Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #11
Humabout

Default Re: Pyramid #3/43: Thaumatology III

This one definitely has my attention! I'm really curious to see what the Alchemy system looks like, and I'd assume I could always swap out Alchemy for Herb Lore, should I want a more Df Druid-style varient.

Sorcery level sound intriguing, and I'm really hoping that it is generic enough to use with reworked colleges, new colleges, or merely conceptually.

And did someone mention more path/book stuff? Did I hear something about cannibals and ghouls? I think I need this issue...

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #12
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
This one definitely has my attention! I'm really curious to see what the Alchemy system looks like, and I'd assume I could always swap out Alchemy for Herb Lore, should I want a more Df Druid-style varient.
Sure, I could see that working. You could also adapt it for charms by just leaving out the bit about formula type (potion, powder, ointment, etc.). Or perhaps by adding "charm" as a new type.
Quote:
Sorcery level sound intriguing, and I'm really hoping that it is generic enough to use with reworked colleges, new colleges, or merely conceptually.
As long as you use a system structured similarly to the standard GURPS Magic system, it should be adaptable with very nearly zero extra work.
Quote:
And did someone mention more path/book stuff? Did I hear something about cannibals and ghouls? I think I need this issue...
I only flipped through this section so far, but there are Path/Book rituals that involve "eat a portion of the target person" in the casting.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #13
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Depends on if you make extensive use of RPM or not; personally, I'd probably buy it just for the Alchemy, but that's up to you.
Thanks. :-)

Quote:
The only things I dislike about the Alchemy system are the examples of the required materials. Rather than being all about drawings of stuff, I'd be happier with animal body parts or natural elements, etc. Things like 'eye of newt' or 'a hawk's feather', rather than 'a picture of an airplane' or 'an autographed drawing of Road Runner'. That said, it's easy enough to just say the required materials need to be more traditional and less drawings, especially since there are very few examples of materials - you'd need to come up with some of your own, anyways.
Well, its made with the Monster Hunters series in mind. I could have written double the word count for example potions and required materials. I could have sworn I made it clear that any material would work as long as they embodied the concept you were trying to imbue your potion with. If not, let me make it clear here: anything can work as a metaphorical ingredient, but the GM makes the final call for what its worth and what should or shouldn't count.

For example, lets take your hawk feather for example: I'd let it be considered a ingredient for either a potion that grants (FREX) flight or telescopic vision. For a primary feather I might consider it a good ingredient, for a particular rare hawk (or any raptor really) I might let it go up to fine ingredient.

Quote:
It's in there, in fact:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramid #3/34
Likewise, if the GM allows, Herb Lore may have its own version for Ritual Path magic. Use these alchemy rules but replace metaphorical ingredients with
specific plants that are reputed to give or are linked to the effects
desired in the potion. See GURPS Thaumatology (p. 105) and
GURPS Magic (p. 222) for more details on herbs and their uses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Sure, I could see that working. You could also adapt it for charms by just leaving out the bit about formula type (potion, powder, ointment, etc.). Or perhaps by adding "charm" as a new type.
Alchemical Amulets, Talismans, etc. are basically RPM Charms. Use those rules.

My gaming group, Antoni Ten Monros aka Kuroshima, and I banged on this system until it fell apart and I put it back together again. Better stronger, etc. we have duck tape. So while I wrote it, they made it much better.

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #14
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Well, RPM already has things that work like alchemical charms, really; the regular old RPM charms ;)

Since the Alchemy as presented are RPM charms with interesting things detailed on them, and possibly an extra discount due to the lengths you have to go to to make them... When you get down to it, an "Alchemical Charm" could be made much like any other alchemical item except with more duration applied to it.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #15
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Well, RPM already has things that work like alchemical charms, really; the regular old RPM charms ;)

Since the Alchemy as presented are RPM charms with interesting things detailed on them, and possibly an extra discount due to the lengths you have to go to to make them... When you get down to it, an "Alchemical Charm" could be made much like any other alchemical item except with more duration applied to it.
And the article even mentions that...
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #16
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Well, its made with the Monster Hunters series in mind. I could have written double the word count for example potions and required materials. I could have sworn I made it clear that any material would work as long as they embodied the concept you were trying to imbue your potion with. If not, let me make it clear here: anything can work as a metaphorical ingredient, but the GM makes the final call for what its worth and what should or shouldn't count.
Yeah, it was perfectly clear that 'anything goes' for the material ingredients; I just didn't care for the example ones much. When I adapt this to my own game, I'll probably create a detailed list of what types of ingredients are acceptable; things like drawings will not be among that list. I'm more of a fan of.the classical alchemy ingredients.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #17
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
And the article even mentions that...
Yes Toni, I know. Ya'll better listen to Kuroshima. Otherwise he'll take a newspaper to ya. :P

Quote:
Yeah, it was perfectly clear that 'anything goes' for the material ingredients; I just didn't care for the example ones much. When I adapt this to my own game, I'll probably create a detailed list of what types of ingredients are acceptable; things like drawings will not be among that list. I'm more of a fan of.the classical alchemy ingredients.
Well, sorry 'bout that, I tailored it to MH, and you really should for your own campaign anyways. I know I did for my Urban Fantasy campaign (where this system was developed), especially when I complicated it with RPM Magical Styles.

Ghostdancer

Become a Patron!
Old 05-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #18
Langy

Even for Monster Hunters, I don't see drawings as being an acceptable alchemy ingredient. But hey, I'm not really complaining - that was pretty much the only part of the article I didn't like. That means I DID like the rest of the article:)

Last edited by Langy; 05-25-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #19
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Even for Monster Hunters, I don't see drawings as being an acceptable alchemy ingredient. But hey, I'm not really complaining - that was pretty much the only part of the article I didn't like. That means I DID like the rest of the article:)
Well thank you again. I'd love to see the final list you come up with, as I am a fan of alchemy in all its forms, historical, fictional, whatever. Its one of the reasons why I've done *two* articles on the subject. :-)

Ghostdancer

Become a Patron!
Old 05-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #20
Humabout

Well, this is definitely on my when-I-get-more-money list!

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
path/book magic, pyramid 3/43, pyramid issues