Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
martinl

Default X-Kromm

Thogwarfolkksen, go ahead and read now.

So, I am thinking about running a one shot where a bunch of GURPS DF types assault a crashed UFO. Rough plan:

Alien contains non-elite greys/sectoids who weren't expecting combat. So no armor, mediocre weapon skill, pistols. Some psi skills, but nothing overwhelming. They will start out pretty dazed, but will psi-co-ordinate fairly quickly once the fight starts. (And it WILL be a fight, since they are ****** about the attack see below.) Thinking S9D13I14(W16)H12 SM-1

Weapons will be some type of tight beam blaster, so 2d(10) type damage rather than 6d or whatever. Gives DF types a chance, although it does hose over knights. Maybe they can have "holy armor" that counts as hardened or something. In any case, as X-Kromm, barbarians should be preferred.

Crashed in wilderness area. For giggles, UFO is on top of ancient dragon who apparently picked a fight with it. Lots of smashed trees etc. High council of Wizards TPs PCs into area but is unwilling to provide more support until they know what they're dealing with.

Just to be mean, there's a chrysalid in a pen in the UFO, which the greys will release if seriously threatened.

I'm curious what the hivemind thinks. have I missed anything important?

Last edited by martinl; 10-17-2012 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Update disclaimer
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
Maz

Default Re: X-Kromm

Be sure the players are up to this idea of mixing fantasy and sci-fi. Most players prefer to keep game-settings rather "clean" unless specified in advance. Even in a one-shot.

You should consider how psionic powers and magic interact. Does resistant to Magic help against psy?

2d(10) isn't even that bad. Ok, it's ranged ,but what is it's RoF? And Acc bonus? Those are what determined if it's really dangerous or just problematic.
Also, does Resist Fire also makes you immune to the lasers? (immune to all fire and heat attacks) and/or does any of the "deflect" missile" spells work?

Btw. despite the obvious joke ;) , you shouldn't put "kromm" in your thread title: http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...61&postcount=1
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

No worries about the title. ;)
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Be sure the players are up to this idea of mixing fantasy and sci-fi. Most players prefer to keep game-settings rather "clean" unless specified in advance. Even in a one-shot.
Not only do they know, but they are chomping at the bit.

Quote:
You should consider how psionic powers and magic interact. Does resistant to Magic help against psy?
Good question. I'm going to go with "no."

Quote:
2d(10) isn't even that bad. Ok, it's ranged ,but what is it's RoF? And Acc bonus? Those are what determined if it's really dangerous or just problematic.
Damage isn't that bad, but it's not a military side arm, and designed for SM-1 critters, so my minimal requirements for plausibility are met. I'm aiming for one hit hurts, two hits might incapacitate, three hits will likely take you down.

I'll probably go with ROF 3, Acc 3, Rcl 2, and range 100/1000. Tight beam burning - it's a plasma blaster that assumes opponents will be armored.

Quote:
Also, does Resist Fire also makes you immune to the lasers? (immune to all fire and heat attacks) and/or does any of the "deflect" missile" spells work?
Also good questions. It's star-hot plasma, so if you can resist that (I know it's an option if you blow enough FP) you're golden. I'll let anything that can move a fireball move it.

That said, I'm gonna disallow Wizards, and probably Druids and Clerics. PCs need to be Quick and Dirty.

Quote:
Btw. despite the obvious joke ;) , you shouldn't put "kromm" in your thread title: http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...61&postcount=1
Huh, I thought that rule was against "[Kromm]" specifically, which used to be used to get the Good Doctor's attention and was overused until it needed to be stopped. (As opposed to "Kromm," which is ok as there is no implicit request for a response.)

I'm not sure if I'm right after checking the FAQ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
No worries about the title. ;)
...but it seems Kromm is ok with this instance.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
Pmandrekar
Careful Wisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
Thogwarfolkksen, please do not read.
Thanks for the warning. I'm averting my eyes from my screen. I may not be able to find my way out of the cubicle farm.

See you in two hours!
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts"- Daniel P. Moynihan
Pmandrekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
ronom

The title threw me, I thought it was about Kromm.
ronom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #7
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
Thogwarfolkksen, please do not read.

So, I am thinking about running a one shot where a bunch of GURPS DF types assault a crashed UFO. Rough plan:

Alien contains non-elite greys/sectoids who weren't expecting combat. So no armor, mediocre weapon skill, pistols. Some psi skills, but nothing overwhelming. They will start out pretty dazed, but will psi-co-ordinate fairly quickly once the fight starts. (And it WILL be a fight, since they are ****** about the attack see below.) Thinking S9D13I14(W16)H12 SM-1

Weapons will be some type of tight beam blaster, so 2d(10) type damage rather than 6d or whatever. Gives DF types a chance, although it does hose over knights. Maybe they can have "holy armor" that counts as hardened or something. In any case, as X-Kromm, barbarians should be preferred.
So far sounds a lot like Andre Norton's High Crusade. I suggest you give this title a read for inspiration if you aren't familiar with it.

BTW, Why the X-Kromm title? Play on words for X-com, where Kromm = GURPS/DF?
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:33 AM   #8
Mathulhu

X-Kromm where Kromm sounds like the barbarian god for Conan.
Hence X-Com with barbarians.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:51 AM   #9
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

X-Kromm should be about zombies, shouldn't it?
Old 10-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #10
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
BTW, Why the X-Kromm title? Play on words for X-com, where Kromm = GURPS/DF?
In part, because Herr Doktor was the author of the first few DF books, and is an acknowledged fan of computer games. (Not sure if he ever played UFO defense though.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathulhu View Post
X-Kromm where Kromm sounds like the barbarian god for Conan. Hence X-Com with barbarians.
In part, because of this.

There was, in fact, a Barbarian PC. (We played last night.)