Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 09-20-2021, 08:31 PM   #1
HeatDeath

Default Car Wars 6e Dice Roller, v1.2 - Now with One-click rerolls!

Announcing Car Wars 6e Dice Roller v1.2 !

Major new feature: One-click rerolls!

Also PDF Documentation!

This should be the last update for awhile.

Please sent any questions of comments to dsunley@gmail.com , or post here.

A full manual is available at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Download here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u8a21sztu...4Qd2gjOGa?dl=0

================================================== =
I have created a dice roller application for Car Wars 6e for Windows.

It allows the user to enter a list of dice, and roll them all at once, showing each individual die result, both textually and graphically, and summarizing the results.

The UI allows the user to reroll individual dice within the roll while holding the rest unchanged.

Keywords are supported for automatically rolling the attack dice for specific weapons, and for maneuver rolls.

The application is available to all for free, and includes appropriate copyright and trademark notices per the SJGames Online policy here: http://www.sjgames.com/general/online_policy.html .

A Discord 'bot version is planned.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:09 PM   #2
HeatDeath

Default Re: Car Wars 6e Dice Roller, v1.2 - Now with One-click rerolls!

If you experience any issues with the application, download a fresh copy.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:06 AM   #3
HeatDeath

A Discord Bot version of the Car Wars 6e Dice Roller is now available online, at vripley's "Unofficial Car Wars" Discord server, in the #dice-tray channel.

Invite here: https://discord.gg/3r4R7cq

It uses the same commands as the Windows version, for which a full manual is available here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
Old 11-22-2021, 11:06 AM   #4
beetle496

Thanks! Any chance of posting the source code so I might see if I can get Xcode to compile for Mac?

Or it there an iOS version already?
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 06:45 AM   #5
ChargersWI

Along with iOS, any plans for an Android version?
ChargersWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 04:41 PM   #6
HeatDeath

I'm going to post the source code and project files (C#, Visual Studio 2017) for the current version to Dropbox within the next day or three. I just need to figure out the appropriate Creative Commons License to put it under, and if I have to put notifications in the source code files, etc.

I do have ideas for a few additional features to add to the Windows version UI. I haven't had a huge amount of time for recreational coding since I got the current version built a few months ago.
  • Changing the input string edit control to a combobox with dropdown of previous strings [probably pretty easy]
  • Colored buttons to add dice to build a string [noticeably harder]
  • Hover over dice to show all 6 sides [not too bad, but needs some research]
The architecture is a little funky - the Windows version is a very simple UI wrapped around the core classes for the Discord-bot version of the dice roller, which was always the intended primary target platform. So everything is based on the organizing principle of parsing an input string and producing an output string, which is necessary for the Discord bot. I would have architected a pure GUI version with no intention of supporting discord quite differently.

I have no plans at this time to build an Android or iOS version - particularly not iOS as I have neither a current iOS nor MacOS device. Also, mobile apps (as opposed to PC applications) are excluded by SJGames current online policy.

[At some point in my copious spare time I should really dig back into the Discord.NET libraries that form the Discord bot version and figure out a way to make it reconnect when my home wifi goes down.]

Last edited by HeatDeath; 11-25-2021 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-26-2021, 07:21 PM   #7
beetle496

Thanks @HeatDeath. I have done exactly one re-compile under Xcode, and that was years ago, and I cannot even remember the exact project. I think it was just an older game that worked for Linux using Wine. I suspect the core classes you reference might be a hard stop for me. OTOH, it also sounds like some things are very CL oriented, and that fits other noodling I have done.
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 12:39 AM   #8
HeatDeath

Source code for the current version can be downloaded here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v1qkvrm5ps...ource.zip?dl=0
Old 07-20-2023, 12:43 AM   #9
Churajnin

Even though it's been a solid two years since you dropped the bomb with the Car Wars 6e Dice Roller v1.2, I couldn't resist showing some love for your awesome creation! One-click rerolls and PDF documentation? Man, you really leveled up the game back then! Thanks for sharing this gem with us, even after all this time! Your dedication to making this available for free, following the SJGames Online policy, is truly appreciated! If you ever in need of a dice to roll, you can check out roll a d12. It's an online dice you can roll any time to help yourself make some decisions.

Last edited by Churajnin; 07-24-2023 at 02:28 AM.
Churajnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 04:31 PM   #10
HeatDeath

Thank you!

I really appreciate the feedback!

This made my whole day!