Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-10-2019, 04:11 PM   #41
ErhnamDJ

Default Re: DJ's Gaming Blog

Classic-Style Sanity rules for GURPS, Part 1

My blog.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:30 PM   #42
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
Nice, inspired me to post my own set which needed updating since GURPS Horror came out.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:41 PM   #43
ErhnamDJ

New Limitation: Requires Component

Expanding the use of Accessibility for this purpose.

Edit to add: Looks like Trigger already does what I'm looking for here. I don't know why I was thinking Accessibility is what you use. Also, it's not clear in Characters, but Trigger is intended to consume the item when the ability is used. So something to keep in mind. I do still think it's worth expanding those rules to allow for more customization.

My blog.

Last edited by ErhnamDJ; 05-30-2021 at 05:21 AM.
Old 05-30-2021, 06:12 AM   #44
bocephus

Quote:
New Limitation: Requires Component

Expanding the use of Accessibility for this purpose.

From your blog:
This is a limitation for when your ability requires the of a specific type of object every time it's used. The component gets used up and next time you have to provide a new one.

There are a bunch of ways to modify this (think of it as being like Gadget). Add each one that applies:
I like that you are putting your stuff out there, and its definitely gives people some things to think about. I don't agree with a lot of your stuff, but much of it I didn't really consider it till I was confronted with how you do it.

----------------------------------------
I like the idea of having a scale to give you something to "roll" against rarity but I don't really agree to your percentages.

Do you mean they are cumulative? as in Rarity "Rare" would be 30% or a cumulative 55% of all 4 categories within Rarity leading up to "Rare"? I assume you just mean take the number that's appropriate from each category.

No matter the answer to that I find that your values for legality are very low considering there is an active organization (presumably powerful enough to make and enforce Laws) working to prevent your access to this. Its not just that there is a rule against it, there is a rule or rules that prevent the purchase, sale, transport, storage, creation, advertisement, or profit from said product. Every facet of this item is

To say that an illegal item/product/substance is only 20% more difficult to find than something legal, advertised, sold to the public is a crazy low difficulty level to procure. Yes I get that these kind of things are often part of the cinema of RPG, but come on... 20%... If Joe public wanted to buy Anthrax it would only be 20% harder to locate a seller than aspirin?

I like the idea of having a scale to give you something to "roll" against rarity but I don't really agree to your percentages. I think the max cumulative number should be 99% or 100% modified by relevant skills in some way to give PCs a chance to find something not plot driven. In an RPG there should always be that 1 in 100 chance that the PCs stumble on info about someone selling the Highly Illegal, Dangerous, Rare, Difficult to transport "Mcguffin" they would like to make Planning, living, leveling easier. In reality this doesnt work of course, but game mechanics wise there should be a simple number for the GM and the players to have at hand.

-------------------------------
Also I dont think "Expense" should be part of this list. What a shop charges for it has nothing to do with how hard it is for PCs to locate a shop that has it. Sure a super expensive fruit with a relative shelf life may influence availability but not to the point that the cost of the item alone should have more to do with availability than Rarity, Danger, Legality, and transport. In fact the Expense of the items would probably be an inverse multiplier based on all these other factors.

Example a Vial of Anthrax costs $1000 to produce. Its very rare, highly illegal, dangerous, and difficult to transport putting it in that "99%" area... so that vial if you can find it from a seller should run you about $99,000 (IE a 99x multiplier for a 99% rarity commodity).

For me Base rarity should be The deciding factor so 0/5/10/30/50%
0% Very Common
5% Common
10% Uncommon
30% Rare
50% Unique (or for all intents and purposes unique) (double the expense multipler for something that is Rare or Unique)
Then Legal 0/5/20% (double the expense multipler)
danger 0/5/15% (double the expense multiplier)
transport 0/10/15%

** Edited forgot- I tried to stay close to your numbers, but I would probably tweak Legal to 0/10/30 and lower rarity 0/5/10/20/40 **

Last edited by bocephus; 05-30-2021 at 06:56 AM.
bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 01:17 PM   #45
ErhnamDJ

https://djgurps.blogspot.com/2021/06...pt-energy.html

I'd love to get some feedback on these ideas.

My blog.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:09 AM   #46
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
https://djgurps.blogspot.com/2021/06...pt-energy.html

I'd love to get some feedback on these ideas.
Ok, that was quite a read. I think I follow. Let me say that I applaud the objective: I really want a working "Pay with FP" system for powers.

The equation for energy can be simplified to S/(2+2U). That means one use per day is a quarter of the point value for energy needed. Two uses is one sixth. three uses is one eighth. Building a table:

1 Use ---- -50% Limitation ----1/4 of cost in FP
2 Uses ---- -33% Limitation ----1/6 of cost in FP
3 Uses ---- -25% Limitation ----1/8 of cost in FP
4 Uses ---- -20% Limitation ----1/10 of cost in FP
5 Uses ---- -17% Limitation ----1/12 of cost in FP
6 Uses ---- -14% Limitation ----1/14 of cost in FP
7 Uses ---- -12% Limitation ----1/16 of cost in FP
8 Uses ---- -11% Limitation ----1/18 of cost in FP
9 Uses ---- -10% Limitation ----1/20 of cost in FP

Those are probably the most common numbers. It might be good just to build a table like this, and have the math backing it, at least for for the final result. Half uses are probably useful numbers to have as well.

I'd also love a way to get to the 70% discount range, because -80% is magic in gurps powers.

Also, its a silly complaint, but my mathematical instinct feels like 3 uses should have the -33% and 1/6th of FP cost, not 2 uses.I understand why it is, but its a little bit of a mental speed bump. Not that the uses number actually needs to show up in the final table you produce.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:17 AM   #47
ErhnamDJ

Thanks for taking a look and making an effort to understand all this.

I keep having this nagging feeling that this entire thing is going to implode somehow whenever anyone else tries to make sense of it, so it's nice to have more eyes on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Not that the uses number actually needs to show up in the final table you produce.
I assume most players will want to start with the energy amount they want it to use and work from there. "I want this to take six energy. Let's see what the limitation value there is."

Then they can look, see that their advantage costs seventy-five points, and apply a formula to figure out how much of a limitation value that is. That's what I'm aiming for as the normal use case.

My blog.
Old 06-15-2021, 12:48 PM   #48
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I keep having this nagging feeling that this entire thing is going to implode somehow whenever anyone else tries to make sense of it, so it's nice to have more eyes on it.

I assume most players will want to start with the energy amount they want it to use and work from there. "I want this to take six energy. Let's see what the limitation value there is."

Then they can look, see that their advantage costs seventy-five points, and apply a formula to figure out how much of a limitation value that is. That's what I'm aiming for as the normal use case.
So if you want a limitation value from the advantage cost and energy cost, your current numbers give a really nice equation: its

Limitation = -(2*energy cost)/(advantage cost)%

I worked through the math on it all, but the simplest demonstration is to look at the table I built and observe the basic relationship L=2E/S.

Given that relationship, if I want to hit a specific Limitation value, the equation is E = LS/2.

Or in other words, The energy required is equal to half the number of points you want to save. In this scheme each point of costs FP knocks [2] off of the final cost of the ability.

Does that count as imploding the whole system? Its actually similar the way I built my version of it, when I took a crack at this problem... different discount per point of FP most of the time though.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 04:57 PM   #49
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Does that count as imploding the whole system?
Oh, no! I meant I was expecting someone to come in, point out something obvious, and go: "So that's why nothing remotely like this can possibly work."

My blog.

Tags
blog, blogs