Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-08-2020, 07:33 AM   #11
TippetsTX

Default Re: Which weapons may be Fine Weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
Thanks, and yes, these should be rare and precious materials. Obtaining even a single item of the unusual materials should be a major event for the players. Otherwise it loses its specialness and turns into one of those D&D campaigns where mithril is found around every corner.
Exactly! Ugh, mithral... the DM's bane; the most abused metal in D&D. Every blacksmith in the realm has access to substantial quantities, apparently.

TBH, though, I have similar issues with 'silver' weapons and armor in TFT. Much too common by RAW, I think.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:38 AM   #12
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
An excellent question, and one that wants attention since it's not clear what the rules mean.

In my original TFT campaign, IIRC, we weren't clear what the rules meant, but at some point I gave up trying and decided to just allow fine everything up to +2 damage, +1 DX, though fine weapons were rare, as tended to be master armorers who were immediately available to make weapons for adventurers.

(Then we started using GURPS, which has clearer (except now there are multiple different versions) and slightly more detailed fine weapon rules.)

To my eyes, I would interpret the RAW as:

* "Cutting" weapons can go up to +2 damage, and other weapons listed can go up to +1 damage.

* Daggers can go up to +1 damage, but no DX improvement.

As for what weapons qualify for +2 or +1 damage, I read this as:

+2: Saber, Shortsword, Broadsword, Bastardsword, Two-Handed Sword, Greatsword,
Hatchet, Small Axe, War Axe, Battleaxe,
Halberd, Pikeaxe

+1:
Dagger, Rapier,
Hammer, Mace, Morningstar, Great Hammer,
Javelin, Spear, Cavalry Lance, Pike

Note I do include Morningstar, both because it means what's called a "mace & chain" OR a spiked mace, both of which are mace-y, AND because Steve has a published example of a fine +1 damage morningstar in one of his adventures (to avoid spoilers, I'm not listing where).

As fas as Main Gauche, I could see deciding it's a dagger and allowing +1. Makes sense. On the other hand, it is a bit of a weird weapon, and now that it's been made rather better than it originally was, I might want to limit its potential greatness in that way.

The above is the best answer. The only addition I would make is: I would add Tridents to the +1 damage / +1 DX list as they are pole arms. (I see you omitted them).
Axly Suregrip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:06 AM   #13
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
TBH, though, I have similar issues with 'silver' weapons and armor in TFT. Much too common by RAW, I think.
Silver does tend to be overabundant in TFT, though wizards are more common among players than in the general population, so there is some skewing due to that. And at least it's a silver alloy and not pure silver. In my formulation it is commingled with significant amounts of tungsten and bismuth, and traces of titanium in certain cases. But not much titanium, since that also has mild magnetic properties.

I like that bronze weapons and armor are also compatible with magic, and would like to see more wizards armed with those alternatives. That would also makes those wizards less prone to being jumped for their expensive accoutrements.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:04 AM   #14
hcobb

Note that bronze is not listed as an acceptable staff material.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:48 AM   #15
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Note that bronze is not listed as an acceptable staff material.
Personally, I don't think any metal should be acceptable as staff material.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:50 AM   #16
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Personally, I don't think any metal should be acceptable as staff material.
I agree. I prefer wood only staves. Gets rid of this sword-is-a-staff nonsense.
Axly Suregrip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:44 PM   #17
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
The above is the best answer. The only addition I would make is: I would add Tridents to the +1 damage / +1 DX list as they are pole arms. (I see you omitted them).
I agree. I forgot Tridents when I was writing that.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 01:56 AM   #18
Steve Plambeck

I suppose a hollow staff could have a narrow sword such as a foil hidden inside it. It wouldn't add anything to the damage done by the staff, and again it could NOT be a magnetic metal or the staff would have to be dropped for normal spell casting, and that would be rather silly. It would just function as a concealed backup weapon.

Hmmmm.... now I picture a silver spike embedded in the head of the staff, so it could do double duty as a sharp-pointy-thingy :)
Old 04-09-2020, 01:34 PM   #19
tomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
I suppose a hollow staff could have a narrow sword such as a foil hidden inside it. It wouldn't add anything to the damage done by the staff, and again it could NOT be a magnetic metal or the staff would have to be dropped for normal spell casting, and that would be rather silly. It would just function as a concealed backup weapon.

Hmmmm.... now I picture a silver spike embedded in the head of the staff, so it could do double duty as a sharp-pointy-thingy :)
Google "sword canes". Apparently they're quite a thing.

Some have embedded LED flashlights and/or stun guns...

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:21 PM   #20
JustAnotherJarhead

so then ALL Rapiers are omitted as cutting?
JustAnotherJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote