Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
Captain Joy

Default Wanted: Military Airport Map

WARNING: If Captain Joy is your GM, stop reading this post.

This is a request for a map. Ideally, two (or more) maps: one that shows the overall facility, and one for the interior of the building(s) in question.

My PCs are going to have to sneak into a military/paramilitary facility to tamper with a spy plane this weekend. Specifically, they want access to Gary Power's U-2 Spy Plane before its infamous flight over Russia.

Thanks all!
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
robkelk
Untitled

Default Re: Wanted: Military Airport Map

I can help you with the exterior - here's a collection of maps of every airfield in Canada, including the military ones. (They're intended for pilots, but there's a map key in the first few pages.) Trenton (CYTR), Ontario is a reasonably-large military airfield - it's on pages 412-413. The security rating on these is Unclassified, so you won't get into trouble for having a copy.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:06 AM   #3
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
I can help you with the exterior - here's a collection of maps of every airfield in Canada, including the military ones. (They're intended for pilots, but there's a map key in the first few pages.) Trenton (CYTR), Ontario is a reasonably-large military airfield - it's on pages 412-413. The security rating on these is Unclassified, so you won't get into trouble for having a copy.
Thank you! And calling my attention to CYTR was going above and beyond.

I suspect I can always just mark out an appropriate sized rectangle on a wet-erase battle map for the interior of the hangers. Is there anything in hangers besides airplanes? Do they have basements? I'm going to assume they contain some offices, closets, and a bathroom along one side and no basement. I'm going to assume facilities exist for maintenance and repair, but they don't fuel up there. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

I'm going to assume that, in 1960 Pakistan, the perimeter would be surrounded by a high fence with barbed wire across the top, high guard towers, and would be guarded 24 and 7. And, that once you got inside, properly attired, you'd be able to move pretty freely–until you tried to get into a restricted high-security area, of course. Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 07-23-2013 at 06:15 AM. Reason: formatting, spelling, grammar, added last paragraph
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #4
Anders

You realize you are now on the books of every intelligence agency in the world?
Old 07-23-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
You realize you are now on the books of every intelligence agency in the world?
You seen the logo of our forum? Read the name? Everyone who's logged in here is on the intelligence books, including the spambots.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:27 AM   #6
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
I'm going to assume that, in 1960 Pakistan, the perimeter would be surrounded by a high fence with barbed wire across the top, high guard towers, and would be guarded 24 and 7. And, that once you got inside, properly attired, you'd be able to move pretty freely–until you tried to get into a restricted high-security area, of course. Again, correct me if I'm wrong.
It is my understanding that a fair number of places that were military airfields in the 50s are now civilian airports; the internal layout is probably pretty similar, if you can find out about the history of one local to you for maps.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
thrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
I suspect I can always just mark out an appropriate sized rectangle on a wet-erase battle map for the interior of the hangers.
Pretty much.

Quote:
Is there anything in hangers besides airplanes?
Overhead lifts are fairly common. A lot of space on the hangar floor gets used for storage, since aircraft are more cross-shaped than rectangular.

Quote:
Do they have basements?
I've never seen one. The usual construction is slab-on-grade.

Quote:
I'm going to assume they contain some offices, closets, and a bathroom along one side and no basement.
The back and side walls are often essentially separate buildings that house subordinate shops and offices. These may run to multiple stories, if the hangar is tall enough.

Quote:
I'm going to assume facilities exist for maintenance and repair, but they don't fuel up there.
Correct: fuel and ammo are dangerous, and so have their own separate areas or are brought to the aircraft at a designated safe area away from the maintenance and parking.

Quote:
I'm going to assume that, in 1960 Pakistan, the perimeter would be surrounded by a high fence with barbed wire across the top, high guard towers, and would be guarded 24 and 7.
Seems reasonable, except for the high guard towers: they are a hazard to low-flying aircraft (e.g., in the event of a bad approach or emergency go-around). Ideally, the entire airfield is visible from the control tower. In a high security environment, there may be an observation post in the tower, probably one level below the air traffic controllers.

Quote:
And, that once you got inside, properly attired, you'd be able to move pretty freely–until you tried to get into a restricted high-security area, of course.
Remember, this is a CIA operation. Keeping a low profile will be a priority. I would expect the aircraft (already fueled) to remain in the hangar with the doors closed until just prior to the flight. Getting to the hangar might not be that hard; getting into the hangar unnoticed is the challenge.
thrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #8
Wanderer

Alternative is always Google Maps with satellite view - if you know where to look you can easily trace the outlines of all the airfield structures - often you can even see the aircrafts parked on the tarmac. Just pick the airfield/airport you wish to use as a model for your game and start tracing.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #9
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
It is my understanding that a fair number of places that were military airfields in the 50s are now civilian airports.
Or share runways, as with Eglin AFB.

The actual departure airfield for Gary Powers was near Peshawar, Pakistan. I think it's now called Peshawar Air Station, PAF Camp Badaber. The satellite view doesn't show anything that leaps out to me as a current airstrip, though it's easy enough to imagine several places that might have been one.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
Whitestreak

I've only experienced one hangar with a basement. It was in Spain, and the original purpose of the basement was reputedly as a secondary command post.

Just as a point for you game.
Whitestreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aircraft, hangar, map, military, modern day