Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-19-2022, 06:52 AM   #1
804_C0N

Default Psionic Teleportation Power Assistance

I am a player in a relatively low point campaign (50 Pts, 15 disads) and I'm having trouble getting a combination of Advantages that work.

This campaign has darkness powers and limited psionics (nothing that affects objects like TK or healing) and I am having trouble figuring out how to have my character be able to appear in his younger brothers shadow when he is feeling stressed/scared.

I've figured this is some combination of Warp and detect with reflexive, but I'm lost on the specifics on what exactly warp needs and what else the detect would need.

Any help with this combination, or any other combination you can think of would be greatly appreciated.
804_C0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 07:41 AM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Psionic Teleportation Power Assistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 804_C0N View Post
I am a player in a relatively low point campaign (50 Pts, 15 disads) and I'm having trouble getting a combination of Advantages that work.

I'm afraid your concept might be too high cost for your campaign. What Warp needs without Limitations is 100 pts and you don't have those. You can use Limitations to reduce the cost but without a special exception you can't reduce a Power by more than 80% (20 pts in your case).

My advice is to make your character with everything else you need and then see how many pts you ahve left over. A character who required all of your 65(?) possible pts would be easy to make..

If you can come up with 20 pts then maybe you could do a version of Warp with a lot of Limitations that fit within your 20 pt budget. Except that Basic really wants you to spend at least 5 pts on 1 level of Teleportation Talent. So it'd be 25 pts that you needed.

This is going to be hard and it might be doing something your GM was trying to prevent by setting your pt limit so low. Maybe you need to talk to him.
Old 07-19-2022, 08:34 AM   #3
Donny Brook

This alternative to Warp might work but you'll probably want your GM to approve it.

Assuming for the moment that the brothers have equal CP value, have your character take the brother as an Ally (100% value, 5 points base cost). Set the Frequency of Appearance on a roll of 12 or less (x2 cost, so now at 10 CP), then add Summonable +100%, Feature: (PC goes to Ally instead of Ally goes to PC) +0%, Accessibility (Only when Ally is distressed) -20% [18].
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 08:49 AM   #4
804_C0N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
This alternative to Warp might work but you'll probably want your GM to approve it.

Assuming for the moment that the brothers have equal CP value, have your character take the brother as an Ally (100% value, 5 points base cost). Set the Frequency of Appearance on a roll of 12 or less (x2 cost, so now at 10 CP), then add Summonable +100%, Feature: (PC goes to Ally instead of Ally goes to PC) +0%, Accessibility (Only when Ally is distressed) -20% [18].
I really like this idea, the only thing is my characters younger brother is another player. Are there rules for treating players as allies for cases like this?
Old 07-19-2022, 08:54 AM   #5
804_C0N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I'm afraid your concept might be too high cost for your campaign. What Warp needs without Limitations is 100 pts and you don't have those. You can use Limitations to reduce the cost but without a special exception you can't reduce a Power by more than 80% (20 pts in your case).

My advice is to make your character with everything else you need and then see how many pts you ahve left over. A character who required all of your 65(?) possible pts would be easy to make..

If you can come up with 20 pts then maybe you could do a version of Warp with a lot of Limitations that fit within your 20 pt budget. Except that Basic really wants you to spend at least 5 pts on 1 level of Teleportation Talent. So it'd be 25 pts that you needed.

This is going to be hard and it might be doing something your GM was trying to prevent by setting your pt limit so low. Maybe you need to talk to him.
I believe the main reason our point total is low is to mechanically represent that we are kids/ young adults, and I've set aside 30 pts for this since this is such a limited use case for warp, I assumed there would be enough to get it down to 20, I'm mostly concerned with how more so than the if at the moment
Old 07-19-2022, 08:55 AM   #6
Varyon

Being able to actually Warp to your brother when he's feeling stressed sounds like too much for the kind of campaign it sounds like your GM wants to run, so I'll second the suggestion you go to your GM to make certain he'd be fine with this.

As for building it, the fact you can only teleport to your brother is Warp with some variant of Anchored (which I think makes it so you don't have to see the target to Warp to it, sort of serving as a built-in enhanced version of Blind) - I'd eyeball it at -60%, the same as only being able to teleport to some item that you can move around (the fact the "item" can move around on its own is balanced out by the fact you don't really have control over where it moves to). Appearing in his shadow is largely just a special effect, although you could maybe claim -5% if you expect enemies to use this against you (by setting up the lighting so his shadow is projected onto an unsafe area... or setting up the lighting so that he doesn't have a shadow). Only being able to use the ability when your brother is stressed is a bit hairy; I'd be inclined to just call that -10%, comparable to a Very Common Trigger. To know your brother is stressed, and thus be able to know that your ability is usable, would call for Special Rapport - optionally with some sort of Limitation to only be able to tell when he's stressed (which I'd eyeball at -60%).

So, all told, you're probably looking at something like Special Rapport (Brother; Stress Only -60%) [2] + Warp (Anchored, Brother -60%; Appear in Brother's Shadow -5%; Only When Brother is Stressed -10%) [25].

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 804_C0N View Post
I really like this idea, the only thing is my characters younger brother is another player. Are there rules for treating players as allies for cases like this?
None that I'm aware of, but considering you functionally already have an Ally (in the form of another PC), just charging for the Summonable Enhancement might work. So, if it works on 12 or less, it costs [10] (a 12-or-less Ally built on your number of points would cost [10], and Summonable is +100%, or [+10]; you only pay for Summonable). Obviously, you'd have to run this by the GM... but this may honestly be a more fair cost than using Warp. You could probably still apply the -5% for needing your brother to be currently casting a shadow, as well as the -10% for needing your brother to be stressed, to this cost, dropping it to [8.5], which rounds up to [9].

Last edited by Varyon; 07-19-2022 at 09:00 AM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 08:59 AM   #7
804_C0N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Being able to actually Warp to your brother when he's feeling stressed sounds like too much for the kind of campaign it sounds like your GM wants to run, so I'll second the suggestion you go to your GM to make certain he'd be fine with this.

As for building it, the fact you can only teleport to your brother is Warp with some variant of Anchored (which I think makes it so you don't have to see the target to Warp to it, sort of serving as a built-in enhanced version of Blind) - I'd eyeball it at -60%, the same as only being able to teleport to some item that you can move around (the fact the "item" can move around on its own is balanced out by the fact you don't really have control over where it moves to). Appearing in his shadow is largely just a special effect, although you could maybe claim -5% if you expect enemies to use this against you (by setting up the lighting so his shadow is projected onto an unsafe area... or setting up the lighting so that he doesn't have a shadow). Only being able to use the ability when your brother is stressed is a bit hairy; I'd be inclined to just call that -10%, comparable to a Very Common Trigger. To know your brother is stressed, and thus be able to know that your ability is usable, would call for Special Rapport - optionally with some sort of Limitation to only be able to tell when he's stressed (which I'd eyeball at -60%).

So, all told, you're probably looking at something like Special Rapport (Brother; Stress Only -60%) [2] + Warp (Anchored, Brother -60%; Appear in Brother's Shadow -5%; Only When Brother is Stressed -10%) [25].
Holy smokes, I've completely overlooked special rapport, I was looking around for some sort of way mindlink could get a similar affect, but this works great, Thank you very much