Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-08-2021, 06:08 AM   #11
Varyon

Default Re: Defensive Attack + MaxST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
if max thrust is basically thrust provided by 3x the ST needed to wield the weapon without DX penalties I'm not sure why they don't just list that thrust
Why would they? It would just be another entry cluttering up a table that already has quite a few entries on it and would only be useful in the edge case where a character picks up a new weapon that he/she is too strong for (if it's something the character uses normally, the player would have already done the table lookup and written the relevant damage down).
Old 04-08-2021, 06:09 PM   #12
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
There are weapons in Martial Arts with MinST as low as 4, under Knife, p. 228. They aren't likely to be anyone's main weapon, but they can be useful if concealed.
Weird. Like, that's definitely neat, but still odd for a SM+0 weapon to have that low of MinST. Even 6 seemed bizarre to me. Then again, looking at the straight razor, they might have decided the MinST by starting with what the MaxST would be.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:02 AM   #13
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Why would they? It would just be another entry cluttering up a table that already has quite a few entries on it and would only be useful in the edge case where a character picks up a new weapon that he/she is too strong for (if it's something the character uses normally, the player would have already done the table lookup and written the relevant damage down).
Doesn't seem like it would take much room, could even make it part of the existing damage column and just write min/max dice. Would just save needing to check the table so much.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:09 AM   #14
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Doesn't seem like it would take much room, could even make it part of the existing damage column and just write min/max dice. Would just save needing to check the table so much.
It's another column, and another entry in the section detailing what "Max Dam" corresponds to, and possibly needing to expand the entries for Fine and Very Fine to state the bonus also applies to Max Dam. And, again, it's only useful for the edge case of a character picking up a new weapon that he/she is too strong for. Is this a problem in your campaigns, that players have to constantly disrupt play to check the table to see how much damage the knife their character just picked up can do?
Old 04-19-2021, 11:12 AM   #15
mburr0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
I don't know if it's said in the books, but I know Kromm has on multiple occasions pointed out that was the intent. What I put together was that the weapon can't do more than MaxST + base weapon damage.
I'd say if you're going with that Kromm ruling in your house, then go all the way, if dice adds count against the Max ST, then dice penalties should also apply before Max ST is determined.

But, I'll note, that's never been the way I've ruled. I treat max ST as the Maximum ST that can be used for damage calculation, any other dice adds from non-ST sources (Weapon Master, Quality, Posoin, Magic, Etc) are counted after ST is capped.

Tags
damage, maxst