Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 12-14-2010, 05:48 PM   #21
JCD

Default Re: Servant Level WTF?

Sorry, I was unclear.

An old or knowledgable servant who is mistreated and makes a modified will roll can really mess up his master's world. Betrayal always hurts bad.

Last edited by JCD; 12-14-2010 at 05:59 PM.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:33 PM   #22
Andygal

yeah. Even a human servant can mess you up pretty bad, by say, figuring out where the nearest enemy tether is, and tipping off a team of Malakim to come ruin your day and your plans.

Also witness the bit in the Corporeal Player's guide, with the Hellsworn who decided there was something he cared about more then his own life, and foiled his master's nuclear plot.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #23
PenitentDemon

I have the book ...Liber Servitorium now.

a few questions about my own game now.

First is it probaly safe to say that "Mission specific" Vessels, or roles, will be granted by archangels/Demon princes ... "Halter Gratis" (e.g. if they NEED an agent, as a student or teacher at a school, in a nursing home, a prison, etc)

Secondly, I know that strictly speaking I CAN do whatever I want, but it discourages allowing young angels or relievers to have servants.

I find it hard to imagine even a reliever, not being able to if it wants, to Gain the loyalty of a small animal, or possibly a 4 force human. (and yes Im thinking IN PLAY)

Finally... For games Where missions tend to go indefinitely, (e.g. beyond 3 or 4 sessions?) is it in your opinion , acceptable to just have a superior show up, to get reports, and if applicable, give out rewards or penaltys.

(My current game is solo me and a Yvesian Reliever, whos currently, attending a public school thats debating a stricter dress code POSSIBLY Uniforms, and shes trying to get the student body to see this as a positive thing, rather then listen to ANOTHER student, who insists this is "Taking away our freedom, forcing us to conform!" a student who also has helped several other classmates out of problems, everything from bullys, to tests, but wants a promise of a favor latter. Im sure you get the picture.

Anyway the reliever got a 6 check digit on a reaction roll, to someone she just saved im thinking of steps she could take to tie him to her.
PenitentDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:33 PM   #24
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenitentDemon View Post
First is it probaly safe to say that "Mission specific" Vessels, or roles, will be granted by archangels/Demon princes ... "Halter Gratis" (e.g. if they NEED an agent, as a student or teacher at a school, in a nursing home, a prison, etc)
Only a fool would send a Servitor on a mission without giving that Servitor the tools needed to complete that mission - and none of the Superiors (save perhaps Saminga) is a fool.

Lilith might say the demon owes her a favor in exchange for the new Vessel, but she'd grant the Vessel to the demon. The other Superiors might or might not make the Vessel a gift to the Servitor.

Quote:
Secondly, I know that strictly speaking I CAN do whatever I want, but it discourages allowing young angels or relievers to have servants.

I find it hard to imagine even a reliever, not being able to if it wants, to Gain the loyalty of a small animal, or possibly a 4 force human. (and yes Im thinking IN PLAY)
In play (at least, in my game), anything goes - but it has to be justified by good roleplaying, game events, or both.

Quote:
Finally... For games Where missions tend to go indefinitely, (e.g. beyond 3 or 4 sessions?) is it in your opinion , acceptable to just have a superior show up, to get reports, and if applicable, give out rewards or penaltys.
Sure, why not? Dominic and Asmodeus do this as a matter of course, and there's no reason why the other Superiors wouldn't copy a technique that works.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:16 PM   #25
PenitentDemon

Another question on the "Servants issue"

Any ideas what a celestial can do if he wants to try ammelliorating a Servants Social or Employment problems?

As a Balseraph is the only Celestial whos resonance, would be TOO useful...

"No he hasnt missed 3 shifts in the last month, thats an ugly rumor spread by his supervisor, because he sees him as a threat, you should fire him"

(they'd only help if their servants job was part of why they were useful, and replacing them would be more trouble then it was worth in most cases though)

A Lilims might be applicable but if the servants job is police officer, or Teacher or Secretary, It might be the least bit TRICKY... finding the right person to bribe.

(Any idea how other celestials could address the issue?

Servitors, of Nybass, Mammon, and Marc will just (unless the servants an agent of some kind), if they care about the servant, shrug and say "oh I'll give you some kind of "official job on paper" working for this or that company, with better wages then your last job... call in and quit."

Second... do you think that kind of help, would justify increasing the servants resources level.
PenitentDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:05 AM   #26
Azel

Remember, the keyword of Servitude is not Loyalty, but Obedience. Servants can be made to OBEY. Young celestials and relievers rarely have the Superior support, or the outright Will War strength, to get Symphonically Accepted Servitude from another. It's not a good relationship thing, or even a long-term experience thing, but a direct you-are-now-my-@#$%# thing. Please play it up accordingly. :)

About a master trying to help his Servant's social problems? Well, each word has its own attitude about that. Play that up. I think you already got the gist of what to do. But also don't make it too easy. Part of the fun is how Servants can be jerked around (and figuring out how far is too far), or how Celestial masters can muck things up 'cuz they don't *really* understand. i.e. Having a Samingan master can easily leave a trail of dead bodies in an effort to help. But those bodies could be a bigger problem. How does the Servant respond then?
Azel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:01 AM   #27
JCD

First off, simply having access to controlled use of Essence is quite the thing. When it comes to a promotion interview, etc, dropping all your Essence on the reaction roll can do a long way. Ditto gambling, etc.

Generally, a Celestial can do quite a lot.

A Seraph can tell you what if what your boss/girlfriend/friend is saying is True.

A man with a Cherub need not worry about what neighborhood he's in and chicks dig people with tight friends.

Elohim can help with exact advice on how to manipulate anyone emotionally.

Malakim can help you find the weasel friend

Mercurians can get you the dirty on all the relationships in the office and which lever to press.

Bels you covered.

Djinn don't care. Sorry

Calabim can make sure that any of your opponents suffer.

Habbalah can ensure you have a REALLY fun date!

Shedim are happy to ruin any of your opponents

Lilim can use her web of favors to get you offers and dates you normally wouldn't get.

Impudites: If you have an Impudite, you don't NEED any other date...and you'll be deliciously tired all the time.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
resources, servants