Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 06-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #11
cornixt
Banned

Default Re: Munchkin Conan at Warehouse 23

My impression when seeing that there was going to be a full release was "Why?". Conan is pretty much just a stripped down fantasy story - fewer elves and more barbarians. The booster pack to the fantasy deck makes perfect sense, the full game just isn't attractive to me because I already have the fantasy decks. Unless I'm missing something somewhere?
cornixt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:02 PM   #12
Cpt. Sqweky

You are missing something. The Conan stories fall under the category of "Sword and Sandals" fantasy, also known as "low" fantasy. It is extremely different than the more well-known "Epic" or "High" fantasy, which is generally what D&D follows and regular Munchkin is parodying. Sure, they're both "fantasy", and there are some similarities, but they're still completely different genres.
Cpt. Sqweky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:27 PM   #13
emillang1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornixt View Post
My impression when seeing that there was going to be a full release was "Why?". Conan is pretty much just a stripped down fantasy story - fewer elves and more barbarians. The booster pack to the fantasy deck makes perfect sense, the full game just isn't attractive to me because I already have the fantasy decks. Unless I'm missing something somewhere?
Waitwaitwaitwaitwait.... wait.

Have you ever bothered to READ Conan stories? The movie is EXTREMELY low down on the fantasy end of things for Conan.

Yes, many Conan stories are small-scale: Conan getting involved in blood feud, or raiding a deep dungeon for a special weapon, or fighting a snake-cult, etc. But just as many involve him beating the crap out of giants, assailing armies of the undead, fighting dark wizards, and punching Great Old Ones in the face

And when I say Great Old Ones, I MEAN Great. Old. Ones. We're talking Nergel, Yog-Sothoth, etc. Lovecraft and R.E. Howard were good friends, borrowed characters from one another, and Kull & Conan and the Cthulhu Mythos are considered by fans and scholars of both sources to be within the same universe. You know why Cthulhu Sleeps in R'lyeh? Because Conan drop-kicked him so hard back in the Hyborian Age that the High Priest of the Great Old Ones needed to go lie down for a few millennia.

Conan is perfectly fit to be in a "Fantasy" setting; it's just that Conan is more in line with A Song of Ice and Fire than it is Lord of the Rings - that is, less "fairies and dwarves and prettyshiny elves" High Fantasy, and more "blood and guts and grimdark sorcerers" Low/Dark Fantasy.

(And, just for so, BOTH LOTR and Conan are inspired by real-world mythologies. Tolkien loved Norse, Celtic, and Arthurian mythologies, so LOTR is written with those aesthetics; Howard, however, loved Greek, Egyptian, and Babylonian mythology, so the world of Kull and Conan were fittingly more similar to those myths).

Last edited by emillang1000; 06-21-2012 at 11:43 PM.
emillang1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:40 PM   #14
TheBiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by emillang1000 View Post
Waitwaitwaitwaitwait.... wait.

Have you ever bothered to READ Conan stories? The movie is EXTREMELY low down on the fantasy end of things for Conan.

Yes, many Conan stories are small-scale: Conan getting involved in blood feud, or raiding a deep dungeon for a special weapon, or fighting a snake-cult, etc. But just as many involve him beating the crap out of giants, assailing armies of the undead, fighting dark wizards, and punching Great Old Ones in the face

And when I say Great Old Ones, I MEAN Great. Old. Ones. We're talking Nergel, Yog-Sothoth, etc. Lovecraft and R.E. Howard were good friends, borrowed characters from one another, and Kull & Conan and the Cthulhu Mythos are considered by fans and scholars of both sources to be within the same universe. You know why Cthulhu Sleeps in R'yleh? Because Conan drop-kicked him so hard back in the Hyborian Age that the High Priest of the Great Old Ones needed to go lie down for a few millennia.

No, Conan is perfectly fit to be in a "Fantasy" setting; it's just that Conan is more in line with A Song of Ice and Fire than it is Lord of the Rings - that is, less "fairies and dwarves and elves, oh my!" High Fantasy, and more "blood and guts and grimdark sorcerers" Low or Dark Fantasy.
Yawn...sounds boring. ;) Conan is awesome.
TheBiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #15
cornixt
Banned

You've not really changed my opinion on it. I thought it was cut down fantasy, and you've told me it is (even if the order of those things is effectively backwards since Conan came before). So tailoring my fantasy deck to remove the high fantasy stuff would presumably produce something very similar to the Conan box.

A question:
Does the Conan booster use the same Door and Treasure card backs as the fantasy set? Does the boxset use those too? None of the art I've seen has shown the backs of any of the cards, only the fronts.
cornixt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:58 AM   #16
Mister Ed

Yes, same backs in both cases.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #17
Dr. Mauric

I have found that even if you are unfamiliar with a genre, or don't enjoy it as much etc. Munchkin is still very enjoyable. For me I had doubts about Cthulhu but still enjoyed the game. Even with my complete unfamiliarity with the genre the game was very good. The new game mechanics (cultists and madness) were great. And the cards were incredibly humorous even with out knowing the story behind them. Hopefully it's same with Conan. SJ Games rarely disappoint.
I'm not the biggest Conan fan but nevertheless I got mine on order! Woo hoo! :)
Dr. Mauric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #18
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mauric View Post
I have found that even if you are unfamiliar with a genre, or don't enjoy it as much etc. Munchkin is still very enjoyable. For me I had doubts about Cthulhu but still enjoyed the game. Even with my complete unfamiliarity with the genre the game was very good. The new game mechanics (cultists and madness) were great. And the cards were incredibly humorous even with out knowing the story behind them. Hopefully it's same with Conan. SJ Games rarely disappoint.
I'm not the biggest Conan fan but nevertheless I got mine on order! Woo hoo! :)
Whereas Cthulhu is my second least favorite version, precisely because I didn't get alot of the humor, and had no familiarity with the subject matter. (Zombies is my least favorite by far, because I intensely dislike the subject matter, and found the humor in that set to be too "gross-out" for my tastes.)
Old 06-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #19
TheBiff

@Mister Ed
Let makes a shorter list, what sets do you like ;). In all seriousness what sets do you think are the best and why? No hate or disrespect.
TheBiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #20
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBiff View Post
@Mister Ed
Let makes a shorter list, what sets do you like ;). In all seriousness what sets do you think are the best and why? No hate or disrespect.
The only ones I really DON'T like are Cthulhu and Zombies (with Cthulhu being fine, just not that amusing for me). I've thoroughly enjoyed all the others that I've played (the only ones I haven't played yet are Bites and TGTBATM, but not for lack of trying. And Conan, of course). I currently own Fantasy, Super, and Booty, and will likely be acquiring Star, Axe Cop, and possibly Fu. (Plus my son really liked Impossible, so maybe we'll get that eventually, too.) I love the game, just those two don't really do it for me. (Of COURSE, when I'm looking for new Card Boxes, what do they make? Cthulhu and Zombies ones. Grrrrr... ;-) )

My current favorite is Fantasy just from the sheer variety included in its massive amount of cards. Of the other two I currently own, Booty is my favorite. I love the humor in Super, being a big comic book fan, but I find it to be a bit unbalanced (everybody gets powered up rather massively in short order, and there is little one can do to prevent them from winning a combat or even slow them down much).

Last edited by Mister Ed; 06-22-2012 at 12:38 PM.

Tags
conan, munchkin