Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-27-2022, 06:31 PM   #1
Plane

Default crunch/dice for emotional changes in posture?

I realize a lot of this might be fluff that players decide on to express how they think their character would react in terms of physical gestures, but this actually made me wonder if we could somehow math out the mechanics of what causes people to do things like fall to their knees in anguish from extreme sadness.

Usually lowering standing>kneeling is a big change you'd avoid in a dangerous situation, so being forced into it by fear checks or other trauma would be something you're forced to do because of environmental stimulae.

Example in the recent Amphibia episode when Anne's pet is kidnapped and she's helpless to stop it = https://youtu.be/snzR-tkM5cg

I know there's stuff like Mental Stun but that doesn't really cause a Change Posture. There's no actual tactical reason to do this.

As best I can figure people react this way as a means of energy conservation (takes more energy to stand?) or to increase their sense of balance/safety (easier to avoid tipping sideways if you're kneeling, or if you do fall it's a lower distance to the ground).

So is this in a way that if you're overcome with emotion you begin to 'fall' and a partially-successful "Breakfall" might leave you Kneeling instead of crouching (complete success) or lying (complete failure) ?

I have some trouble evaluating when stuff like this ought to happen in a situation so being able to guide it somehow with Will/DX rolls would be interesting.

I don't think this is due to FP loss because she doesn't seem that wobbly/fatigued. It's like when you instinctively go into a guarded position based on trauma somehow, but obviously not as extreme as crouching into a fetal ball or turtling up w/ hands over face.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 06:50 PM   #2
Icelander

Default Re: crunch/dice for emotional changes in posture?

Fright Checks.

When failed, will cause all sorts of less than optimal behaviour. In general, any sort of about-equivalent tactical behaviour can be roleplayed.
Old 04-28-2022, 01:43 AM   #3
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Fright Checks.
When failed, will cause all sorts of less than optimal behaviour. In general, any sort of about-equivalent tactical behaviour can be roleplayed.
So looking at B362, perhaps losing 1d FP (result 14/15) might somehow result in a loss of posture, sort of like how if you get fatigued sprinting you might collapse at the end of a race.

B426's acting at zero fatigue causes a 'collapse' if you fail your will roll (incapacitated) which I guess leaves some picture of falling down into a prone position (ouch)

So falling merely to your knees could be a lesser version of this, maybe if we consider a breakfall something you just do instinctively so it doesn't violate the "do nothing" command?
Old 04-28-2022, 03:51 AM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

See "Not Just Stunned" Horror p. 141, especially "Stun is Fun".
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 02:51 PM   #5
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
See "Not Just Stunned" Horror p. 141, especially "Stun is Fun".
The complete control over various reactions doesn't seem too gritty though, something like "you're forced to your knees by the stress" is a lot higher-stakes.

But at the same time the random aspect would make it less about GM fiat

Tags
change posture, fright check, kneeling, mental stun, standing