Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #21
Figleaf23
Banned

Default Re: Teleport-walking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Have a look at Horror page 20

Quote:
In every slasher movie, there’s the moment when the camera looks away – and the killer is gone! He’s slipped into the closet, or the air vent, or the shed, seemingly without ever opening the door. Model this as follows:

Ghostly Movement: Warp (Accessibility, Only if unobserved, -20%; Accessibility, Only places you could walk/climb to, given time, -20%; Extra Carrying Capacity, Medium, +20%; Range Limit, -50%) [30].

Notes: Requires a Move maneuver in combat. You can get anywhere within Move yards, provided that nobody is looking and that you could have gotten there “the hard way,” given sufficient time. For example, you could move from the floor of an office into the heating vent above you, with the grate closed behind you, in a second. As a special effect, any mundane requirements for getting from A to B replace Warp’s usual success roll, and Warp fails if you can’t meet them; e.g., if you would need a Lockpicking roll, you must know Lockpicking, while if you would have to unscrew a bolt, you require a wrench. The GM decides whether this is “actual” Warp, some sort of super-speed, or simply a special effect of being a psycho killer. 30 points.
It's odd that the 'Requires a Move' isn't actually priced in the build.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #22
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
It's odd that the 'Requires a Move' isn't actually priced in the build.
Warp is weird in that it doesn't normally require a maneuver in the first place but allows Concentrate to eliminate the penalty, in this case there's no roll at all unless you have to to pick a lock or something. Presumably these things balance out.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:48 AM   #23
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Warp is weird in that it doesn't normally require a maneuver in the first place but allows Concentrate to eliminate the penalty, in this case there's no roll at all unless you have to to pick a lock or something. Presumably these things balance out.
Hm. It's a bit of a strange hybrid of a traditional power build and a new ability.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:33 PM   #24
B9anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
I'd just keep it simple and call this Vision-Based, -20%.
probably needs to be combined with a range limitation, something along the lines of whatever the arbitrary consensus is on distance to the horizon. Make it a feature that it can vary depending on altitude.

I'd say it needs that because a person can take the range limitation and go there without being able to see it and is obviously less limited than someone who has to see it within that range.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:46 AM   #25
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by B9anders View Post
probably needs to be combined with a range limitation, something along the lines of whatever the arbitrary consensus is on distance to the horizon. Make it a feature that it can vary depending on altitude.
It's on a power with a range limit of 5 yards. The horizon isn't exactly an issue :)

Regardless, if you can't see over the horizon, you can't teleport there if you have to see your target. You don't need a maximum range limit for that, that's what line of sight limitations are for in the first place.

However, IF you can see the spot on the moon that you want to teleport to clearly enough you could teleport there. Not that there are many people who can see that far, it's clearly one of the reasons it's a limitation. But if you sunk the points into Telescopic Vision until you could resolve a suitable destination on the moon, you could teleport the approximately 384 400 km to get there. It's only -10 to get there.

And then you'd be in spaaaaaaaaaace.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:25 AM   #26
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Flight doesn't take limitations to slow it down - cannonically you buy down your Flight Move at -2 per Move. There is a point where this turns totally pear-shaped, and if I had my druthers, 5th ed will patch that problem by making reduced Flight Move a limitation like you thought it was :)
So, I was totally wrong. Slower flight is not a disadvantage, it IS a limitation - introduced in Psionic Powers, page 14.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:16 AM   #27
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
So, I was totally wrong. Slower flight is not a disadvantage, it IS a limitation - introduced in Psionic Powers, page 14.
It's both:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic page 18
If you have Flight (p. 56), air Move equals Basic Speed X 2 (not Basic Move X 2). You can increase air Move directly for 2 points per yard/second, or reduce it for -2 points per yard/second.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:24 AM   #28
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
We realy need a compilation of the modifiers that are scatered over the books. I hope that one of the new Power Ups books is such thing. If not, then they can already start working on Power Ups 6 xD
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #29
Not another shrubbery

Default [OT]Book of Modifiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
We realy need a compilation of the modifiers that are scatered over the books. I hope that one of the new Power Ups books is such thing. If not, then they can already start working on Power Ups 6 xD
A mere compilation doesn't seem like it would be a good fit for the series... it should (as I think you have noted before) have a large dose of new mods as well.

You have expressed interest in such a work a couple of times, and you have been published... Have you thought about writing something up as a proposal?
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #30
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default Re: [OT]Book of Modifiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
You have expressed interest in such a work a couple of times, and you have been published... Have you thought about writing something up as a proposal?
Once we get confirmation that it isn't Power Ups 4 or 5 (and I find it likely), I might.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghostly movement, powers, teleportation, warp