Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-03-2022, 03:53 AM   #31
Willy

Default Re: Smartglasses TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
Even before COVID and facemasks, gait recognition has been in development. Doesn't need to see a face, so provides an alternative - it's just not great in terms of human verification.
Fun fact Iīm nearly complete face blind, an itīs working quite good enough forme to come araound. If I have enough data aka spend enough time with persons to see how the act and move. I recognize even if heavy nearsighted knowwn friends and family member from a hundert meters or more, just by the way they move. And yes even with darkness penalities, I have little problem, as long it isnīt so dark I canīt see the person.

As a famous author said, any sufficent developped technology is indistinguishable from magic. Claskīs third law.

Therefor wait a few years for better optics and behavior analysis and there you go.

Last edited by Willy; 01-03-2022 at 03:54 AM. Reason: added quote spelling error
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 08:12 AM   #32
DemiBenson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
Even before COVID and facemasks, gait recognition has been in development. Doesn't need to see a face, so provides an alternative - it's just not great in terms of human verification.
I foresee a brisk business in gait-altering lower-body exoskeletons.
Old 01-04-2022, 08:37 AM   #33
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
Fun fact Iīm nearly complete face blind, an itīs working quite good enough forme to come araound. If I have enough data aka spend enough time with persons to see how the act and move. I recognize even if heavy nearsighted knowwn friends and family member from a hundert meters or more, just by the way they move. And yes even with darkness penalities, I have little problem, as long it isnīt so dark I canīt see the person.

As a famous author said, any sufficent developped technology is indistinguishable from magic. Claskīs third law.

Therefor wait a few years for better optics and behavior analysis and there you go.
I'm nearsighted, and spent about a decade without corrective lenses. I also developed an ability to identify friends and family from a distance by the way they moved their body, even when they would just be a blur of color. It's amazing what the mind can do when it has to
Old 01-04-2022, 01:34 PM   #34
Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiBenson View Post
I foresee a brisk business in gait-altering lower-body exoskeletons.
Hahaha! It makes me think of the Ministry of Silly Walks :-)
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 12:13 PM   #35
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Basically when considering the first issue is that there will be nothing they can do that cant be done with a handheld device. The difference, of course is that they can do all those things without occupying a hand, or entirely blocking your regular vision. And possibly a bit less inconspicuously.

So what can it actually help with?

1. Recording or transmitting video from eye level. And given that capability annoying other people just by looking at them since they'll frequently suspect you of recording them if they recognise what you are wearing.

2. Targeting assistance as it can tell you exactly where your smart gun is pointed making every firefight a more videogame-like experience.

3. Navigational assistance as it displays a translucent minimap of your surroundings. Making every walking tour a more videogame-like experience.

4. Facial recognition allowing it to tag everyone identifiable with a name and perhaps a tag saying some significant fact about them.

5. Text answers to the kind of questions you ask Siri

6. Assistance to technicians by conveniently labeling components and pointing out visually detectable damage you might overlook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
One interesting question this raises is, what would be common countermeasures that become available?

You also didn't mention a classic AR problem: constant, targeted, intrusive advertising. And also the idea that you could have the glasses block visual data you find distasteful.
A major potential pair of use cases almost but not quite covered here:

1. Personal shared metadata. Want people to know your name, job, pronouns, hobby, orientation, or latest publication on sight? You may say 'heck no' but loads of people put that kind of thing in public social media profiles. And you could certainly publish the info contextually and plausibly have access controls to show different info to different people. Probably great for professional conferences at least.

2. Special effects IRL. Formal LARPers or just kids running around throwing imaginary magic or lasers, either way you can have your imaginary spectacle be a little less purely imaginary. Or augment your face-to-face conversation with emoji animations, or take your personal style a bit beyond the physically feasible.

Pretty sure both of those I have seen in fiction.

Tags
tech level