Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2021, 03:49 PM   #381
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Yes, he will need to take new steps to avoid the psi-suppressants.
Since Daymar's table-mates still all view him as above suspicion, I believe, he will again try to subvert the new kitchen staff. He is looking for opportunities for skin contact, either in the course of the meal or stopping by before or after a meal to thank them for their efforts.

Are their any precautions that have been put in place since the presence of dreadstormers became known/strongly suspected?
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 09:17 PM   #382
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Hua starts slipping away from Thibi at innocuous times, and gently presses her to say if she noticed or not.

Quote:
[241] 21-01-10 05:15:43 CET
Stealth
3d6 <= 16 : 2 + 6 + 1 = 9 ... success

[242] 21-01-10 05:17:16 CET
Savoir-Faire
3d6 <= 14 : 2 + 3 + 6 = 11 ... success
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:20 AM   #383
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Alright; Pacifica's fast-talk:

3d6 <= 13
2 + 4 + 5 = 11 ... success
They bring up two seperate scenarios. In the first, they suspect that someone is a dreadstormer. They say they'll report it to their immediate superior and one other person in the command chain (as is policy). The favorite person in her mess is one or the other of the NCO's of the Gunners who sit behind them in the control center.



In the second situation, they don't think they'll have time to inform the command chain and make a plan. In that case, they'd shout "dread stormer" and pretty much run away, hopefully barricading the enemy in the compartment behind them. If there were enough of them, they might pick up nearby objects and attack, but the main priority would be to raise the alarm.



Nejora says she'd stab the <explicative> when they weren't looking, but people ask what she'd do if she wasn't quite sure, and she doesn't have a better answer than to tell the questioner to shut up. You're not sure if she'd do that or not.



Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Hua starts slipping away from Thibi at innocuous times, and gently presses her to say if she noticed or not.
Most buddies would say they noticed, but then care to one degree or another (hey, who were you with?). Thibi seems to just flat out not notice when she's gone for minutes at a time... until seven minutes later she'll suddenly notice and feel abandoned, and go off looking for Hua. She causes a fair commotion when she does that, because she asks the people around her if they've seen Hua, though she won't officially report anything. The NCO will still probably notice. If Thibi notices Hua gone at all.



Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Since Daymar's table-mates still all view him as above suspicion, I believe, he will again try to subvert the new kitchen staff. He is looking for opportunities for skin contact, either in the course of the meal or stopping by before or after a meal to thank them for their efforts.
You can certainly try touching them as they dish out the tofu stir fry and rice, or say hello afterwards. Note that there are four different Chef's to corrupt.



Please make the rolls to dodge this particular day of meals.



Quote:
Are their any precautions that have been put in place since the presence of dreadstormers became known/strongly suspected?

Well, they switched your cooks... that's a precaution. You probably need to elude the entire room now, not just your mess. You also notice that there is security in the area a lot more often now, especially during meals, and in teams of four rather than of two. Its not every time, but you notice it. As there are only about 30 security on duty at a time... that's a fair amount of resources.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 02:35 PM   #384
GnomesofZurich
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
You can certainly try touching them as they dish out the tofu stir fry and rice, or say hello afterwards. Note that there are four different Chef's to corrupt.

Please make the rolls to dodge this particular day of meals.

Well, they switched your cooks... that's a precaution. You probably need to elude the entire room now, not just your mess. You also notice that there is security in the area a lot more often now, especially during meals, and in teams of four rather than of two. Its not every time, but you notice it. As there are only about 30 security on duty at a time... that's a fair amount of resources.
Here are three filch rolls for dodging meals.
[248] 21-01-11 22:29:19 CET

Filch

3d6 <= 13
1: 6 + 1 + 1 = 8 ... success
2: 2 + 5 + 5 = 12 ... success
3: 3 + 5 + 4 = 12 ... success

[249] 21-01-11 22:31:58 CET

Mental Surgery for chefs/cooks

3d6 <= 16
1: 5 + 3 + 1 = 9 ... success
2: 4 + 1 + 3 = 8 ... success
3: 1 + 1 + 5 = 7 ... success
4: 5 + 6 + 4 = 15 ... success if the cook resists I'd like to use Luck to reroll

The cooks are each getting the same assortment of disadvantages as last time: Delusion (We should use salt instead of the psi-suppressants) [-5] and Delusion (The flour is contaminated) [-5].
__________________
Secret: Not a Gnome. (Actually a Dwarf with Dwarfism).
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 03:04 PM   #385
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Most buddies would say they noticed, but then care to one degree or another (hey, who were you with?). Thibi seems to just flat out not notice when she's gone for minutes at a time... until seven minutes later she'll suddenly notice and feel abandoned, and go off looking for Hua. She causes a fair commotion when she does that, because she asks the people around her if they've seen Hua, though she won't officially report anything. The NCO will still probably notice. If Thibi notices Hua gone at all.
Well there's no way Hua would know 7 is the margin of success (technically 9, but who's counting?)... So let's trundle along. I'll:
-> Holdout the improvised lockpick
-> Stealth from the Mess and into Kitchen A
-> Pick the supplement lock
-> Grab the fake pills and Stealth into Kitchen B
-> Pick the supplement lock
-> Swap the fake pills and the real pills and Stealth into Kitchen A
-> Stash the real pills and Stealth back to the Mess.

Can I get a +1 for already picking this kind of lock (or at least this specific lock)?

Rollin'
Quote:
[243] 21-01-11 22:22:39 CET
Holdout
3d6 <= 16 : 3 + 6 + 2 = 11 ... success

[244] 21-01-11 22:23:19 CET
Stealth
3d6 <= 16 : 5 + 4 + 4 = 13 ... success

[245] 21-01-11 22:23:56 CET
Lockpicking (at -4)
3d6 <= 10 : 4 + 6 + 5 = 15 ... failure
I'll try twice more before pausing for random event/potential scrub.

Quote:
[246] 21-01-11 22:25:38 CET
Lockpicking (at -4)
3d6 <= 10 : 5 + 5 + 5 = 15 ... failure

[247] 21-01-11 22:25:50 CET
Lockpicking (at -4)
3d6 <= 10 : 3 + 4 + 1 = 8 ... success
Back on track, grabbing the fakes, leaving the safe ajar (but not wide open), leaving for other kitchen:
Quote:
[250] 21-01-11 22:59:16 CET
Stealth
3d6 <= 16 : 2 + 1 + 6 = 9 ... success

[251] 21-01-11 23:00:01 CET
Lockpicking (at -4)
3d6 <= 10 : 1 + 4 + 1 = 6 ... success
Great, swapping the pills with the fakes, heading back to Kitchen A and returning:
Quote:
[252] 21-01-11 23:02:28 CET
Stealth
3d6 <= 16 : 1 + 5 + 5 = 11 ... success

[253] 21-01-11 23:03:02 CET
Stealth
3d6 <= 16 : 6 + 1 + 4 = 11 ... success
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:48 AM   #386
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
Here are three filch rolls for dodging meals.
Daymar thinks he escaped detection... but one can never be sure. The room is paranoid, and he notices at least four incidents where table mates make sure their buddies eat up.


Quote:
Mental Surgery for chefs/cooks


The cooks are each getting the same assortment of disadvantages as last time: Delusion (We should use salt instead of the psi-suppressants) [-5] and Delusion (The flour is contaminated) [-5].
Quote:
Rolling acting for Daymar to make chef touching look natural:
3d6
6 + 3 + 2 = 11
Daymar's stomach growls as he thanks for chefs for meals he has not eaten-- and then makes sure he can eat the next ones.



Daymar has countered the attempt to remove his powers, at least for now.



Wow, its been a while since you used luck. Its weird how more players generate more posts.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Well there's no way Hua would know 7 is the margin of success (technically 9, but who's counting?)... So let's trundle along. I'll:
-> Holdout the improvised lockpick
-> Stealth from the Mess and into Kitchen A
-> Pick the supplement lock
-> Grab the fake pills and Stealth into Kitchen B
-> Pick the supplement lock
-> Swap the fake pills and the real pills and Stealth into Kitchen A
-> Stash the real pills and Stealth back to the Mess.

I'll try twice more before pausing for random event/potential scrub.

Back on track, grabbing the fakes, leaving the safe ajar (but not wide open), leaving for other kitchen:

Great, swapping the pills with the fakes, heading back to Kitchen A and returning:

Hua has a nerve-wracking three minutes where she fights with the lock, but then the door opens and she can swap the pills. Much quicker than last time, when she had to cook.


She returns, and Thibi is none the wiser.



Quote:
Can I get a +1 for already picking this kind of lock (or at least this specific lock)?
For that specific lock? Yes.

Hua is looking at about 36 hours to the next meeting, and 48 until her powers start to return. In 96 hours, on day 19, all three dreadstormers should have their powers online. In the meantime, she needs to dodge flour based meals.



That dinner (sunday, day 15), Hua is fed fried meat in a savory sauce over rice. She'll need to avoid the rice. She has been 8 hours without suppressants.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 01-12-2021 at 09:00 AM.
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:52 AM   #387
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

I'll copy Daymar's strategy to deal with the rice:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
[Day] is going to try to surreptitiously trip another diner walking by with a tray of food, and use the mess to dump his own at least partially on himself, and then rush off to clean himself up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I'll need:
a DX+2 roll to dump the food on the collision properly
An acting roll to make it look convincing
An influence roll to leave the scene in comparatively good graces
Quote:
[259] 21-01-13 16:51:53 CET
Savoir-Faire
3d6 <= 14 : 5 + 4 + 3 = 12 ... success
[258] 21-01-13 16:50:47 CET
Acting
3d6 <= 16 : 6 + 1 + 6 = 13 ... success
[257] 21-01-13 16:49:50 CET
DX+2
3d6 <= 16 : 1 + 2 + 1 = 4 ... success
Well that went cleanly.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:29 PM   #388
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I'll copy Daymar's strategy to deal with the rice:

Well that went cleanly.
Yes it did. The next day there is no flour in the food, and on day 17 breakfast doesn't have anything to dodge either. Hua has been 48 hours without suppressants, and her powers are beginning to return, at about the rate of 3 points every two hours.


Hua is scheduled to meet with her fellow dreadstormers on the morning of day 17 (Tuesday), during her shift. She might find a way to attend, she might just miss the meeting, or she might find a way to notify one of her fellow dreadstormers that her schedule has changed and she can't make it.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:59 PM   #389
Hide
 
Hide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

OOC: After the lunch, the moment they are walking alone, Pacifica asks to Nejora (privately):

IC: Hey Nejora, you said you gonna stab the <explicative> "dredstrummers"... You got a "shiv" or what? Because that would be really cool. Once I heard of a soldier that took a great number of enemies with his survival knife; he ran into the forest and took them down one by one.

Pacifica (acting w/Nejora):
3d6 <= 15
5 + 3 + 6 = 14 ... success

Pacifica's fast-talk (Nejora):
3d6 <= 13
3 + 5 + 2 = 10 ... success

OOC: She tries to find out if Nejora has a knife. Pacifica spices her comments and interest on knives by describing something akin to the iconic scene of Rambo “hunting” cops in the forest. After this she continues the day as normal (well, depending on what you say).

Pacifica eventually takes the suggestions (and the official procedures) to put together a plan to "catch a Dreadstormer". She presents said plan to her colleagues during next day’s lunch time.

This is the "traps" roll for, I picked traps because she takes the ideas of others and makes a plan, including her own ideas. I also took a savoir-faire (military) roll, to include (and prevent violations) in regard of the official procedures.

Pacifica (traps):
3d6 <= 12
6 + 2 + 1 = 9 ... success

Pacifica's Savoir-Faire (Military):
3d6 <= 14
2 + 3 + 4 = 9 ... success

She suggests that "the team" (i.e. Pacifica's lunch time group) should take the presented approach instead of "improvising". She elaborates on the value of a "support network", something that must be established among "the team". Having information and a plan will help the effectiveness of response under "unexpected situations" (or so Pacifica explains).

Here I take the "administration" roll and a "fast-talk" roll. The administration part is to back her presentation and to elaborate on risk assessment and sell the idea of the "support network". Fast-talk is there if you require an influence roll.

Pacifica's Administration:
3d6 <= 14
2 + 3 + 1 = 6 ... success

Pacifica's fast-talk (Table):
3d6 <= 13
5 + 2 + 6 = 13 ... success

The goal: Having the guys at the table act as beacons of information for Pacifica, her exposition sense will help her sort the information effectively. And, if they happen to spot a real Dreadstormer, she will have a better sense of their actions.

During the lunch she makes small pauses to eat, and gives them a chance to make an exchange of opinions (about the presentation) and perhaps pick "unwanted food" from her colleagues. Acting will serve to let others think Pacifica feels sort of sick after the lunch, just in case she needs a cover for the "meeting day" with the Dread Stormers.

Pacifica (Acting):
3d6 <= 15
4 + 4 + 4 = 12 ... success
__________________
- 画龍点睛。Hide。
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:01 PM   #390
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: DreadStormers [IC]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
her powers are beginning to return, at about the rate of 3 points every two hours.
So depending on how talent/skill fits into this, I'll have Photorefraction 7 by breakfast tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Hua is scheduled to meet with her fellow dreadstormers on the morning of day 17 (Tuesday), during her shift. She might find a way to attend, she might just miss the meeting, or she might find a way to notify one of her fellow dreadstormers that her schedule has changed and she can't make it.
Hm... Can I make an IQ roll to retroactively establish a hiding place for messages in case meeting time cannot be made? Failing that, can I get close to the meeting place at some point during my shift (hopefully before)? What are the odds someone would find any message I leave at the meeting place?
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.