]
Secondary Characteristics: Per (from antennae*, can be destroyed) +1 [4 pts], Will +1 [5]
Advantages: Acute Hearing (from antennae*, can be destroyed) [2 pts], Perfect Balance (from antennae*, can be destroyed) [14], Regeneration (slow; antennae only) [2], Temperature Tolerance (10F-65F) [0]
Disadvantage: Code of Honor (Ushaan) [-15], Proud [-1]
Languages: Andorian (native) [0], Federation Standard (accented) [4]

*antennae are a separate body part that can be attacked using the same rules for hands or feet.

Andorian Chaka Fighting (4 points)
Skills: Fast Draw (sword), Karate, Short Sword (chaka)
Advantages: Damage Resistance (tough skin), Unfazeable, Weapon Master
Techniques: agressive parry, counterattack, disarming, hook, retain weapon
Cinematic Techniques: Dual Weapon Attack, Dual Weapon Defense, Flying Jump Kick, Whirlwind Attack
Perks: Off Hand Weapon Training, Sure Footed

notes...

I want Andorians to emanate a certain stoic panache. Their fighting style is going to be fun and swashbuckling (there's that word again) to go along with the cornball sci fi looks and honorbound nature. People generally like the Andorians because they're... over the top. My Andorian template is cheap and colorful. I don't think star trek has tried to make these guys as deep or influential on the star trek mythos as Klingons or Vulcans, but nonetheless Andorians are cool and have tenure. I've turned them into the samurai of star trek. I'm very pleased with how the atennae have worked out.

I've tried not to leave them stereotyped. They are well suited to being scientists or warriors, but I think once you tap that fighting style it's kind of obvious that andorians mean business. Take notice that I've changed the traditional chaka from a dagger to a short sword. It still has the "C" range... they use the same stats as a long knife. I just thought it was cooler. Bottom line.

Last edited by BaronVonStevie; 06-08-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:52 AM   #16
BaronVonStevie

"If your lies are going to be this transparent, this is going to be a very short interrogation"
Cardassians (20 pts)
Attributes: HT +1 [10].
Secondary Characteristics: +1 Per [5].
Advantages: Eidetic Memory [5], High Pain Tolerance [10], Temperature Tolerance (50-110 F) [0].
Disadvantage: Cold Blooded [-5], Paranoia [-10]
Languages: Cardassian (native) [0], Federation Standard (accented) [4].
Skills: Detect Lies Per-2 [1].

Cardassian Empire: Basic Training (20 pts)
Attributes: +1 ST [10]
Secondary Characteristics: +1 HP [2], Will +1 [5].
Advantages: Fit [5], Legal Enforcement Powers [5], Social Regard (feared) +1 [5].
Disadvantages: Duty (Cardassian Soldier, hazardous) [-20], Overconfident [-5].
Primary Skills [0]: none [0].
Secondary Skills [13]: Computer Use IQ [1], Energy Weapon (pistol) DX [1], Intimidate Will [2], Cardassian Martial Arts (use MCMAP) [3], Savoir Faire (military) IQ [1], Soldier IQ [2], Spacer IQ [1], Survival Per [2].
Background Skills [0]: none [0].

notes...

Would not have written cardassians up, but apparently in Abrams' trek the federation has made enough contact with cardassia that you can buy cardassian alchohol in Iowa. I like this template a great deal. It sticks pretty close to cardassian stereotypes without dumping the character into one role or "class". This is a pretty broad minded race mechanically. They have a style, but it's not intrusive at all. Not a playable star fleet race. I haven't decided how the Cardassians are going to be in the 23rd century. I would assume they are much closer to the pre-bajor liberation baddies of TNG. This is a Cardassia free of Federation entanglements. They have an army of fearsome spies in the Obsidian Order that would make cool villains. I imagine they are a close parallel to Nazi Germany; albeit one that doesn't try to expand beyond its borders... not yet.

Last edited by BaronVonStevie; 06-08-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:46 PM   #17
Koley Porter

This is great stuff! Coincidentally, we just began an "alternate timeline" Star Trek game last night. I did not have time to prepare many house rules for the game (not even the "official" skill list), but we got the crew together, including an Andorian security officer. I appreciate you posting your work. Keep it up!
Koley Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:43 PM   #18
BaronVonStevie

I commend your rushing into things. I am jonesing to play star trek like you would not believe. That movie made me feel like a kid again.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:08 AM   #19
BaronVonStevie

"Obedience. Duty. Death, and more death ..."
Romulans
Attributes: Str +2 [20 pts], IQ +1 [20 pts]
Advantages: Acute Hearing [2 pts], Longevity [2 pts]
Disadvantages/Quirks: Careful [-1 pt], Intolerance (Vulcans) [-5]
Languages: Federation Standard (accented) [4], Romulan (native) [0]
Total Points: 42 pts

Romulan Star Empire: Basic Training (20 pts)
Attributes: +1 DX [20]
Secondary Characteristics: +1 HP [2], Will +1 [5].
Advantages: Fit [5], Social Regard (feared) +1 [5].
Disadvantages: Duty (Romulan Soldier, hazardous) [-20], Fanaticism [-15].
Primary Skills [0]: none [0].
Secondary Skills: Computer Use IQ [1], Energy Weapon (pistol) DX [1], History (romulan empire military) IQ [4], Romulan Martial Arts (brawling DX [1], style familiarity [1], trident DX-1 [1], wrestling DX-1 [1]), Savoir Faire (military) IQ [1], Soldier IQ [2], Spacer IQ [1], Survival Per [2].
Background Skills [0]: none [0].

Romulan Martial Arts (4 points)
Skills: brawling, javelin, wrestling
Advantages: weapon master
Techniques: choke hold (wrestling), feint (javelin), hook (javelin), knee strike, retain weapon, two handed punch

notes...

I want Romulans to be a hybrid of the old 60s variety and the new Nero look. My Romulans carry all the Roman parallels along with the bald heads. I don't buy the explaination from the countdown comic. I think JJ just thought bald Romulans looked cool. Their trident skill included in the basic training reflects those weapons many of the Romulans carried in JJ's film. I want them as a standard issue Romulan weapon; as ubiquitos as the Klingon Bat'leth. Romulan soldiers are the best trained in the galaxy, but carry a fanatical loyalty to the praetor that can be their undoing. Mark Lenard's original Romulan commander will always be an inspiring force upon the way I think of Romulans.

and please excuse the less than authentic sounding hand to hand names. I do not speak Romulan, nor do I have a good idea of what to call it. I wanted a lot of flair and passion in the way they fight. The Romulans should also reflect the power of the empire when they fight.

Last edited by BaronVonStevie; 06-09-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:29 AM   #20
Flyndaran
Untagged

Here's a general question for Star Trek players.
How do you keep humans from looking like the crippled losers of the galaxy?

As a human with ST 12, I would equal the average vulcan?
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
star trek