Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 09-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #121
Acolyte

Default Re: [IC] In Nomine -- The Redemption of Eli

As soon as the others depart, Heb Rhoneniel strongly emotes his disapproval and worry.

"I must apologize; it has been a long time since I have had to do so much talking in the intellectual language of humans and not the emotive language of whales. If you would all give me some time to gather my thoughts, I will explain at length my feelings regarding the difference between subtlety and deception, and the role of each in our divine mission."

He takes a deep breath, obviously very perturbed. But he's also obviously unwilling to try to say something until he's got it all laid out in his head. He waits for, hopefully, a lull in the conversation.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:27 PM   #122
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Rudy waits, in a surprisingly patient manner for a Wheel. "Go ahead, H.R.," she says gently. "Take all the time you need. Every flower has to grow in its own time."

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:50 PM   #123
Dalillama

Baz raises an eyebrow. "Take what time you need, Heb Rhoneniel. Too much haste now could slow us down later, when we have less time to spare."
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:19 PM   #124
ladyarcana55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
"However sneaky we get, sooner or later one of the Triads is going to run across someone we talked to, if only by accident. If we badly mislead someone to get information, how are they going to feel when a Triad rubs their face in the Truth? Aren't they likely to be a little upset with us and more likely to cooperate with them as a result?"
"I am very concerned that the thought that we would intentionally mislead someone even came up. That is absolutely not my intention. It is possible to be discreet without being misleading. For instance, When we were speaking to Euodias, I was going to use curiosity and a long time away from things as my reasons for asking my questions. Both reasons that are true. I do not see how that can be misleading."

Soma tends to choose her words very carefully, and that is something that becomes more and more obvious as you talk to her.
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:37 PM   #125
Rocket Man

Rudy nods as Soma speaks, again rocking lightly in her bicycle as she responds.

"I understand what you're saying, Soma," she says. "And you're right, to a point. But any time we don't tell the whole truth about what we're looking for and why ... and I'm not suggesting we do that to everyone we meet! ... we are, to some degree, misleading them."

She sighs. "I know what discretion is," she says, dismounting the bicycle again and pacing a little. "I've lived seven years in this city with no one but our side knowing who I am ... and not even all of us, for that matter. I can keep a secret when I need to, even when everything in my soul is pushing me to move quickly and move now."

She looks Soma in the eye. "But I will not give anything less than the truth to the angels of this Tether. Not Euodias, not Polly, not even stiff-necked Soren or the Seneschal, Hallaren ... especially not Hallaren. They are my family, and if I need to call on their aid, they will know the reason why -- just as I would expect them to be honest with their reasons in calling on me. I will fence and dance with anyone else you care to name, human or celestial, but I will not keep my family in the dark. "

Last edited by Rocket Man; 09-12-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:57 PM   #126
Dalillama

Quote:
She looks Soma in the eye. "But I will not give anything less than the truth to the angels of this Tether. Not Euodias, not Polly, not even stiff-necked Soren or the Seneschal, Hallaren ... especially not Hallaren. They are my family, and if I need to call on their aid, they will know the reason why -- just as I would expect them to be honest with their reasons in calling on me. I will fence and dance with anyone else you care to name, human or celestial, but I will not keep my family in the dark. "
Baz nods as Rudy finishes, and agrees: "Although I have no such ties to those here, my thoughts ran in the same lines, I must say. If the Bright Lady did not trust her Servitors here, then she would surely have chosen another place to impart our mission; thus, I consider them to be our colleagues, and cooperation among colleagues is ill-served by obfuscation. When we need information from others, we can of course shade our purpose if needs be to accomplish our goal, but I prefer that such be reserved for opponents rather than allies."
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:59 PM   #127
ladyarcana55

Quote:
"I understand your concern, really I do. But my contention is that by letting them in on this we may have put them in some danger. Alastair already said that there is a Triad here and that they suspect the residents at this tether of harboring Renegades and such. The last thing I am sure we want is for a Triad to really focus on the people here."
Old 09-12-2009, 11:05 PM   #128
Andygal

"I understand your feelings, but there is more at stake here then your personal feelings. In any case, nobody is asking you to lie to anybody here, you can simply say that Novalis has assigned you to work on a delicate mission that needs to be kept discreet. Which is true, and they ought to understand that some missions need to be kept discreet."

"That said, I understand the logic of telling the Seneschal, Seneschals get to their position because they are trustworthy and capable and they have rank and respect and could use that to get others to help us without telling THEM the details. However that is my opinion and I think we should have a consensus on that before we do anything. "

She nods at Soma, "Exactly, if/when Judgement finds out what we are doing, and finds out that other people knew and didn't tell them, those other people could ALSO be in trouble. You may put them in danger of censure by telling them the details of what we are doing and then asking them to keep secrets from Judgement."

Last edited by Andygal; 09-12-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Andygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:08 PM   #129
Rocket Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarcana55 View Post
"I understand your concern, really I do. But my contention is that by letting them in on this we may have put them in some danger. Alastair already said that there is a Triad here and that they suspect the residents at this tether of harboring Renegades and such. The last thing I am sure we want is for a Triad to really focus on the people here."
"I pity any Triad that tries to interrogate a Bright," Rudy chuckles. "If she sees how badly they Need the information ..."

She sobers. "Soma, I appreciate you looking out for my family," she says kindly. "But we've dealt with Triads before. If they start focusing more closely on the angels here, it'll be because something outside this Tether tipped the Judges off ... and if that's the case, they'll never believe the folks here weren't involved anyway. Ignorance may well be more dangerous than knowledge."

She places a friendly hand on Soma's shoulder. "I promise, I won't bring in anyone else from here if it's not necessary," Rudy says. "But if you need me to bring in someone from this Tether, I bring them in all the way. All or nothing. I'm sorry if that makes you uncomfortable, but I can't deal with my family any other way. "

Last edited by Rocket Man; 09-12-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:18 PM   #130
ladyarcana55

"Well, we all need to respect everyone's views and beliefs. I am sure we can all readily agree on that. Now, we just need to agree on certain boundaries. First off, what are we going to tell people when we question them? It should be something we can all agree on and feel comfortable with. Second, if anyone has any...hesitations or personal mores, we really should discuss them now."

Tags
eli, in nomine, net play, pbp