Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-28-2021, 06:42 AM   #11
Shostak

Default Re: TFT Illustrations, Old and New

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzmcgwire View Post
Great article.
Thanks to both you and Rob for your kind words. Glad you enjoyed the article!
Quote:
The Thorsz, Dhallak m’Thorsz Carn, in particularm looks like Liam Neeson and more like a nervous King John I than a Saladin.
I can see that, but I get more of a Bill Nighy vibe from the Thorsz as seen on Ardonirane. The Death Test version looks a bit more like David Bradley's Walder Frey from GoT.

A question for everyone: What's your favorite TFT illustration?
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 04:25 PM   #12
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Hmm. I have many favorites, which tend to be the more realistic-looking original ones, like the original interior ITL/AM/AW/TL/DT pictures. If I had to pick one, it might either be the one with the swordsman facing the gargoyle in original ITL, the wizard on the back of original Wizard, or the two swordsmen in original Melee, one with a sword going through the other in a way that expresses the lethality of the game.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 05:27 PM   #13
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Hmm. I have many favorites, which tend to be the more realistic-looking original ones, like the original interior ITL/AM/AW/TL/DT pictures. If I had to pick one, it might either be the one with the swordsman facing the gargoyle in original ITL, the wizard on the back of original Wizard, or the two swordsmen in original Melee, one with a sword going through the other in a way that expresses the lethality of the game.
Oh, man! That last one you mention was such an arresting image--shocking, gory, and transporting one right onto the sand of the gladiator pit! I don't recall ever seeing a signature by that one. Was that one of Danforth's do you know? Something about the line quality makes me think so. After drawing a copy of that image, I got a stern talking to by one of the nuns at my school who thought I should confine myself to less gruesome. (So then I turned my artistic talents to penciling Phoenix and Storm from the X-Men all over my notebooks inside and out until I think she was happy to have me return to swordsmen.)

I never saw the original TL. Were those also by Roger Philips?
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:27 AM   #14
Skarg

Heh, my art teacher wasn't a nun, but she eventually tried to get us to stop making art about war and violence, at least for her class assignments...

I'm not sure if that one is Pat Hidy or Liz Danforth.

The TL art is by Robert Phillips, and in much the same style as the ITL/AM/AW art.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:42 PM   #15
Oneiros

I enjoyed the article as well.

I also want to say, I really enjoy and appreciate, in addition to her book illustrations, the graphic, stylized nature of Liz Danforth's counter artwork. Many other illustrations for tokens I've seen are simply too busy when presented at counter scale, making them often harder to identify from across the table.

Last edited by Oneiros; 07-12-2021 at 02:57 PM.
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 06:09 AM   #16
RobW

Yes those counters are so easy to read. And the original Wizard counters, especially the dragons.

In fact, flipping through the old books thinking about Shostak's question (favourite illustrations), in some ways my favourite is actually this diagram from the original Wizard :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e5pb77ss0i...05.00.png?dl=0

There's an updated version on p 106 of TFT legacy, but I prefer this one, maybe that's just nostalgia. The counter art is so well done, evocative yet readable. And the placement of this art on the hex grid, hinting at all the combat possibilities, for me brings together so much I enjoy about TFT.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 04:42 PM   #17
JohnPaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
I'd say it have to be the pictures of Orcs. Mr Hidy pictures left a huge impression for me in gaming art. The black and white drawings were something I love even to this day.

ITL p49 of the orc drawing his sword, AM p 2 of the orc and human fight, AW p 36 of the orc guards. I also very much appreciated the original ITL covers, the surrounded group, but with the orcs kind-of milling about unsure of whether to attack or not. I like that a few are facing the 'camera'.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 08:27 AM   #18
hcobb

I always thought the first edition and legacy ITL covers were a group of hobgoblins engaging the wizard's meatshields.

Tags
art, artists, blog, microgame, review