Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-21-2021, 06:38 AM   #11
benz72

Default Re: I need some help clearing out the clutter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_Ninja View Post
I need some help and...
[LIST][*]A functional understanding of whatever digital tabletop environment I want to use - leaning towards FoundryVTT presently. That'll take time.
I've recently (6 weeks ago) switched to Foundry and am really impressed with it, especially the N&N framework (GGA) It took about 6 hours for me to get basics of map import, PC import from GCA and making tokens to move around, roll dice and other basic functions that I consider 'minimum playable'. An additional 10-20 hours messing with modules and organizing resources has left me with a pretty good system, but I intend to keep adding and tweaking (e.g. I have yet to try macros in the system). All this is to say, Foundry is a good choice, watch the tutorial videos on Youtube.
Quote:
[*]A decently fleshed-out world in which I can run a campaign. Even if I start "big" and flesh out broad details, I'm not even sure where to start. And I want to be able to take a bite out of this one so badly, it's been escaping me for years.
Little bits at a time... you don't need a whole world to start play and I've found that players provide really good worldbuilding ideas if you let them. Just listen to them discuss theories of what is 'really' going on and pick one that you find interesting, twist it a little bit and make it 'true'. You need some initial conflict/quest/adventure, but don't drown yourself in detailed worldbuilding to the point you never start playing. [*]At least a passable knowledge of whatever books I want to use.
Quote:
[*]Assets. Digital tabletop makes things a lot easier, but I'm still going to need to generate assets (maps, splats, etc).
Maps and sounds and token images are available free or cheap online. Some are included in Foundry itself, others are available with a google image search.

Good Luck
Old 10-21-2021, 09:27 AM   #12
Opellulo

I kind of feel your situation: since my baby was born it was impossible for me to get a stable time for my hobbies, I though it was only a temporary thing but it was already almost 3 years ago...

The pandemic, paradoxically, gave me a little more time so i took the chance and got back to GUPRS because it's the system i know best (even if my initial idea was to try some of the new stylish RPGs out there).

Anyway, I got into the fray with nothing more than the sketchy memories of the basic manuals, so I recruited a couple coworkers in Rolld20 (which is WAY friendlier to use) for a short adventure in the Witcher world. The setting was chosen because the TV show made it familiar to many and because the excellent free setting manual around.

So we got 6 amazing sessions and a abrupt stop because of external stuff. I still got some requests to continue the adventure even if the tide has slowed, who knows.

All this to say, ditch the preparation, ditch the tools, just find a couple friends and start right away, rules or settings are not important, people are.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:32 PM   #13
FF_Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opellulo View Post
All this to say, ditch the preparation, ditch the tools, just find a couple friends and start right away, rules or settings are not important, people are.
Unfortunately, I'm plumb out of friends at the moment. Kind of been that way for years. I won't bore you with the sob story, though. That's why I favor VTT.
FF_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:29 PM   #14
Stormcrow

Quote:
Unfortunately, I'm plumb out of friends at the moment. Kind of been that way for years. I won't bore you with the sob story, though. That's why I favor VTT.
Don't shy away from telling strangers who are prospective players, "It's been a while since I've run a game, and I'm a little new to the virtual tabletop, so I'll be taking this game at a relaxed pace while I get comfortable with things." If someone isn't okay with this, they won't join, and you'll be left with players who are comfortable with it.

There's a lot of pressure in RPG forums to "maintain the narrative flow" and provide an "immersive experience," but I think you'll find that a lot of actual players are perfectly happy to take things at a more relaxed pace, and aren't out to judge your GMing efficiency.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:38 PM   #15
Shostak

Quote:
The GURPS Discord and these SJG forums have "Looking for Game/Players" sections that can be efficacious, especially if playing remotely rather than in-person.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:45 AM   #16
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The everyone who is saying start with the group:

That's the best way to start playing. And ultimately, its what you have to do. I know I had a period where scheduling made that very difficult, while I could find time in bits and pieces in various places, which is one reason why I started playing by post. I could build settings and adventures in the meantime though, and a lot of those have ended up being used in various games. I find I run games best when I've planned out the campaign properly before running it.

So if someone wants to start with campaign design, that's a fine place to start, and get some traction. Its not a good place to stop or get stuck though.

Note that I said "Campaign Design", not setting. And perhaps I should have said "Adventure Design". These settings only matter in as much as they have some effect on the story. The exact nature of the apocalypse matters because it says who lived and what challenges are in the environment. Who fired the first nuclear missile only matters if the surviving factions are around to point fingers and give the players missions related to that finger pointing.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, time management, world building