Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 03-09-2015, 05:15 AM   #1
RogerBW

Default ID values in GCA

This is a mildly obscure feature request for GCA5.

If the saved character files use ID values as the ones in GCA4 do, could they be globally unique rather than sequential?

I ask because the use of sequential values makes merges harder. If a character has been branched and that branch is then to be merged back into the mainline, it's very likely to have duplicate ID values, which not only won't be warned about by the VCS but need to be resolved manually.

(Yes, I keep my character files under version control. I recently used git bisect to find out exactly when a particular skill was acquired.)

(More generally, GCA should not be the only tool that can read GCA files; a more standardised format like XML/JSON/YAML would make life much easier for support software.)
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:55 PM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: ID values in GCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
This is a mildly obscure feature request for GCA5.

If the saved character files use ID values as the ones in GCA4 do, could they be globally unique rather than sequential?

I ask because the use of sequential values makes merges harder. If a character has been branched and that branch is then to be merged back into the mainline, it's very likely to have duplicate ID values, which not only won't be warned about by the VCS but need to be resolved manually.
Are you looking for real GUIDs, or more like IDs that are unique for your installation of GCA, where it could still use integer values? GUIDs would require a much more extensive volume of work than just switching the ID provider.

Obviously, I never considered this kind of branching and merging.

Quote:
(More generally, GCA should not be the only tool that can read GCA files; a more standardised format like XML/JSON/YAML would make life much easier for support software.)
I totally agree about that. GCA5 characters are XML.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:21 PM   #3
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
Are you looking for real GUIDs, or more like IDs that are unique for your installation of GCA, where it could still use integer values? GUIDs would require a much more extensive volume of work than just switching the ID provider.
Within the installation is plenty - the trick is that if I start with a file version A and add something to it, the ID which that something gets shouldn't be the same as if I start again with file version A and add a different something to it. That way I can bring them back together later without having to renumber one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
Obviously, I never considered this kind of branching and merging.
I will readily admit that this is pretty niche even for GCA users. :-)
Old 03-09-2015, 01:34 PM   #4
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Within the installation is plenty - the trick is that if I start with a file version A and add something to it, the ID which that something gets shouldn't be the same as if I start again with file version A and add a different something to it. That way I can bring them back together later without having to renumber one of them.
That should be doable. I'll add it to my list, and take a look at it when I get a chance.

Armin
Old 03-10-2015, 03:10 AM   #5
RogerBW

Thanks. :-)

Tags
gca5