Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 09-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
Pax

Default Mask of Acheron

Enjoying the new Conan addon, but the Mask seems to be over powered (unless I'm reading it wrong).

For those who don't have it, the card allows you to discard a card from your hard to add the top monster in the discard pile to the current combat. (paraphrased) of course).

I managed to abuse the heck out of it which made for one of the most one-sided games I've played and even with the 3 other players teaming up on me, I was still able to prevent their wins long enough to eventually use up of all their PreventTheGameFromEnding cards on trying to stop me, until they were out and I won.

So was I reading it correctly, there is no limit (short of cards in hand) to the times it can be used in a combat?
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:58 PM   #2
Gospel X

Default Re: Mask of Acheron

I don't have the card sitting in front of me, so you'll have to refresh me on the text. Is it the top monster in the discard, or is it worded differently? Otherwise it sounds like your friends need to stack their monsters differently in the discard stack. Normally something like that doesn't work unless you're bringing back the topmost card. Few cards allow digging through the pile, if that is what's happening.
Gospel X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:04 PM   #3
MunchkinMan

Sometimes it is the top monster in the discards, sometimes it is the Monster on top of the discards. Those are two very different things. Do not post the exact text please. Andrew or I will take care of looking at the text in the database when we get a chance.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:36 AM   #4
SmokeRulz

From what I can tell, it's just the top-most monster on the discard pile. It doesn't necessarily have to be right on top of the discard pile, you just go through the discard until you find a monster. Bam.

I'm not sure it's overpowered, though. The ability is powered by discards, so you're still paying a cost to use it. It IS a lot more handy than waiting for a Wandering Monster card, though...
Apocalypse: 1-2, supplements
Legends: 1
SmokeRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:12 AM   #5
stopyelling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax View Post
Enjoying the new Conan addon, but the Mask seems to be over powered (unless I'm reading it wrong).

For those who don't have it, the card allows you to discard a card from your hard to add the top monster in the discard pile to the current combat. (paraphrased) of course).

I managed to abuse the heck out of it which made for one of the most one-sided games I've played and even with the 3 other players teaming up on me, I was still able to prevent their wins long enough to eventually use up of all their PreventTheGameFromEnding cards on trying to stop me, until they were out and I won.

So was I reading it correctly, there is no limit (short of cards in hand) to the times it can be used in a combat?
From what I can tell, you forced someone to keep fighting the same monster until they ran out of cards allowing you to win. That's how I picture what you are saying.

If that is correct, did they not fight two monsters at once ever? If they did- they could have placed a weaker moster on top of the one you kept forcing them to play. Since the active player gets to decide how to discar the cards at the end of their turn (say after a battle) this would have stopped your cycle.

Ex. Someone loses to a lv.20 monster. Goes into discard. Next round, no monster is drawn, and you force summon the lv.20 kicking their butt. They lose and it goes into discards. Next round, same thing. Next round, a monster is drawn. You summon the lv.20. Ouch- double monsters. They lose again- BOTH go into discard pile, except the monster recently drawn is placed ONTOP of the lv.20, meaning that if you use the mask again you won't summon the lv.20 but the most recent monster.

Obviously if that is still enough to push people around then a) lucky you! and b) how many cards do you have to discard?!

Personally I like using the mask the other way around.

I like summoning weak monsters into battle then grab someones help with Kneepads to get quick two levels. Sometimes back to back.
stopyelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:58 AM   #6
Mister Ed

I think the issue at hand is, can you use it multiple times in the same combat? So can you discard THREE cards and drag THREE monsters from the discards into combat? If so, and if it allows you to go through the discards looking for monsters rather than requiring them to be on top, then it is, indeed, formidable. Not many people could easily cope with you adding the last three or four monsters into their combat.

As I read the wording (don't worry, I won't quote it here) it does allow you to dig down through the discards and take the first monster you come across. I was assuming that this was a once per combat thing, but on careful reading I don't think using it multiple times in a single combat is explicitly EXCLUDED by the wording, so we'll have to wait for an official word on the intent...
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:44 AM   #7
MunchkinMan

Okay, I think we understand the problem. Let Andrew and I have time to discuss, please. Thanks!
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:42 AM   #8
stopyelling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I think the issue at hand is, can you use it multiple times in the same combat? So can you discard THREE cards and drag THREE monsters from the discards into combat? If so, and if it allows you to go through the discards looking for monsters rather than requiring them to be on top, then it is, indeed, formidable. Not many people could easily cope with you adding the last three or four monsters into their combat.

As I read the wording (don't worry, I won't quote it here) it does allow you to dig down through the discards and take the first monster you come across. I was assuming that this was a once per combat thing, but on careful reading I don't think using it multiple times in a single combat is explicitly EXCLUDED by the wording, so we'll have to wait for an official word on the intent...
Ran into this problem today. They demanded a fair ruling. I told them that I really really doubt that it's "play 3 discard, get the top three monsters on the discard deck and so on-"

Would appreciate a ruling here. :) (Take your time of course, I am just bumping you)
Old 09-25-2011, 06:43 AM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopyelling View Post
Would appreciate a ruling here. :) (Take your time of course, I am just bumping you)
Please don't do that. "Bumping" is rude.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #10
stopyelling

Oh I am sorry. :(

Tags
acheron, combat, conan, mask