Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-23-2021, 02:46 PM   #31
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Mix and Match 2021 (66 Combos)

Combination 14: Fort Pindos
14) Dungeon Fantasy Encounters 4: Ring Fort and Renaissance Venice: Spies of Venice
Empires of commerce have some odd features, not the least of which is isolated island fortresses. Fort Pindos is on a small island, but it is well fortified, well supplied, and ideally located. The fort plays an obvious military role, but its an important stop for the courier system, and an important hub for the intelligence gathering of the venetians.

Important operations pass through fort pindos all the time, and its commanders are in the thick of it. When an ambassador needs a job done, its worth checking if fort pindos has any useful gentlemen in need of work...

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 03:30 PM   #32
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Combination 14: Fort Pindos
14) Dungeon Fantasy Encounters 4: Ring Fort and Renaissance Venice: Spies of Venice
Empires of commerce have some odd features, not the least of which is isolated island fortresses. Fort Pindos is on a small island, but it is well fortified, well supplied, and ideally located. The fort plays an obvious military role, but its an important stop for the courier system, and an important hub for the intelligence gathering of the venetians.

Important operations pass through fort pindos all the time, and its commanders are in the thick of it. When an ambassador needs a job done, its worth checking if fort pindos has any useful gentlemen in need of work...
Sticking the Ring Fort on an island is a darn good idea, especially if there's enough land area to support the notional "surrounding villages" to make the required imports to feed the place possible without relying on supply ships.

It really takes on the "home base" role, with travel by galley (if there were only a book in playtest for that...) serving the likely role of "transporter beam" to get adventurers where they must go.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 09:55 AM   #33
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 15a: Curse of the Skull
15) Dungeon Fantasy Encounters 4: Ring Fort and Dungeon Fantasy Adventure 4: Two-Page Dungeons

Land is difficult to come by. At least land that will stay free of monsters. Recently, reports have come in of a fertile volcanic island in the northern ocean, discovered by a ship blown west of hlifborg. Islands are valuable because once land-based monsters are driven off, its harder for them to return. Reclaiming this island from the curse that did in the last group of settlers will be difficult, but well worth it. Once the curse is broken, a lot of the island's previous infrastructure will still be available, with good land and even a previously built city. Vegard Ivarson wants this island reclaimed: it will add glory to his name and justify the huge expense of hlifborg. He's been encouraging adventurers to break the curse, hoping a group will succeed.

The curse is centered on the skull of a former king, buried deep underground in a lava chamber by an Scorceror the king had a falling out with. This curse reanimates the dead of the island as soon as they fall. Breaking the curse requires placing the dead king's skull (or its fragments) in an jar sealed with a special stopper and burying that jar in the floor of the grand temple of the ruins. The Scorceror knew of the attempt to break his curse, and did what he could to stop it. The seal was being shipped in from overseas, so he ordered the dead of the island to hide themselves in the harbor. He slew the high priest of the island and set traps to summon demons in it. In his efforts, he summoned one demon too many, and was slain.

Uncovering the mystery will take work, but clues abound. The Ship that brought the enchanted stopper is still near the harbor (it drifted away and ran aground), and its ship's log will record what it was bringing to the island, and why. Its just a matter of fishing out the stopper from all the cargo that the tide has strewn about. The high priest's journal, hidden in the temple, also record how to break the curse, and mentions the incoming ship. The local ice dragon knows the story... though he's a completely separate problem. A few trips back and forth may be required, but Hlifborg is close enough to make the journey not too difficult.

Combination 15b: Fall of Hlifborg
15) Dungeon Fantasy Encounters 4: Ring Fort and Dungeon Fantasy Adventure 4: Two-Page Dungeons

Taking out an entire fortress is difficult, especially when it has a watchtower gaurding the approach. But if it wasn't difficult, they wouldn't be asking you to do it. Take out the watchtower, and try to open the fort's gates so that troops can get through.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 08-24-2021 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-24-2021, 10:02 AM   #34
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Sticking the Ring Fort on an island is a darn good idea, especially if there's enough land area to support the notional "surrounding villages" to make the required imports to feed the place possible without relying on supply ships.

The port really stands out to me: when I place it I'm always asking myself "what body of water is the port on?". It adds a lot to the fort.

I'm curious: can fishing villages support the fort? presumably the fisherman are trading for at least some grain, but I'm a little unsure about the economics of all that. 1200 is a lot of people.

Old 08-25-2021, 02:35 PM   #35
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 16: The Grissom Skyfort
16) Dungeon Fantasy Encounters 4: Ring Fort and Space Atlas: Grissom

There are many ways to build a skyship and traverse the wild blue. Some are sealed balloons lifted by air. Some are ordinary ships enchanted by powerful magic. Some are living creatures, attatched to carriages, or shaped into functional craft themselves. Some are constructed of materials with odd properties.

The folk of the Grissom Cluster use ships lifted by skystone, which they mine from the barren rocks of their cluster. Their ships are not particuarly fast or cheap, but they're the only craft allowed in the cluster: the Grissomites agressively keep outsiders away from their skystone mines.

Deep inside the Grissom skystone mines is a secret: an ancient device that can transmute rock into skystone at a distance, raising rocks out of the poisonous mirk of the below into the habitable regions. At least, that's what Grissom's sages say it does. They're trying to find out more, and they don't want anyone coming close to it. They're build a fort to protect the site, and to keep people away.

But should they really be tinkering with this device? If it was so powerful, why did its makers leave it embedded in a fairly poor set of rocks? What will actually happen when it wakes up? Its up to the PC's to stop Grissom from awakening their engine again... if they can get past its defenses.

Old 08-26-2021, 11:30 AM   #36
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 17: The Hlifborg Saga
17) Dungeon Fantasy Encounters 4: Ring Fort and How to Be a GURPS GM: High-Powered Origins

A band of explorers has arrived in this new land, inhabited by beasts, monsters, and forces yet more mysterious. Ordinarily, they would not dare enter such a hostile land, but they are led by great heroes of lengendary birth, blessed by the gods with power beyond that of mere mortals. These heroes shall hunt the beasts, slay the monsters, and confront the most powerful forces. These heroes may be mighty warriors with the blood of the gods and strength beyond mortal men, Canny wizards commanding the forces of nature themselves, or Monsters fighting on the side of mortals.

Their seed of a city is tough as far as mortals go, but still delicate. They must protect it and guide it until it grows into something more. Something that will sing songs of their founding heroes for generations.

Old 08-27-2021, 06:02 AM   #37
Christopher R. Rice

inserts [Tony Stark I need it .gif]

Seriously. I like it. I'd play that.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:41 AM   #38
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 18a: A Ruin Worth Defending
18) Dungeon Fantasy Encounters 4: Ring Fort and Encounters: The Mysterious Airfield
Amidst the burned out ruins of north america is a fort that makes no sense. Its in southern nevada, but some ways away from the river that makes life in that part of the world possible. Its built on the remains of an airfield, and hosts a powerful and agressive force with a voracious hunger for slaves. How the force gets its food and water is unknown, as is why they live in such a remote place.

The secret? underneath the fortress is an old government lab. There are many precious things in this lab, but the most vital is a portal. Ivarson, the warlike cheif of the fort, has found a way back through the portal... but its dangerous and hazardous to health. He is sending slaves through to...somewhere else. perhaps somewhen else. Somewhere pristine with abundant food. But people can't live on the other side yet. Perhaps with some more experimentation they can, but for now he's sending slaves through to gather abundant food and water, and sending raiding parties far and wide to get slaves. And watching the strange powers that develope from living too close to the portal.

The players could be:

1) Slaves suffering a slow death in a tantalizing paradise as they plan their escape or uprising
2) Wastelanders confronting the tyranny of the mysteriously well supplied slavers and dealing with the moral dilemnas they then inherit.
3) Psis in a similar situation to #1, but with a bit more power, a bit more comfort, and a bit less freedom

Combination 18b: Boomsticks at Hlifborg
18) Dungeon Fantasy Encounters 4: Ring Fort and Encounters: The Mysterious Airfield

The Portal at Venus base has been opened, and its comes out nearby a viking fort. Top secret US personel are trying to figure out just where they are, just why the portal works this way, just how close they are to wiping out their time-line... and if this place is really earth or not. The Vikings are watching these powerful newcomers who appeared from nowhere. They might be trouble...

Old 08-30-2021, 03:08 PM   #39
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

combination 19: The Haunted Coast
19) Dungeon Fantasy Encounters 4: Ring Fort and Dungeon Fantasy 22: Gates

The Haunted Coast is place double-blessed and thrice-cursed with an abundance of portals. Flickering in and out of existance between the trees and over the waves, the portals bring all manner of strange monsters to the land. It also brings opportunities for rich trade and plunder. Hoping to both stem the tide of invaders and exploit the gates, Vegard Ivarson has been appointed as the cheif of a strong fort, a place of safety from which warriors may do battle with the unknown, protecting the kingdom. And just perhaps making themselves and Vegard very rich.

Old 08-30-2021, 08:51 PM   #40
Christopher R. Rice

I would also play this. :-D

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote