Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-03-2018, 11:44 AM   #31
Steamwitch

Default Re: New to GURPS, Making sense of suplements for Zombie Apocalypse.

Well it indeed looks like I have my work cut out for me.

Last question while I am digesting all these rules. Im looking over Hex movement. Comeing from DnD im used to squares, or in wargames gridless.

I would like to do Gridless, but I do not know if it would be worse than Hex.
Steamwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:55 PM   #32
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamwitch View Post
Well it indeed looks like I have my work cut out for me.

Last question while I am digesting all these rules. Im looking over Hex movement. Comeing from DnD im used to squares, or in wargames gridless.

A lot of us do gridless. Its more abstract and you might want a ruler to figure range but just eyeballing it has worked for me in the past.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:03 PM   #33
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Okay... good because hex is better.

Quote:
"Worse"? In what way are grids bad? We might be able to assuage fears or correct misconceptions.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:43 PM   #34
OldSam

Quote:
Last question while I am digesting all these rules. Im looking over Hex movement. ...
Gridless works well, as long as your players feel ok with some more abstract descriptions at times. Also don't hesitate to mix hex grid and gridless at times if it pleases you, e.g. using the grid only for important and more dangerous "end fights", where you want all details, miniatures and everything.

One last recommendation to "digesting" the rules: Do not eat too much at once! ;)

...many people made the experience that too many rules at once can overwhelm and confuse new players and new GM's. All the optional rules really can be used at will, <optional>, use that to your advantage and only include more addons/rules after some time, when you are familiar with what you already got! And most important: Have fun... :)

Last edited by OldSam; 08-05-2018 at 05:47 PM.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:00 PM   #35
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
One last recommendation to "digesting" the rules: Do not eat too much at once! ;)
Yes, this is a great point.

In fact, you may want to get an introductory adventure started with just the two Basic Set books.

For example, with Campaigns you can get:
  • The feel of fighting zombies with the advantage Injury Tolerance (Unliving). Bullets and thrusting swords are not going to be as effective as axes, clubs, and flamethrowers.
  • Basic fatigue rules that cover starvation, foraging for food, and missed sleep.

Another good resource PDF that is an easy read to delve into is, of course, How to Be a GURPS GM.
Besides conveying enthusiasm for GURPS, its a great instructional on how to adjust complexity to your needs.

Furthermore, the author seems to be an advocate of running sample combats for fun. This is a great way to engage your group early. Throw some zombies at your player characters on a hex grid to test out and learn the core combat encounters. Find out what you all like about an actual engagement.

Quote:
As my group and I are uninitiated in GURPS is there anything extra i may need to start? I'm a bit skeptical i will only need 3d6 on hand for example.
Not to be overlooked are the notes, enemies, and cheat sheets you will inevitably need. There is some work to be done to distill the most important rules into your own physical or electronic reference.

GURPS for Dummies came out just following the introduction of the 4th Edition rules. It is interesting for the sections in which the authors tried to address one way to cope with the administration of play using custom spreadsheets for example.

Quote:
In fact, it seems as if firearm combat at range almost requires gridless for the distances involved. Of course, the real zombie action happens up close.

But I have been curious how the seasoned players here like to portray ranged shooting combat. Obviously, you can do it abstractly by narration, but does anyone prefer to use hexes at different scales than 1 yard?

Last edited by Tom H.; 08-05-2018 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Formatting
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:12 PM   #36
OldSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
In fact, it seems as if firearm combat at range almost requires gridless for the distances involved.
Depends on your table ;)

There are different solutions anyway.

E.g. you could use the more action style/narrative solution from GURPS Action 2, where the distances are only roughly classified like Short, Medium etc., no hex grids.

...or use the "range ruler" with just some miniatures and obstacles on the table even without grid, it's a nice and very fast measurement tool letting you just "see" the skill modifiers immediately. http://www.warehouse23.com/products/gurps-range-ruler

--

For new player usually the "combat cards" are a valuable aid to learn the basics of tactical combat in the beginning.

Last edited by OldSam; 08-06-2018 at 03:16 PM.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
introductions to gurps, zombies