Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-24-2015, 09:57 AM   #1
Onkl

Default Rapid Strikes with Extra Attack

Hi guys

How would you price the ability to use rapid strikes mulitple times in a turn?

I think it would be suitable as an enhancement to Extra Attack or as a limitation for Altered Time Rate.

Cheers

Onkl
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:09 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Rapid Strikes with Extra Attack

Cosmic on your Extra Attack. When in doubt, it's probably a Cosmic.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:15 AM   #3
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkl View Post
Hi guys

How would you price the ability to use rapid strikes mulitple times in a turn?

I think it would be suitable as an enhancement to Extra Attack or as a limitation for Altered Time Rate.

Cheers

Onkl
??? Martial Arts has rules for multiple Rapid Strikes (GURPS Martial Arts, p. 127), basically, each additional attack is at -6 (or -3 if you have Trained by a Master or Weapon Master).

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:19 AM   #4
Anders

Optional Rule [1] - Extra Attacks from Martial Arts plus whatever Unusual Background you'd want to give the person. I'd suggest 10 or 15 points total.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:52 AM   #5
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
??? Martial Arts has rules for multiple Rapid Strikes (GURPS Martial Arts, p. 127), basically, each additional attack is at -6 (or -3 if you have Trained by a Master or Weapon Master).
I think they are looking for a Rules Exemption that lets them trade more than one attack for a rapid strike.

This is a question that your GM must address. Possible responses include a Rules Exemption Perk, Cosmic on the Extra Attack, or just plain "No".

I'd go with the Rules Exemption personally, but that's just me...

((Strangely enough, you are allowed to use multiple rapid strikes.. AND combine it with DWA! but only for thrown weapons.))
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:57 AM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
The intent might be to make it so you can rapid strike separately with each attack, so if you've got extra attacks 2 (3 attacks per turn), you could do a separate rapid strike with each of them for a total of 6 attacks.

Honestly, extra attacks is normally a bad deal, so I don't see a substantial problem here, but YMMV.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:07 AM   #7
trechriron

With 1 second combat turns, wouldn't 6 attacks bog things down on this player's turn? I see this more like grandstanding in combat. The selling point on 1 second combat turns for me is going around the table more frequently.

Also, I've played in games where the combat god unleashes pure doom and mops up before anyone else can act. It's boring for everyone else.

Frankly, as a GM I would be in the "hell no" camp. There's SO much more to playing a solid warrior than monopolizing table time.

What kind of warrior or character is this person trying to emulate? Maybe we could offer some suggestions outside 4 - 6 attacks per turn?
My Blog
trechriron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:10 AM   #8
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by trechriron View Post
With 1 second combat turns, wouldn't 6 attacks bog things down on this player's turn?
Yes, but that's a general problem with multiple attacks. TBH, I'd probably delete multiple attacks entirely and make it so rate of fire applies to melee as well as ranged.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:30 AM   #9
T.K.

Martial allows for "more than 2 attacks Rapid Strikes" with each additional attack being an extra -6 to everything.

Altered Time Rate affect extra attacks.

Why do you need anything besides what's in the rules?

Want more attacks coming from exceptional skill? Increase n of atks through Rapid Strike rules and soak the penalties with very high skill.

Want more attacks from supernatural ability, chi infusion, whatever it might be? Buy more Extra Attack levels.

Want extreme multi-action happening? Buy Altered Time Rate on top of Extra Attacks and/or Rapid Strike Martial Rules.

A simple example:

A fighter with 2 Extra Attacks (Thus attacking normally 3 times/turn) with Martial Rules for Rapid Strike going for 1 extra attack on its Rapid, thus making a Rapid with 3 attacks woul be attacking 5 times/turn.

Get ATR 1 and he's attacking 10 times/per other players/enemies turn.

Why do you, as a GM or even player, want or need ANYTHING attacking more then 10 times/turn!?!? (And I'm considering even absurd power levels of 2k points here)
T.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:34 AM   #10
Onkl

I gm the game where this has come up, my answer was a straight:"No!"

The game is high powered and cinematic in nature (we are now playing our 40th session, the characters are now close to 500 cp) and doesn't have a cap on how many rapid strikes you can make in one attack. So the player just upped the characters skill and with gunslinger/weapon master the can unleash a lot of fury.

The intention of my question was meant to be thought-experiment, it might also be appropriate for my WH40k game.

Cheers
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
altered time rate, combat, extra attack, rapid strikes