Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-16-2021, 05:31 PM   #251
Rupert

Default Re: Independent Income at later TL stages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
The character point doesn't give you or improve your free time. It gives you cash. That's all it does. That's all it's supposed to do. If you spend that cash on weapons for adventuring, you haven't earned any free time. It's a character point for monthly cash.
So why does it scale in a completely different way from 'Trading Points for Cash', which is also intended as a way for characters to buy money with points?
Quote:
The question is a false dichotomy. Jobs are cash-for-work; Independent Income is cash-for-no-work. You have to have prerequisites and job rolls to have a job; you have to spend character points for Independent Income.
Note that those prerequisites might cost points, and the skills for the job roll definitely cost points.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:46 PM   #252
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
So why does it scale in a completely different way from 'Trading Points for Cash', which is also intended as a way for characters to buy money with points?
Trading points for cash is basically punitive. For whatever reason, it seems the designers wanted it to be something no-one in their right mind would want to do. Somewhere on the forum ( I will try to find it) is a much better model for it that assigns a money/point value based on present value calculations and the anticipated length of the campaign.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:53 PM   #253
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Trading points for cash is basically punitive. For whatever reason, it seems the designers wanted it to be something no-one in their right mind would want to do. Somewhere on the forum ( I will try to find it) is a much better model for it that assigns a money/point value based on present value calculations and the anticipated length of the campaign.
There's as many arguments for II being mispriced; after all, it's worse than points for cash in a campaign that lasts less than 10 months (including time value of money in a RPG, probably more like a year or two).
Old 06-16-2021, 11:18 PM   #254
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
There's as many arguments for II being mispriced; after all, it's worse than points for cash in a campaign that lasts less than 10 months (including time value of money in a RPG, probably more like a year or two).
Well, if you're of Average Wealth. II scales with Wealth, Points for Cash does not, so its value rises rapidly for high Wealth characters.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:25 PM   #255
Anthony

Quote:
Well, if you're of Average Wealth. II scales with Wealth, Points for Cash does not, so its value rises rapidly for high Wealth characters.
Oh, I failed to notice that stupidity.
Old 06-17-2021, 12:28 AM   #256
Polydamas

Quote:
For people of Average (and under) Wealth, living at an appropriate Status, spending money should be quite limited. We're talking about the range where, even if not living paycheck to paycheck, people have to choose between expensive hobbies and savings.
That really really depends. In many societies, people spend their young adulthood gathering resources to get married (high savings rate), then marry and have children (low or negative savings rate) and then have further fluctuations. In Anglo countries today, it is often people over 50 who have a lot of disposable income. Someone of Average wealth with no dependents should have a significant amount of disposable income.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:03 AM   #257
Donny Brook

Quote:
I wonder if there are others you might have overlooked.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:21 AM   #258
Varyon

Quote:
I believe it's meant to allow Dead Broke characters and the like to start play with some gear. Essentially, Points for Cash is more an option for characters below Average Wealth; it has some limited utility for those with Average Wealth, but is largely useless beyond that (for Comfortable, the same points in II would match it in only 5 months, for Wealthy in two months, and for anything higher you exceed Points for Cash with the first II payout - although the GM may not have that happen until a full month has passed in-game, making Points for Cash's poor exchange rate essentially an "immediate gratification tax"). As I said before, however, I'm not a fan of Points for Cash; I'm currently considering an option that would let characters start with additional funds but being in debt (not as a Disadvantage, but actually having what amounts to a monetary loan that has interest and needs to be paid off), but will probably start a new thread for that once I have a jumping-off point.
Old 06-17-2021, 10:09 AM   #259
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
I wonder if there are others you might have overlooked.
I'm sure there are. Trading points for cash wouldn't be a very good deal even if it scaled with wealth level, it would just never be a good deal instead of being a way to get points for low wealth without suffering any penalties (depending on campaign details).
Old 08-11-2023, 04:57 AM   #260
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
If you have assets worth MORE than 300,000,000 at the start of your character creation - then as a character, you need to pay more points for what your assets are really worth no?
Settled characters already have more assets than the value of 80% of Starting Wealth would be. My interpretation is that 80% is what you could hope to get if you had to liquidate your lifestyle in a hurry. Otherwise TL8 Starting Wealth clearly can't pay for the Status 0 or 1 accoutrements from the CoL table, even though income certainly supports either.

Quote:
Point is, turning such a performing asset into cash means that it is an asset that should have been covered under the original rules of 80% starting wealth is non-adventuring assets.
Sure some contemporary lifestyles absolutely include financial assets in what CoL gets you. There are independent incomes that wouldn't be liquidatable assets like this (I'm a disabled combat vet, I can't sell my VA benefits even if I wanted to).

Notably though, if you have Independent Income and liquidate your assets to become a nomadic character, you don't lose II, so it's separate. Having II that depends on paying CoL for your Status probably should get a limitation to reflect this.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cyberpunk, independent income