Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-07-2017, 09:28 PM   #1
DannyBoy

Default Usefulness of Basic Set PDF's?

Hello,

I'm new to GURPS and was going to buy the Basic Set. Per my nature, I was looking for the best (legal) deal on the books and found that I can get the books for a much better price on Amazon than on Warehouse 23. There is one drawback, though--if I buy from Amazon, I will not recieve a PDF copy. So, my question is, is it worth the extra money ($10 on Characters, $5 on Campaigns) to get the PDF as well as the print book?
DannyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:34 PM   #2
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Usefulness of Basic Set PDF's?

For me it was. Since I do most of game work at a computer and it's faster to text search on pdfs.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:34 PM   #3
Refplace

Depends on your style. PDF is really handy if you have a phone or other device to read it at the game table. That quick search feature is very nice for finding a rule in a hurry.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:44 PM   #4
whswhs

How do you feel about being able to search a text on a tablet? Do you look things up enough so that it will save you time? Do you have the Basic Set so well memorized that you can find everything you need to look up without a search function?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:50 PM   #5
lordabdul

I personally love having both the PDFs and physical books. Like others said already, PDF has search, which comes in handy often, and I also often carry and use a tablet, so it was a no brainer.
lordabdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:05 PM   #6
Zarmonic

If you GURPS Character Sheet, and have your books as PDFs, you can now link inside the program to the page number reference of any trait on the sheet. I think that's pretty cool.
Zarmonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:31 PM   #7
JMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBoy View Post
Hello,

I'm new to GURPS and was going to buy the Basic Set. Per my nature, I was looking for the best (legal) deal on the books and found that I can get the books for a much better price on Amazon than on Warehouse 23. There is one drawback, though--if I buy from Amazon, I will not recieve a PDF copy. So, my question is, is it worth the extra money ($10 on Characters, $5 on Campaigns) to get the PDF as well as the print book?
Just to make sure you are making an informed decision, Warehouse 23 does not sell Basic (or any books that I know of) in a book and pdf bundle.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:58 PM   #8
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason View Post
Just to make sure you are making an informed decision, Warehouse 23 does not sell Basic (or any books that I know of) in a book and pdf bundle.
I was wondering about that but thought it might be a new thing, but just checked the store to be sure and dont see it as a bundle
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 08-08-2017, 01:35 AM   #9
Blind Mapmaker

While it did take me a while to get the PDFs, I have to say they are darn useful. Even if you have only a crappy old laptop it's probably lighter to lug around than any three GURPS harcovers and - depending on what you play - you probably need it anyway to read all the PDF-only supplements and Pyramids.

But if you're making up your own campaign world and plan on not buying anything but the two Basic sets you might be better off with just the Amazon offer. You won't have quick bookmarks, full-text search and copy & paste your most-used rules, but you'll have sturdy books that can withstand some abuse at the table.

One thing to consider: If you buy at Warehouse23, Steve Jackson Games will get a much better cut of the profit than from the Amazon sale. The way the RPG market is nowadays it's important to support the actual creators, but if you're really on a shoestring budget it's, of course, okay to shop around for the best deal. You might want to consider buying used copies from an online seller or brick-and-mortar store. Just make sure you get the second printing, the first printing had some faulty binding in some cases.

As others have pointed out, there's no discounted PDF and hardcover on Warehouse23 so be aware of that! You do save another $15 compared to the Amazon hardcover deal if you buy PDF, though.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:27 AM   #10
Refplace

Also buying PDF at W23 means you can download a new copy if you lose your originals say in a computer crash or something.
My GURPS Wiki entries