Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 08-22-2021, 12:01 AM   #1
steam_bucky

Default Suggestion for a Car Wars Game Play video

I have really enjoyed the new Car Wars game play videos. They are really going to help me hit the ground running when the game arrives.

I am putting in a request. I would love to see an arena scenario video. Any arena scenario would be interesting to watch. I will suggest mine:

Scenario name: Lap-shoot

Map layout: regular map but with a 4 x 4 inch pice of blocking terrain in the middle. Something you can do a lap around.

Scenario: All cars must do a lap ( Clock wise ) of the arena BEFORE they can shoot. All players MUST travel clockwise for 1 lap before they travel in any other direction. Cars enter from the middle of the of their edge. If only two players, they set on opposite map edges.

Notes: The spirit of this scenario is for players build a car that is a balance between a hotrod and a gunship. If you build a hotrod you will probably do your lap quickly will be shooting the other players first. Or you you could make a slower gunship that can take a pounding and out gun a car built for speed.

You may ram other cars at any time. You may make a car built for ramming only. You only have to do the lap if you want to shoot.

Notes to SJG Games: You probably have you hands full with running a company in covid affected world, it's just a suggestion. If you don't like this scenario, then play your own. I would love to see that.

EDIT TO ALL READERS: - Whats the first Arena Scenario you are going to play with the new Car Wars? Give us some details. :)

Last edited by steam_bucky; 08-23-2021 at 01:18 AM.
steam_bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 02:02 PM   #2
43Supporter

Default Re: Suggestion for a Car Wars Game Play video

I have a similar event -- "the Cloverleaf".

Take four "pylons" (I use Solo Cups). Place them in a square formation with four-car-widths-wide gaps between them.

Cars drive around the pylons, passing through the intersection four times per lap. The player may drive around the pylons to the left, or to the right; but all pylons must be circled in the same way (four lefts, or four rights). First to complete the set number of laps wins.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 01:12 AM   #3
JimTullis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
I have a similar event -- "the Cloverleaf".

Take four "pylons" (I use Solo Cups). Place them in a square formation with four-car-widths-wide gaps between them.
You must construct additional pylons. ;)
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 01:17 AM   #4
steam_bucky

Default Re: Suggestion for a Car Wars Game Play video / Scenario

I will retool this thread a bit - What is the first arena scenario you are going to play with the new Car Wars? Give us some details.

Last edited by steam_bucky; 08-23-2021 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Spelling errors! I am terrible!
steam_bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 09:19 AM   #5
PresidentTwoeagles

The rules manual mentions 4 cards with colors and 0-3. A scenario idea would be to place those in the arena space (maybe in the middle of the arena or the farthest from each player color's starting point) and then the players have to drive over their colored card, then lead it back to their starting point (place the card at their starting point or a new goal location so they know where to go). Maybe a rule would be they have to END their movement on the card and not just pass over it. I'm sure collisions will ensue! Also maybe make it so that opponents can move your card (instead of pass over) which makes it harder for you to get it.

For myself, once I get the game my plan is to take it to the local gaming store and do an "amateur night" with low-point prebuilt cars, with enough variety in the weapons and components to demonstrate the rules.

Last edited by PresidentTwoeagles; 08-23-2021 at 11:57 AM.
PresidentTwoeagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 01:33 PM   #6
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
You must construct additional pylons. ;)
Four is quite sufficient for the level of destruction which results. (I've done this even with previous _CW_s, and the intersection is a nightmare.)

Looks a bit like this -- "O" are the pylons; "X" are because this forum doesn't allow one to use blank spaces:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXOXXXXOXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXOXXXXOXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 02:43 PM   #7
kjamma4

Code:

O    O    

O    O
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 08:44 PM   #8
JimTullis

43Supporter, sorry I was quoting a Starcraft meme, not criticizing your arena.
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote