Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-28-2016, 03:30 AM   #61
warellis

Default Re: [UT/SS] 4e Star Trek Weapons and Effective TL?

Don't we also see some sort of ablative vest worn by Starfleet soldiers in DS9? In the Siege of AR-558 episode?

EDIT: Found it:http://i.imgur.com/F3kdwBV.jpg

Someone said this was some sort of ablative padded clothing or something, like it could protect some against Jem'hadar weapons. Enough to prevent the anti-coagulants in their weapons from bleeding you out.
warellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:31 AM   #62
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by borithan View Post
Whatever the case is, during most of TNG photon torpedos do seem to be the "big stick" of the Starfleet armoury. Next Gen tends to only use them when they just want to blow **** up quickly, rather than when they want to be more precise or careful (target specific systems etc), for which they use phasers. This kind of.. trails off with DS9 and Voyager. DS9 does have some senses of it earlier on, but by the time the Defiant is introduced it flings torpedos around like they are going out of style, and their "phaser cannons" seem to be just as blasty as the torpedos. Voyager... claims to have a limited supply of the weapons, and then just forgets it as some point and spams them whenever appropriate.
Quantum Torpedoes are just Photon Torpedoes with a better armor divisor. Voyager was nice enough to show what happens when a dud missile is fired at you, which is to say the missile itself punches right through your shields and into the hull of the ship, which kind of ruins your day.

And the total missile count fired by Voyager has been checked. Since they liberated the quantum (and phasic!) torpedoes from enemy vessels and figured out how to get the replicators to make at least some of the parts, they actually didn't go too crazy on the missiles.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:07 AM   #63
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by borithan View Post

I can't remember where I got it from, but I understood that disruptors use anti-matter somehow. Now, I think it is meant to be in the production of the energy required for the weapon, rather than them actually using anti-matter in the attack.

That's the technobabble from the DecipherTrek books. I never saw it anywhere else and it won't make sense in any Gurps terms.

If you were to use other technobabble the Klingon disruptor pistols from Season 1 of TOS were said to be sonic while the different looking models from Season 2 were microwave. The sonic models were seen elsewhere and presumably the Klingons sold them widely outside the Federation.

Klingon ship-mounted beam weapons were said to be microwave-based from the beginning.

The Gorn on-planet "artillery" from Arena was described as sonic also.

You could use the Sonic Screamer pistols from UT though you should probably change ROF to 10. Screamers aren't covered in the article in Pyramid 3/37 but generally such a change would double price without changing other stats. It's a pretty effective weapon if you do this.

Beware the 70lb Tactical Screamer. You can dig tunnels with one.

In 3e material microwave weapons were called "disruptors" but 4e does not seem to believe in lethal microwave weapons (lwcamp doesn't seem to either). If you wanted to add them you could use laser stats but double metallic DR. Oddly such a weapon should be eye-safe which no UT laser before the X-ray types is. In that way it'd be more civilized than lasers.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:34 PM   #64
lwcamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
In 3e material microwave weapons were called "disruptors" but 4e does not seem to believe in lethal microwave weapons (lwcamp doesn't seem to either).
Yeah, but that's being realistic. Anyone caught being realistic in a Star Trek game will be summarily marched at phaser-point to the transporter room and beamed out into space.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:10 AM   #65
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
Yeah, but that's being realistic. Anyone caught being realistic in a Star Trek game will be summarily marched at phaser-point to the transporter room and beamed out into space.

Luke
And the transporter will then explode and set the offender and his executioner out-of-phase with the rest of the group, unable to touch or be seen by anyone else except each other, walk through walls, etc., while being simultaneously affected by the artigrav plating and still able to see everyone else. ;) (fun episode)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:14 AM   #66
Phantasm

That said, if I was to add a "Tunable" modifier to the cost of a weapon (which would add "split-beam", "cone", and dial-a-yield damage settings to the phaser), should that be +100% to the cost like Omniblaster, or some other price? I can see it anywhere from +50% to +150%, actually; I'm angling toward +50%, with the omniblaster setting for stun settings being a distinct cost modifier.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:25 PM   #67
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
That said, if I was to add a "Tunable" modifier to the cost of a weapon (which would add "split-beam", "cone", and dial-a-yield damage settings to the phaser), should that be +100% to the cost like Omniblaster, or some other price? I can see it anywhere from +50% to +150%, actually; I'm angling toward +50%, with the omniblaster setting for stun settings being a distinct cost modifier.
I go +50% to cost for variable settings in my phasers. I am also interested in an official source for the increased cost for making a weapon tunable.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
star trek, star trek spaceships, ultra-tech