Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-07-2016, 03:37 PM   #11
scc

Default Re: [Magic]Brewing Potions

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Depends on what you are going for.

Do you want to replace the current Alchemy system completely? Then go for using more Enchantment style rules, allow for other 'Alchemist' to be working in shifts casting the 'potion' or even for Apprentices to maintain the working (if not being able to add to it) while the Potion master sleeps. This will allow for the mega-potions to be brewable (without needing whacky munchkin hijinx), then yes.

If you want this to be something a PC does for a few days as adventure prep, replacing the Hang Spell, then no.
But I don't want Mega-Potions. But otherwise I might go for moving it to the enchantment rules.

Quote:
Ahhh, so it's "Spend 10 FP per hour worked", not "Spend X hours working then Spend Xx10 FP".

Sleep can be gotten around. With apprentices (or other mages paid to do this) casting Lend Energy* the Potion Brewer can go for days before passing out.

* With a combination of Lend Energy and Awaken spells being cast on him ... the Brewer never actually needs to sleep. Ever.

This also means the Potion Brewers Guild is probably run by Liches. Which is kinda cool.
Remember that a normal FP10 human can only miss 10 hours of sleep before fainting. And that sort of was what I was going for, if you want a potion that requires more then X energy to brew it becomes increasingly more expensive.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:11 PM   #12
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Remember that a normal FP10 human can only miss 10 hours of sleep before fainting. And that sort of was what I was going for, if you want a potion that requires more then X energy to brew it becomes increasingly more expensive.
Then I guess stick with it? But keep in mind what you've created is* better than Hang Spell.

1 - It gets energy reduction from high skill.
2 - It doesn't count as a spell on.
3 - It's not Dispelable.

* It's much generally slower to cast... but it's still awesome comparatively speaking.

Quote:
Remember that a normal FP10 human can only miss 10 hours of sleep before fainting.
Awaken gets around that, you just need to cast it once an hour, just before the prior Awaken wears off.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:56 PM   #13
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Then I guess stick with it? But keep in mind what you've created is* better than Hang Spell.

1 - It gets energy reduction from high skill.
2 - It doesn't count as a spell on.
3 - It's not Dispelable.

* It's much generally slower to cast... but it's still awesome comparatively speaking.

Awaken gets around that, you just need to cast it once an hour, just before the prior Awaken wears off.
Vigil is better.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:04 PM   #14
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Vigil is better.
Except for the -3 cumulative penalty for each night's sleep skipped.

Granted the Lend Energy + constant Awaken spells requires a team of dedicated "Keeping You Awake" apprentices.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:11 PM   #15
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Except for the -3 cumulative penalty for each night's sleep skipped.

Granted the Lend Energy + constant Awaken spells requires a team of dedicated "Keeping You Awake" apprentices.
If you're going to do it for longer than Vigil is practical you're going to need multiple rotating squads of apprentices.

There will come a point where this is all more trouble than its' worth. Might be pretty soon too..
Old 04-07-2016, 09:21 PM   #16
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
There will come a point where this is all more trouble than its' worth. Might be pretty soon too..
But necessary for that really expensive Resurrection Potion.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:25 PM   #17
Fred Brackin

Quote:
But necessary for that really expensive Resurrection Potion.
No, at 300 energy and 10 energy per hour that can be done in less than two rounds of Vigil or one Vigil and just a few Awakens. This perpetual Awaken machine would ionly be required for something bigger.

Note that this result is one reason why I suspect the proposed spell might be broken.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:32 PM   #18
scc

Quote:
Doesn't actually help, after ten hours you FP pool is reduced by 10, so for a 10FP person you simply can't wake up.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:29 PM   #19
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
No, at 300 energy and 10 energy per hour that can be done in less than two rounds of Vigil or one Vigil and just a few Awakens. This perpetual Awaken machine would ionly be required for something bigger.
Is there something bigger (besides Area spells)? I reached for Rez as it's the one spell I'm confident I've never seen a PC cast ever. Or even think about casting.

Quote:
Note that this result is one reason why I suspect the proposed spell might be broken.
That's very generous of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Doesn't actually help, after ten hours you FP pool is reduced by 10, so for a 10FP person you simply can't wake up.
Lend Energy.

Unless you are House Ruling that the 1 FP cost of Awaken can only be recovered via natural sleep (which is not a part of the spell write up)....
Old 04-07-2016, 11:05 PM   #20
scc

Quote:
Lend Energy.

Unless you are House Ruling that the 1 FP cost of Awaken can only be recovered via natural sleep (which is not a part of the spell write up)....
No, but the FP you lose to lost sleep can't be recovered by anything else but sleep. Think LFP from AtE except tracking what caused you to gain them

Tags
alchemy, magic, potions