Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
Mailanka

Default [Pyramid] The Magic of Stories: Alternate Archetypes

Issue 3_13 of Pyramid (Thaumatology) includes an article on Fairy Tale magic, with the following Archetypes:
  • The Captive Maiden
  • The Dark Sorceror
  • The Fortunate Son
  • The Gentle Fool
  • The Noble Knight

In a sidebar, it suggests the following archetypes:
  • The Faithful Companion
  • The Clever Animal
  • The Good King
  • The Oracle
  • The Dread Beast
  • The Treacherous Counselor

I was curious if anyone had worked these out, or would care to give them a shot?
Old 11-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
Faolyn

Default Re: [Pyramid] The Magic of Stories: Alternate Archetypes

I haven't made them, but I would imagine that for the two animal types, the best way would be IQ+2 (assuming they're still animals; otherwise, IQ 10) and buy off Hidebound. For The Dread Beast, add Bloodthirsty or Sadism. For The Clever Animal, add SoD: protagonist.

SoD: protagonist for The Faithful Companion as well, perhaps with a Vow to always stand by him, never betray him, etc. FCs also have skills to compliment the hero.

For The Good King, you want Honesty, Truthfulness, SoD: the people, and possibly Blessed (The King's Two Bodies). Add high levels of rulership skills, a positive Reputation and Staus, Wealth, and IDHMBWM, but I'm sure PU: Talents has an appropriate kingly Talent. Also a Dependant (beautiful daughter) and/or Allies (three sons). Many also have a Delusion (my counselor isn't treacherous; my second wife isn't an evil witch, etc.).

For The Treacherous Counselor, add Selfish, Jealousy, Greed, Callous, and maybe things like Megalomania, Paranoia, and, if necessary, the Quirk "looks out for number one." Add Contacts or Allies (evil wizards, the dark lord, etc.), Allies (minions, thugs, and henchmen) acting skills, and the Perk Honest Face. Also Wealth, with which he can attempt to bribe the hero, and Status, so the king will listen to him.

The Oracle mostly needs Oracle, the advantage, and possibly the OPH: Willfully Enigmatic (from Horror? DF? Don't remember). If not Oracle, then the Divination spell.

Hope that helps. I know it's not in template format, but it's a start.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
Mailanka

Default Re: [Pyramid] The Magic of Stories: Alternate Archetypes

Ah, some clarification for those who don't have the issue:

The Magic of Stories is about tapping into the power of an archtype to cast a spell. Thus, you can use the Archetype of the Captive Maiden to see the virtues and vice of your captor, or to find what his weakness is. You can use the Archetype of the Noble Knight to strengthen yourself or your blade, or to become better at hunting dragons. You can use the Archetype of the Fortunate Son to trick your opponents, to become a better liar, or to slip away undetected.

They're a form of Path magic, unique to Fairy Tales.

So what I'm really looking for is a collection of appropriate Path/book rituals for those Archetypes that don't yet have details.

Tags
path/book magic