Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 11-04-2021, 09:06 PM   #1
Toltrin

Default What mix would you choose to defend that CP?

To defend my CP vs an OGRE Mark 3B (20 armor units) I would choose:
24...Infantry squads (8au)
4.....LGEVs (2au)
3.....GEVs (3au)
2.....Hvy TNKs (2au)
2.....Lt TNKs (1au)
2.....MSL TNKs (2au)
1.....Howitzer (2au)

What would YOU choose for a Mark 3 (17 armor units) or Mark 5 (25 armor units)?
I had a battle on October 20th on the crater map:
Combine OGRE Mark 3B vs Paneurpean 6 sprHVYs and 4 Howitzers.
Result?
Only 2 SpyHVYs and 2 Howitzers survived. The OGRE killed the CP but was tread immobilized on it's way out. Partial draw or a loss? You decide.
The name of the OGRE?
Marchese.
I record all my battles on the back of the OGRE record card that is 3"x2.5". I do this so I can test different army mixes against certain OGREs.
Toltrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 10:02 PM   #2
CON_Troll

Default Re: What mix would you choose to defend that CP?

Interesting choice, but...
Shouldn't you get a number of INF anyway without having to pay AU for them? I mean, the III-B is worth 20 armor units vs. 17 AU for the plain MK III. I get that. But the basic defense against a MK III is 12 AU of armor AND 20 points of INF (just under 7 AU) for a total of just under 19 AU. So since a III-B is worth 3 AU more than a MK III, shouldn't you get some additional INF for your force? I'm thinking that a III-B standing in for a MK III should get the defenders an automatic push up to 14 AU of armor and a starting INF force of 24 points of INF (8 AU.) Sooo, if you do not increase your INF, you should be entitled to 2 more AU of armor. If you were playing against me (and I had a III-B) that is what I would offer you.
If you agree, what would you spend the 2 extra AUs on?
And to answer your original question, I'd cut out the HWZ, add 2 more HVYs and 2 more MSLs (because of the extra 2 AUs gained above if you agree.) Otherwise, I'd go with the rest of your force.
Why? Those extra 2 missiles on the III-B gives the Ogre player a LOT more options. I agree with your GEV/LGEV amounts as that gives you a good "hounding" force that can keep nipping pieces off it and hopefully induce the Ogre into using more missiles than it really should in the early to mid-game. But with 4 missiles, there is too much chance the Ogre will range the HWZ before it can get enough shots off to justify it's cost.
Just my opinion. I've lost too many games to be considered a sage on tactics...
Old 11-16-2021, 12:36 AM   #3
Toltrin

Default Re: What mix would you choose to defend that CP?

1 AU=1 Armor Units or 6 victory points. So, a Mark 3 OGRE would be 17 armor units or 100 victory points.

According to your examples of the Mark 3 and Mark 3-B, one should expect to recieve an extra 10% in Armor Units worth of Infantry?
In both examples, armor is 64% and infantry 36% (with the extra 2 AU of infantry).
To me, this seems more of a balancing tweak.
I like consistency in my probability situations like equating a 100vp OGRE with 102vp worth of 17 armor units (16.67 rounded up of course).
I have actually won against the OGRE Mark 3 twice in three games played by sticking to 17 armor units of both infantry and armor. I might try it out with just 16 armor units soon. I tell you how it goes. :-)

vs. 25 Point OGRE Mark 4:
Heightened GEV allocation due to OGRE speed and presence of water.
32% or 8 AU Infantry (24 Infantry points allocation)
20% or 5 AU Armor (HVY, Lt.TNK, SprHVY)
28% or 7 AU GEV (GEV, GEV APC, Lt.GEV)
20% or 5 AU Artillery (HOW, MHOW, MSL TNK, LtHOW)

Should it be 10 AU of infantry instead of 8?
Toltrin is offline   Reply With Quote