Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-07-2022, 01:39 AM   #1
Drop Bear

Default Personal Mana

over the years I've seen way too many Jacked Wizards who can be among the physically strongest in the party so they have the fatigue to cast lots of magic.

I was thinking allow characters to have a pool of personal Mana, Mages get 1point free for every level of Magery, characters can buy levels of "Extra Mana" for say 3pts/level, this advantage could be restricted to Mages only (without an unusual background) and further redistricted to X levels per level of Magery (say 4), personal Mana recovers at the same rate as a Power Stone
Drop Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 02:29 AM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Personal Mana

Energy Reserve is 3/level and already exists.
It works similar to FP but recovers on its own and does not require rest.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 02:48 AM   #3
Drop Bear

We never went over to 4e, we are missing only a couple of 3e books and some 1&2e books. I take it Energy Reserve is something from 4e?
Old 07-07-2022, 03:23 AM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop Bear View Post
We never went over to 4e, we are missing only a couple of 3e books and some 1&2e books. I take it Energy Reserve is something from 4e?
Yes, and its helpful if your asking questions or talking about 3e to put that in the subject line. The default is 4e since it has been out so long and likely answers may not be very useful to you if your playing 3e and readers do not know that.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 04:18 AM   #5
Balor Patch

Quote:
over the years I've seen way too many Jacked Wizards who can be among the physically strongest in the party so they have the fatigue to cast lots of magic.
In 4E fatigue is based off HT and ST is used for HP.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:05 AM   #6
whswhs

Even in 3/e, wasn't it possible to buy up FP separately from ST, and at a lower point cost?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:27 AM   #7
Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Even in 3/e, wasn't it possible to buy up FP separately from ST, and at a lower point cost?
Yes, 3 CP per point, in my version of 3rd Ed German version Basic Set, based on GURPS 3rd Ed Basic Set second Edition. Nearly the same rules as 4th Ed, just the base attribute is ST not HT.
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 05:43 AM   #8
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
Yes, 3 CP per point, in my version of 3rd Ed German version Basic Set, based on GURPS 3rd Ed Basic Set second Edition. Nearly the same rules as 4th Ed, just the base attribute is ST not HT.
So you could build a ruthlessly optimized wizard by buying the ST down to 8 and then putting all the points gained into buying their FP back up . . .

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:22 AM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
People who take that road do not understand the True Optimization Path. Increasing your spell skills so spells take less fatigue to cast is far more optimal.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:48 AM   #10
Drop Bear

They tend to start as dabblers who go STR 14-15, IQ 12, Magery 1 focus to one or two Combat spells (15, not always fire, in fact ice is popular) some supporting Utility spells from that Collage (usually prerequisites) and minor healing. they get some mundane combat and utility skills ignoring Craft and Academic skills, over the campaign they will polish their Combat skills their main combat spell and pick up a few more utility spells.

By the time they have 50 XP in the bag they have a bit more diversity in their magic and are keeping pace with the mundane fighters, wile the Wizards are grinding for enchantment or if they where already enchanters grinding spells to use in their enchantments.