Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 09-13-2009, 09:24 AM   #131
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: [IC] In Nomine -- The Redemption of Eli

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarcana55 View Post
"Well, we all need to respect everyone's views and beliefs. I am sure we can all readily agree on that. Now, we just need to agree on certain boundaries. First off, what are we going to tell people when we question them? It should be something we can all agree on and feel comfortable with. Second, if anyone has any...hesitations or personal mores, we really should discuss them now."
"I'm open to ideas," Rudy says. "And I've put my limits on the table. Frankly, I don't expect that to really come up again -- other than Halleran, I can't think of any other Gardener from this spot we'd need to talk to. You guys tell me how you want it done with everyone else and I'll ..." she chuckles at the thought of the next words, "...run with it."

She suddenly looks a little embarrassed. "But here we've been yakking and yakking when H.R. needs his thinking time." Rudy turns her apologetic gaze on him. "Sorry, H.R. Was there anything you wanted to add before Soma here takes us into tactics? If you still want more time, that's OK, too."

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #132
ladyarcana55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
She suddenly looks a little embarrassed. "But here we've been yakking and yakking when H.R. needs his thinking time." Rudy turns her apologetic gaze on him. "Sorry, H.R. Was there anything you wanted to add before Soma here takes us into tactics? If you still want more time, that's OK, too."
Soma gets a pained look on her face and she looks at Heb Rhoneniel.

"I am so sorry, my dear friend! Now i know I've been away for far too long. Please, take your time."
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:09 PM   #133
Rocket Man

As Rudy waits for the ancient Seraph to speak, she sits near a flowerbed and begins to pull stray weeds and remove dead stems. Her hands work lovingly, but precisely and without hesitation.

She winks at Soma. "Sure you wouldn't rather join me down here?" she says. "You look like a Friend that's comfortable getting dirt under her fingernails."

Old 09-15-2009, 02:32 PM   #134
ladyarcana55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
She winks at Soma. "Sure you wouldn't rather join me down here?" she says. "You look like a Friend that's comfortable getting dirt under her fingernails."
"I didn't know we could!"

She immediately joins Rudy and it is apparent that she is far more comfortable among the grass and flowers.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:59 PM   #135
Acolyte

“Thank you for your patience, Rhoda.” Heb Rhoneniel places himself at the center of the group, able to see everyone’s faces and in turn be easily heard by him, for he speaks in a low voice. “I must begin by apologizing for shouting at you, Jedediah-Bezek. I was unaware that you,” and here he indicates Baz, Naomi, and Rudy, “held such disparate assumptions about our mission, compared to Somasti and myself.” He inhales deeply and exhales, whistling through his teeth in a manner reminiscent of the whistling of whales. “However, I feel that is it vital we immediately and completely discuss this issue, because on it rests the future of our mission, the importance of which should not be understated.”

“The entire reason our Archangels have charged us with this mission, now, is because Lord Dominic has announced that he is expanding and prioritizing his investigation of Eli. That means that any Servitors of Judgment we or our informants encounter within a week will have relayed any information to him directly.”

“I have no doubt that many angels and demons the world over are seeking Eli at this moment. I myself had planned to do so when my duties allowed, to discuss my Word candidacy, but there are any number of reasons for seeking Creation, nefarious and innocent. Even Lord Dominic is not liable to view every angel seeking Eli as a threat to his investigation.”

Heb Rhoneniel’s voice grows deeper and harsher. “But you must remember our mission. Our mission is not, as you misspoke to the Ofanite of Flowers, Jedidiah-Bezek, to assist Eli in his endeavor. It is to determine what that endeavor is, and then either summon our Superiors or to assist him and then summon them. We represent the most direct effort by some of Eli’s greatest Heavenly allies to locate and assist—if necessary, mind you—him, and that most certainly makes us a threat to Dominic’s investigation, as the Wild Many—Lord Jordi—said.”

He takes another few breaths, reviewing the next phase of his argument. “Lady Zadkiel told us that we needed to be circumspect, on account of Judgment. While Lady Novalis did not command us to subtlety, as you note, Rhoda, she did warn that a lack of tact could ease our way or make our mission more difficult to accomplish. It is my belief that, given the circumstances, spreading news of our mission is much more likely to hinder us than help us. Eli himself most likely stands in opposition to our goal.”

“If it is True, as I believe, that circumspection is necessary, than the question becomes a matter of degree. Jedidiah-Bezek, to speak freely I am offended that you would interpret my request for discretion as an endorsement of deception, as I am sure you know that the two are extremely different. If you don’t mind, Somasti, I will elaborate on your point about that difference. As Seraph of this party I will neither condone nor encourage the spread of lies, for I have no desire to become Balseraph.” He spits that word out. “However, I will not suggest that you or any of us blab the entirety of Truth to every human, ethereal, or celestial that we encounter. In the same manner that the Will of God is for the Truth of angelic interference in humanity to be concealed behind a veil of discretion—something you seem proud of your ability to fulfill, Rhoda—our mission can be screened with tact so that it has what I see as a greater chance in meeting with success!”

“This does not go counter to my nature among the Most Holy, and indeed more closely fits the direct orders of our Superiors. And it seems as though all of you see this. I still maintain that it was a mistake to reveal as much as we have already, but that cannot be reversed.”

“That said, I feel as though our approach towards further questioning should take one of two methods. One is the method suggested by Nechama, that we rely on the authority of our Superior-given mission, asking only relevant questions without explaining the reasons why we want the answers. This does appeal to me because it does not offer even a hint of guile, but even an incautious listener will be able to quickly correlate our questions on the topic of Eli to our supposedly-secret mission and conclude precisely what we do not want him to conclude. The other method is what Somasti has suggested, of inquiring about Eli without revealing the extent and organization of our mission. As I have previously mentioned, it is not disingenuous for me to express a desire to see him, as I have business to discuss with the Archangel of Creation. Somasti seems to have an honest curiosity to meet Eli. What about the rest of you? Can you Truthfully express fervent interest in locating Eli outside of this mission?”

Last edited by Acolyte; 09-15-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Acolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:29 PM   #136
Rocket Man

"My, my," Rhoda says in amusement as the flow of words from H.R. slows and then ceases. "Still waters certainly do run deep, don't they?"

Still on the grass, she spins a stray bloom between her fingers absently-mindedly. "The short answer to your last question is yes, HR," she says. "I do have a separate reason for seeking out Eli, though it may be a bit early yet on that count. It involves ... well, one of those matters of discretion you mentioned. I don't really have permission from Halleran to go farther than that yet."

Old 09-15-2009, 10:09 PM   #137
Dalillama

"Your apology is accepted, Heb Rhoneniel." Baz bows grave;y in the Seraph's direction. "And I can indeed say with absolute Truth that I would like to speak with Eli as well, on diverse subjects."
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:15 PM   #138
ladyarcana55

Soma is listening to her friend's speech intently, but she does not stop in her task of removing weeds. She does it almost absent-mindedly but it is obvious that she has done this many times. Instinctively she knows which does not belong and needs to be removed. When the others answer, she smiles, happy to see that everyone is getting along.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:00 PM   #139
Andygal

Naomi sits down at one of the tables while H.R is talking, listening intently, after he finishes she folds her hands on her lap, tapping her thighs with her fingers before speaking.

"I think that sums up the situation rather nicely, thank you H.R, and yes, I also have a personal curiosity about where Eli is, and what he's been up to, as well as being worried about the stress his absence has put on his Servitors."
Andygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:27 AM   #140
Rocket Man

"Sounds like we've all got our reasons, all right," Rudy says. She tightens a shoelace, stands up from her spot on the grass and stretches a moment. "So what's next?"

She removes her helmet -- the first time anyone in the group has seen her do it -- and frees her hair from its tie for a moment. As she talks, she shakes out her hair, runs her hands through it, and then loosely ties it up again.

"I'm willing to bet we all know at least one Artist," she says, her hands busy. "If you don't object, H.R., I'd suggest we start there: break up into two groups to cover some ground and track down our old friends, to see if we can get any hints on where he is or what he's up to. Discreetly, of course," she adds with a teasing smile.

"Earlier, you said each of us should take a Friend," she adds, retying the knot. "That's a great idea ... they can see a lot of contacts and clues the rest of us would miss. I'd like to add something, though.

"This group seems to have its quiet folks," she smiles at Naomi and Soma, "its talkers," she winks at Baz and indicates herself with amusement, "and one really quiet guy who's got a lot to say when he puts his mind to it." She sketches out a salute to HR before putting her helmet back on.

"I think we need to avoid putting all the talkers or all the silent types on one team. Let's spread out the energy so we can all keep moving."

Tags
eli, in nomine, net play, pbp