Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-25-2019, 09:53 PM   #21
Alden Loveshade

Default Re: How much for royal blood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miley Spears View Post
Make sure you clean the blood and not the container it's in! :)
Definitely. Cleaning the container could mean a nice, clean, bloodless container!
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:02 PM   #22
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Pick a number that looks right.

Oh, wait. This is GURPS.

Pick a number that looks right, then look it up on the Size/Range table.
lol
Actually, by "pick a number that looks right," I think you're confusing the GURPS system with the bureaucracy of Megalos.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:29 PM   #23
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Loveshade View Post
Good question. We're pretty much using the standard system from GURPS Magic. As for alchemy, I was in charge of developing that for the GURPS Davenford campaign at Strategicon conventions, so that part's pretty much home brewed but it's fully compatible with GURPS Magic.

I know you've done work in GURPS in alchemy, and I probably don't have everything. What SJGames alchemy resources do you know of?
Well, Standard Magic alchemy, the stuff from Thaumatology, and RPM. That's pretty much it. What are the effects of royal blood exactly?

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:26 PM   #24
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Well, Standard Magic alchemy, the stuff from Thaumatology, and RPM. That's pretty much it. What are the effects of royal blood exactly?
I'm seriously blanking here. What's RPM?

As for the effects, frankly it's never come up in this campaign, and was unexpected when it did. In a previous campaign, we essentially figured things as the rarer and more harder to get the blood, the more valuable. I don't have the details at hand, but I remember three drops of dragon heart's blood (blood that came directly from the heart) was a vital ingredient in an expensive elixir.

In the current campaign, we're partially making things up as we go along (it's a half-serious, half tongue-in-cheek campaign). I thought I'd just throw it out here and see what people came up with, and frankly am surprised and pleased at the fascinating results it's gotten so far!
Old 11-25-2019, 11:48 PM   #25
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
I'm seriously blanking here. What's RPM?
Ritual Path Magic. Debuted in GURPS Monster Hunters 1 but got so popular it got it's own book and a spinoff book.

Quote:
As for the effects, frankly it's never come up in this campaign, and was unexpected when it did. In a previous campaign, we essentially figured things as the rarer and more harder to get the blood, the more valuable. I don't have the details at hand, but I remember three drops of dragon heart's blood (blood that came directly from the heart) was a vital ingredient in an expensive elixir.
Well, you cannot set price until you decide what it does.

Quote:
In the current campaign, we're partially making things up as we go along (it's a half-serious, half tongue-in-cheek campaign). I thought I'd just throw it out here and see what people came up with, and frankly am surprised and pleased at the fascinating results it's gotten so far!
Yeah, you're going to need to nail down what it does if you want to figure what it costs.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 03:09 AM   #26
Celjabba

A relic believed to be stained by blood from King Louis XVI (dna analysis later disproved it) was bought for ~5k and re-auctioned for ~18k€ in 2013 in France.

Assuming Popular devotion and Alchemy give a similar value to the royal blood properties, we have a data point.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:57 AM   #27
Stormcrow

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought the answer was going to be 30+ points for Status 6+, or else an Unusual Background that covers whatever abilities having royal blood might grant you. :D
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:07 AM   #28
Racer

Royal 'Heir' Hair ? Free if you share chocolates with the then Zara Phillips , when your both having your hair done in same studio ;-) Her & my acquaintance Mistress Voiddancer were both being interviewed at ITV studios in 2004 . They swapped locks of hair clippings .
Pint of blood ? Possibly free if you state it's for an 'Art Display' for a Blood Donation charity & you ask Zara nicely .
Had a blood bank display at Millennium Dome in 2000 , with 50ml bags donated by multiple celebrities .

The late Princess Margaret on other hand ... err ... bottle of wine , few Martini's & promise of good party later on for a pint ? Possibility of it spontaneously combusting in presence of flames ... static ... or oxygen would be rather high though ... so risky proposition at the time ... *eeep*

Sarah Ferguson ... well ... not technically 'Royal' ( descended from THREE of Charles II illegitimate children ) ... well I'd better not speculate , but not very much at all .
Old 11-26-2019, 08:43 AM   #29
Varyon

Quote:
In a previous campaign, we essentially figured things as the rarer and more harder to get the blood, the more valuable.
For humans, scaling by Status seems the most appropriate here. Status -2 slaves and the like are worth the least, Status 8 emperors are worth the most. Further modifiers based on supernaturally-desirable qualities - virginity, exotic heritage, etc - may be worth further modifiers. Based on the CoL of each Status (which is linked to the Wealth level commonly associated with each), if we set Status -2 blood as worth $1/pint, we get the following table:
Code:
Status	$/pint
-2	1
-1	3
 0	6
 1	12
 2	30
 3	120
 4	600
 5	6,000
 6	60,000
 7	600,000
 8	6,000,000
Basing it instead off of typical monthly pay for the wealth levels associated with each Status, you get the following table (adjusted to adhere to the SSR table*):
Code:
Status	$/pint
-2	1
-1	2
 0	5
 1	10
 2	20
 3	100
 4	500
 5	5,000
 6	50,000
 7	500,000
 8	5,000,000
Personally, I favor the second table, although they're pretty close. Feel free to adjust the base as needed. Note at the typical ~TL4 of Fantasy settings, the second table works out to 0.625% of monthly payment, or around 1.25 hours (1 hour, 15 minutes) of work**. With my previous suggestion of 10% of monthly payment, that would be $16 per pint for Status -2 (and $800,000 per pint for a Status 6 princess). With Anthony's suggestion of 1 day's wage, you'd be looking at $6.40 per pint for Status -2 ($320,000 per pint for a Status 6 princess). Particularly at Status 4 and above, you've got a lot of wiggle room for modifiers - perhaps draconic blood is worth a full +1 Status, while virgin blood is worth +0.5 Status (x5 at Status 4+). Alternatively, just have modifiers adjust following the SSR table - perhaps draconic blood is worth +6 SSR (x10) regardless of status, while virgin blood is worth +3 SSR (x5). If draconic blood or the like already adjusts a character's Status, price probably doesn't need further adjustment. Similarly, you'll need to decide if nobles/royals can "game" the system - would granting a commoner knighthood or a peerage immediately make their blood worth more, or does it take some time (possibly generations) for it to readjust to its new Status? If this is known, granted Status may be treated as Courtesy Status until it solidifies (a new noble house isn't truly noble until it reaches its third generation, say).

If your setting has Status below -2 and/or above 8 (or if modifiers change this; diseased blood is probably -1 to Status or worse), every -1 to Status is -2 steps on the SSR table to worth (Status -3 is $0.5/pint, Status -4 is $0.1/pint, etc). Every +1 to Status (once you reach Status 4) is +6 steps on the SSR table to worth (Status 9 is $50M, Status 10 is $500M, etc).

*SSR refers to the Size and Speed/Range Table (B550)
**LTC3 assumes 8 hours per workday and 25 workdays per month, for a total of 200 work hours per month. 0.625% of 200 is 1.25.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:48 AM   #30
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Ritual Path Magic. Debuted in GURPS Monster Hunters 1 but got so popular it got it's own book and a spinoff book....
Thanks. I actually own GURPS Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic, but for some reason never thought of the magical form as RPM. I think of RPM as revolutions per minute.

Tags
alchemist. alchemical, alchemy, blood, ingredient, royal