Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-18-2014, 12:36 AM   #21
Tomsdad

Default Re: Martial Arts training armor for a combat skill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post

I can one arm curl 60 pounds, am the second strongest person I've met in my limited personal experience, yet according to many here qualify for ST 10 only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post

I don't know of any rules for one arm curls, but if we call that a 2 second one-handed lift, then that gives you a BL of 30 lbs, or a ST of about 12 or 13, somewhere between "above average" and "exceptional." Sounds about right based on your self-description of 2nd strongest person you've met!
OK first of all it's an overhead lift*, on handed = BL, are you lifting 60lb over your hard with a curl or are these the normal standing bicep curls, weight up to shoulder and down to thigh? or sitting curls? or even tricep curls

Thing is can you do 60lb one arm curls from practice and doing lots of weights, you probable qualify for some king of arm/lift St, and lift skill in there.

Can you do it all day with out effort, or are you using some extra effort in there (even if it's not 1 FP per curl)?

Are you know for general strength or your ability to do 60lb arm curls?

and so on, and so on.

I.e even in GURPS that simplifies this (and isn't really designed to model going to the gym or working out) it's not just a case of Feat X = Stat of Y.

Not saying your not above average ST of course, and if you're known for your general strength in you circle you're probably not ST10.

*pg15

Last edited by Tomsdad; 12-18-2014 at 12:39 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:05 AM   #22
Flyndaran
Untagged

I really want to continue this side issue, because who doesn't love talking about themselves? Ha. But I'll resist the urge to further derail this thread.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:27 AM   #23
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I really want to continue this side issue, because who doesn't love talking about themselves? Ha. But I'll resist the urge to further derail this thread.
Oh I can't lie, about 5 seconds after I read you talking about it I ran to check if I could lift 60lb one handed above my head!

I can, but blimey I couldn't do it if often!

Oh I'm so out of shape at moment ;-0
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:45 AM   #24
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

You don't have to be that physically fit to be in the military, though combat types and those who are doing lots of training with the combat types are more fit that ST 10 or HT 10.

I'm personally of the opinion that one's attributes shouldn't be considered to be one value that's unchanging throughout one's life, or even over the span of a few years, or even months. An NFL lineman can be super huge, stuck in a refugee camp and if he survives, he won't be big, and will be extremely unhealthy. Similarly, it seems like a significant amount of your balance and body awareness can be trained.

This is actually why I like a large value of "realistic" attribute levels. Pegging "realistic" characters to a very narrow band of attribute levels is particularly encumbering for determining realistic abilities. If DX 15+ breaks the game, then it's better to fix that than just not allow DX 15+. But that's also another thread.

But yeah, realistic combat training shouldn't be jump kicking people in the face. That's too likely to result in real injury for both participants. To properly train for combat, you want to be training for combat, which is unpredictable. In an actual fight, you might grab one guy and put him in a headlock while his buddy shanks you with a screwdriver, icepick or a plain old fashioned knife. Or he just punches you in the back of the head. Then you end up on the ground while two people kick you in the head.

Realistic training programs should focus on athletics(you need to be fit and well balanced to fight effectively) and endurance training, as well as light contact sparring and supervised grappling. If body armor is to be expected and common, then you use the armor when you fight for handholds and hard surface parries, and you probably don't train to put your fist into people's faces. You probably train to disarm them, put them on the ground or in some sort of hold or lock, then dispatch them with a secondary weapon of some sort.

Actually full contact, full on combat training is probably heavily restricted. To get close to it, you want to make your troops march(a rapid march, too) to get their blood and adrenaline flowing, then you run them through drills. Even light contact sparring is effective combat training if it involves realistic and unpredictable twists. Two on one drills, corner drillers, attack armed drills. And extensive coaching and instruction.

But not so much jump kicking people in the head.

Tags
armor, combat sport, martial art, martial artist, training