Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-06-2008, 03:19 PM   #21
elustran

Default Re: [Spaceships] Star Trek Ships

It would probably be better to have multiple nacelles count as multiple systems, given the amount of space they take up and to keep the 'feel' of the genre. Just stipulate that you need all of them working in order for your warp drive to function. This also means that if both get damaged, you have twice as many repairs to do before you can get moving, which seems 'realistic' within the setting.
elustran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:41 AM   #22
Randover

I can't quote esisodes since its some time from my trek days but I would call disabling nascales a GM arbitrary call. In some episodes the whole ship get disabled or even destroyed if hit to the one nascale...In other episode it had to drop out of warp, with little or none damage - only reharmonising the warpfield. And I am pretty sure that it was possible if nessesary to ajust the ship to temporalily fly with only one nascale - but take note that the geometry of warp field was essencial and it resonated somewhat with the shape of ship...So it might be hard for something as Galaxy class travel only on one nescale...
Randover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 04:12 PM   #23
doctorevilbrain

Hackbarth, when I click on your webpage, it just shows a blank white page.
doctorevilbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 04:36 PM   #24
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by elustran View Post
It would probably be better to have multiple nacelles count as multiple systems, given the amount of space they take up and to keep the 'feel' of the genre. Just stipulate that you need all of them working in order for your warp drive to function. This also means that if both get damaged, you have twice as many repairs to do before you can get moving, which seems 'realistic' within the setting.
I would say you need engineering rolls to warp with fewer nacelles than the ship normally warps with, but protagonist engineers always seem to be able to to perform miracles on the shows.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:20 PM   #25
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by elustran View Post
Just stipulate that you need all of them working in order for your warp drive to function.
I'm pretty sure there were a couple of episodes where ships were able to warp, albeit at reduced speed, with one nacelle out of commission.

(But it's Trek. If you want to require all nacelles to be functional, feel free. It won't be the only contradiction you face, and it was't a major point in most of the series.)
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:50 PM   #26
Imbicatus

The number of nacelles has always been variable. Several canon federation ships had one, three, or four nacelles instead of two.
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:51 PM   #27
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
(But it's Trek. If you want to require all nacelles to be functional, feel free. It won't be the only contradiction you face, and it was't a major point in most of the series.)
It's SF television. However much damage is in the visuals, chosen for how cool it looks, is exactly the amount necessary for the plot, which might possibly have been written before the visual effects guys started working on the sequence, but you shouldn't count on it. I'm pretty sure the lead time required on graphics heavy sequences is still longer than on final scripts.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:05 PM   #28
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbicatus View Post
The number of nacelles has always been variable. Several canon federation ships had one, three, or four nacelles instead of two.
Some other species ships do without nacelles altogether and build the warp drive into the hull. The Klingon Bird of Prey does this. The D-7/K'tinga class has what are presumably the warp engines closer to the hull and not exactly out on pylons.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:33 PM   #29
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbicatus View Post
Including the Federation Scout ship which had 1 nacelle.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 07:58 PM   #30
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
It's SF television. However much damage is in the visuals, chosen for how cool it looks, is exactly the amount necessary for the plot, which might possibly have been written before the visual effects guys started working on the sequence, but you shouldn't count on it. I'm pretty sure the lead time required on graphics heavy sequences is still longer than on final scripts.
Or they could just reuse the same half dozen or so graphics regardless of script like original Battlestar Galactica. Man, I loved that cheese as a kid.

Tags
spaceships, star trek